Sniffling mice

koan

Sniffling mice

Post by koan »

Scientists have created a mouse that can catch a cold - raising hopes of new ways to treat serious respiratory conditions and asthma.

source

hey, wait...

Scientists have created a mouse that can catch a cold? Those sick bastards! :mad:
along-for-the-ride

Sniffling mice

Post by along-for-the-ride »

For you, Koan.........

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Galbally

Sniffling mice

Post by Galbally »

Yes, well I presume that if by doing this research they develop a cure that will prevent asthmatic children or vulnerable elderly people from dying from complications due to having a cold, you will lessen your outrage a little. They don't do these things just for the sake of it, and you have to justify all research using animals to regulatory bodies. Though actually on first hearing of this, I would worry about allowing the virus to inhabit the bodies of genetically altered mice, because of the possibility of unforseen consequences due to novel mutation within the genetically altered cells of the animal. Though I don't know anything about the precise science of what has been done here, and it would always be a remote possibility, but with something as readily transferable as a cold you could never be too cautious. It would be something of a interesting revenge for the lab animals, if a mutated version of the virus was created by this process that subsequently escaped and killed off say 70 percent of humanity. Though a Pyhrric victory for the animal rights activists to say the least. :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
koan

Sniffling mice

Post by koan »

Galbally;771137 wrote: It would be something of a interesting revenge for the lab animals, if a mutated version of the virus was created by this process that subsequently escaped and killed off say 70 percent of humanity.

That's mostly what I found disturbing. That they might test cures for asthma or colds on mice doesn't bother me, it was the part about genetically altering existing species so that they become sickly and more suitable for testing that I think starts 'playing God' a bit too much. I just don't think that control exists. They create it but they don't control it.

Return to “Health Care”