Why Do Doctors Do This?

Peg

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by Peg »

Don't know whether this should go in the Rants section, here, or where, so mods...put it where you want. Anyways, here's the story. My husband went to walk up the stairs and hit his head off the ceiling extremely hard. Being the stubborn man he is, he waited all day and evening to go get checked. He went to the emergency room when the pain got unbearable in his neck. They did x-rays, gave him a shot, told him his back meds should help his neck, and sent him home. Now, 3 days later, I get a call from the doctor who just got his reports. He has to go in Thursday. The nurse said while it is nothing really bad, it definately will explain his pain. Why the mystery? Why not just tell me while you have me on the phone? WHy leave me to worry until Thursday! :-5
Bothwell

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by Bothwell »

Because they like to extend the myth that they are not like the rest of us and wield supernatural powers. I had one of these a few months back and it scared me half to death, it was after an MRI scan and I was thinking the worst. They rang me on the thursday and did not schedule to see me til the following Monday so I had 4 days to imagine the worst. Hope everything is OK
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by lady cop »

another thing Peg, the nurses are not allowed or authorized to give out information or Dx....i would call and insist on speaking to the Dr. or have him return the call personally. i hope all is well also!
robinseggs

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by robinseggs »

Maybe I can help? A good physician would never want to you to be feeling this way while you wait, however there are some reasons that you are also not getting the full story on the phone:

1. You are not the patient. It is against the law for you to receive these results/info about your husband without his written consent.

2. It IS possible the doctor just DOESN'T know yet! Really. He or she may need to do some more tests/examine/get more info and this may require some conversation/mutual decisions about what needs to be done. My guess also is that this isn't even the same doc who saw your husband in the ER???

3. In some cases, the results really ARE bad news and in the end it would be wildly inappropriate to discuss such delicate matters over the phone. You would have all sorts of questions and the doctor would not want to hang up with you being in a terrible state of mind. They need to be with you to gauge your emotional stability over the situation, and treat that also. That said, if the news was tragic, a good physician would never make you wait/wonder--not for a day!

3. Also, if the nurse did tell you over the phone, wouldn't you really rather have the doctor's interpretation anyhow? You're bound to have questions that the doctor can only answer, and for this, you need to make an appt. and SEE him. Although hopefully he or she went into the profession because they sincerely care about people, they ARE also earning a living. (Please don't roll your eyes, here...LOL...they are not greedy...costs are so high because of the very people that don't understand medical legal protocol...like the question you are asking), and therefore the doc must keep malpractice insurance to protect himself legally. These costs are VERY high, enough that some docs could not afford and have been forced out of the profession.

Truthfully, I hope your husband is ok and I am sure he is since the doc isn't seeing him until thursday. Did you ask if he could get in sooner? Also, if your husband just can't stand it and has to know, he should call and let the doc know this. Maybe he CAN talk to him on the phone, but he should not expect to be on the phone long...more than likely there is a waiting room full of patients.

Good luck and hope the best...but P.S. Do you also wonder why your doc can't just call in a prescription without seeing you???!!! LOL
Nature laughs Last
jahamaa

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by jahamaa »

Bothwell wrote: I had one of these a few months back and it scared me half to death, it was after an MRI scan and I was thinking the worst. They rang me on the thursday and did not schedule to see me til the following Monday so I had 4 days to imagine the worst. Hope everything is OK

Bothwell, this is exactly how I react. Drives me nuts. When they finnally tell me what they want you feel like shaking them an screaming THIS IS WHAT YOU COULDN'T SAY OVER THE PHONE?

Peg, My best wishes also, hope your husband will be OK
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
Jives

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by Jives »

Don't look at me. I'm a little miffed at the health system right now after sitting for 8 hours in the emergency room Friday night trying to get someon to look at my wife's feet. (They had gangrene and were extremely painful, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in triage.)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
jahamaa

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by jahamaa »

Jives wrote: Don't look at me. I'm a little miffed at the health system right now after sitting for 8 hours in the emergency room Friday night trying to get someon to look at my wife's feet. (They had gangrene and were extremely painful, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in triage.)
My sweet Lord Jives, I truly hope your wife is OK. That is very scary. My prayers are with you both
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
kensloft

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by kensloft »

In my prayers too.
Jives

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by Jives »

thanks you guys. She's still in the hospital, and on antibiotics. I don't think she's going to lose her feet...but it's still iffy.
abbey

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by abbey »

Jives wrote: thanks you guys. She's still in the hospital, and on antibiotics. I don't think she's going to lose her feet...but it's still iffy.
Wow Jives, so sorry to hear this news, my thoughts are with you & your wife x
smithy87

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by smithy87 »

First of all Jives, hope your wife makes a full and speedy recovery.

I recently collapsed while out shopping with my husband. It turns out my heartbeat and pulse my not be in line with each other, so I have to go for a 24hr heart trace. Because of my age (I'm only 24) its important for my heart to be looked at asap. So I'm booked in for my 24hr ECG two weeks on Friday!!! What good is that? My doctor won't put a fast track on it because he wants me to have a blood test first. So today, I give my blood but won't hear my results for another week! In the meantime I'll spend my time worrying I'm going to keel over!!! :rolleyes:

The National Health Service leaves a lot to be desired :mad:
abbey

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by abbey »

Smithy, it really pains me to say this, but there's a lot to say for going private, the national health system is a disgrace :mad:

Take it easy luv, hope your tests go well for you x
Jives

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by Jives »

Ooooo....that's spooky Smithy. I'm so sorry to hear that, you're too young to have problems like that to think about.

I guess the only good news I can give you is that the state of the art in medicine these days is unreal. They can cure a rainy day. So it's good that they caught it early and you will most likely be OK......worried, and uneccessarily stressed, but OK.
minks

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by minks »

Peg and Jives I wish yous both luck with your partners.

Peg Here in Canada Land it is a huge gigantic grievous breach of privacy to discuss a patience issues over the telephone. Dr to patient is impossible as our Dr.s never get on the phone, so for the nurse to call is not accepted.

Ah welcome to the Canadian medical association wahooo :P
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
kensloft

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by kensloft »

Glad to hear that your wife could be OK, Jives.

Sorry to hear about your fainting smithy87.

About the only good thing that you could say for the medical establishment in England is that you are not going to go broke, mortgage your house and lose what little that you have.

If you are insured it is OK in the U.S. But if you aren't then you are going to lose all the little that you have to pay the doctors' and hospitals' bills. Doctors should have the right to the freedom to commercialize their expertise as soon as every citizen has the right to health care that is delivered by doctors who are paid by the taxes of the people it serves. Health care for the rich is as bad as paying taxes to King George. No difference between the peasants of yore and the peasants of today.
smithy87

Why Do Doctors Do This?

Post by smithy87 »

abbey wrote: Smithy, it really pains me to say this, but there's a lot to say for going private, the national health system is a disgrace :mad:

Take it easy luv, hope your tests go well for you x

I know, I keep saying I'm going to sort it out for me and my family. Maybe this scare is the push I need?

Return to “Health Care”