Gun Industry Marketing Kids

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I wasn't sure whether or not to post the NY Times article first or the Slate Article. I'm going with Slate because 1) they can use the exposure and 2) you can get to Times article from the Slate article.

The findings of NYT investigation are, needless to say, troubling. The gun industry has invested a lot of money and time into researching child-centered marketing, while also pitching the idea to their already existing customer base that getting your kids to start playing with guns at a young age imparts important life lessons. And yes, "playing" is the operative word here. When it comes to marketing guns to kids, gun industry spokesmen don't just shy away from reminding potential customers that guns are weapons, but sometimes outright deny it, as did Andy Fink, the editor of Junior Shooters magazine.

The gun industry wants to sell your kid an AR-15: The New York Times investigates.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1418053 wrote: I wasn't sure whether or not to post the NY Times article first or the Slate Article. I'm going with Slate because 1) they can use the exposure and 2) you can get to Times article from the Slate article.

The gun industry wants to sell your kid an AR-15: The New York Times investigates.

Shocked, just shocked.:yh_rotfl
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Fiend

Post by Fiend »

Next up - hand grenade shaped pacifiers.

It's a sick sad world.
Minxing the world! @ Nothing Exchange
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1418110 wrote: Shocked, just shocked.:yh_rotflDo you ever grow tired of appearing idiotic?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1418219 wrote: Do you ever grow tired of appearing idiotic?

I suppose I should apololgize.

Just cracked me up that both you and me don't see any difference between Slate or the New York Times.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1418223 wrote: I suppose I should apololgize.

Just cracked me up that both you and me don't see any difference between Slate or the New York Times.That's an astonishingly misinterpretation of what I wrote, though I'm beginning to expect it from you. I hope you don't feel obligated to respond to my posts or participate in threads I initiate.

I prefer meaningful and thoughtful dialogue.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1418053 wrote: The gun industry wants to sell your kid an AR-15: The New York Times investigates.
Kids can't buy fire arms. Only adults can. The best time to learn proper respect of a fire arm is when you're young, imo.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

There's no denying children are going to be conditioned into one behavior or another. I look at all the potential lying around the ground lining up targets or dipping their line into the water and think about how much potential of human resource is being wasted on learning sh!t that hasn't mattered for, oh I don't know - at least a century or so - under the guise of self-defense and survival.

The species needs all the help it can get in order to prevent self-annihilation and too many of the offspring are being taught to fear one another. This is just counter productive, imo.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

As a child I was never injured by a toy gun but I almost lost an eye to a toy bow and arrow. Like most kids in the UK I was brought up on a diet of war comics and commando books - even the beano glorified violence in a way maybe the problem with america is batman and superman comics kids grow up with the delusion they are superman and everything has an easy solution just use your super powers or an assault rifle on people who are annoying you.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1418289 wrote: There's no denying children are going to be conditioned into one behavior or another. I look at all the potential lying around the ground lining up targets or dipping their line into the water and think about how much potential of human resource is being wasted on learning sh!t that hasn't mattered for, oh I don't know - at least a century or so - under the guise of self-defense and survival.

The species needs all the help it can get in order to prevent self-annihilation and too many of the offspring are being taught to fear one another. This is just counter productive, imo.
Is anatomy important? Ecology? How about biology or the interdependence of biomes? Mechanics? Geometry? Psychology? Sociology? Impact of our actions on others? Conservation? Pollution?

Yeh, none of that has mattered for at least a century.

You don't know sh!t, you pompous numskull.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1418298 wrote: Is anatomy important? Ecology? How about biology or the interdependence of biomes? Mechanics? Geometry? Psychology? Sociology? Impact of our actions on others? Conservation? Pollution?

Yeh, none of that has mattered for at least a century.

You don't know sh!t, you pompous numskull.Oops! Did I hurt your feelings or something? I definitely touched a nerve. Oh well! You'll get over it. How about if I add: "but what about the constitution?" - does that satisfy you?

ETA: Are you claiming all that is learned through shooting and fishing?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1418299 wrote: Oops! Did I hurt your feelings or something? I definitely touched a nerve. Oh well! You'll get over it. How about if I add: "but what about the constitution?" - does that satisfy you?

ETA: Are you claiming all that is learned through shooting and fishing?You clearly think yourself intelligent and compassionate, yet spout some really stupid crap without thought. And yes, thoughtless stupid gets on my nerves.

Try to imagine yourself going hunting or fishing. If it helps, start with imagining yourself as a child walking through the woods with a trusted and knowledgeable adult. While all you see are trees and grass, the adult point out a squirrel sitting motionless on a tree limb. Why is the squirrel holding so still? Why is he in an oak tree? Why does he run away when you call instead of coming to you like a dog might? These are all things an adult can teach a kid just walking through the woods.

Now imagine all the questions a child might have when going hunting or fishing. So many interesting things to learn. Ever clean a fish? Those aren't just "guts".

I'm out of time, but the slightest effort to think would show you just how stupid your comment was.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1418304 wrote: You clearly think yourself intelligent and compassionate, yet spout some really stupid crap without thought. And yes, thoughtless stupid gets on my nerves.

Try to imagine yourself going hunting or fishing. If it helps, start with imagining yourself as a child walking through the woods with a trusted and knowledgeable adult. While all you see are trees and grass, the adult point out a squirrel sitting motionless on a tree limb. Why is the squirrel holding so still? Why is he in an oak tree? Why does he run away when you call instead of coming to you like a dog might? These are all things an adult can teach a kid just walking through the woods.

Now imagine all the questions a child might have when going hunting or fishing. So many interesting things to learn. Ever clean a fish? Those aren't just "guts".

I'm out of time, but the slightest effort to think would show you just how stupid your comment was.You misunderstood my post.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1418306 wrote: You misunderstood my post.
So clarify.

Return to “Gun Control”