Bullets and Rifles and Guns! OH MY!!

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1413195 wrote: You contradicted yourself again.

Unless you can find a correlation between crime and death reduction in the US population with increased gun ownership and carry permits your argument is moot and your statistics are worthless to this discussion.

I dunno.

Seems I shouldn't be so lazy and spell it all out to ya'all.

Back in post #77 I wrote

I am not saying this proves a contention that more guns equal less crime. But at the very least more guns don't hurt.

Admittedly it was not all that eloquent, but I deliberately made that sentence to avoid any thought I was making an argument that more guns equals less crime.

To my satisfaction, or my contention, it has been proven that more guns equals less crime. I would just rather not debate that here.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1413196 wrote: Your statement wasn't "nice", it was patronizing, and you know it.

OK

I wish harm on you and your family.

Feel better now?

Dude

Chill
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1413251 wrote: Unless the majority of Americans want it to. (See: Prohibition)

The Constitution is, and was always meant to be, a living document that could change with the times. (Hence "Amendments" meaning "to change!") The Founding Fathers were wise enough to understand that the future could involve things they were incapable of imagining and would need laws for.

Things such as cloning, stem cell research, space travel, nuclear weapons...and thousands of Americans dead by American guns in American hands.

Article V is the only way to amend the Constitution.

I am fully aware that there are some who feel their little concerns override the rule of law.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1413240 wrote: No worries Ahso, I have lived long enough to recognise a bluff and bluster type bully.

He reckons his country America is NOT a democracy, but is a Republic.......I wouldn't know of course..........because I am not form his country.......like I don't really know enough to chat the same phart as he does.

He appears to believe the American Constitution was carved in blocks of stone.....(Bet its a bugger for the stonemason.....every time there's an Amendment)

Twenty seven (27) so far according to my limited understanding.....mind you the stonemason shouldn't have bothered chiseling the 18th, the buggers amended it back, bet he was fuming.

That's funny.:wah:
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1413286 wrote: Article V is the only way to amend the Constitution.

I am fully aware that there are some who feel their little concerns override the rule of law.

This past Friday's event, & the ones proceeding it, like Aurora, are not little concerns. They are big concerns. Sometimes, the rule of law should be changed, i.e. segregation. I don't see a ban on assault weapons, or the ability to shoot huge amounts of bullets almost at once, to be against the 2nd amendment.

Anyway, welcome back Mr. Dog! :yh_smiley
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Flop

I wouldn't want a teacher to be allowed to have a gun in a class room and I'm not sure it would be of any use - meaning - the gun would be locked up right - unloaded. By the time the teacher got the key to the proper storage of the gun - nervously loads the gun & ??

Noticed the article is from Texas - Texas is all about go big or go home..::wah:

If Teachers are armed do you really want your daughter attending a classroom with a gun available? Not me I don't want to be around a gun - I don't want my family / child around a gun just to read a book.. NO - I'd be looking into home schooling, and many parents maybe doing just that.?

It's a crazy idea - a panic solution

Patsy
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Patsy Warnick;1413293 wrote: Flop

I wouldn't want a teacher to be allowed to have a gun in a class room and I'm not sure it would be of any use - meaning - the gun would be locked up right - unloaded. By the time the teacher got the key to the proper storage of the gun - nervously loads the gun & ??

Noticed the article is from Texas - Texas is all about go big or go home..::wah:

If Teachers are armed do you really want your daughter attending a classroom with a gun available? Not me I don't want to be around a gun - I don't want my family / child around a gun just to read a book.. NO - I'd be looking into home schooling, and many parents maybe doing just that.?

PatsyGood point, Patsy. I think there's the idea out there that a teacher from another class room will come to the rescue with their firearm. But I'd think the time spent being the hero would take away from securing the other children. What if the shooter has semi automatic guns and lots of ammo and picks off these heroes as they try to get him or her? What if there's more than one shooter? Another father or mother killed because they had visions of being Chuck Norris. Just plain phucking stupid.

Hear the latest from the right? We should all get combat training. JFC!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1412900 wrote: It does always seem to be young white guys, doesn't it?I thought this piece might interest you. I personally don't make all the same connections the writer does but it's a perspective worth considering all the same.

...take a moment and imagine what the archetypical image of a mass murderer in the United States looks like. Is he white in your mind? This image can only be attributed to the truth of those patterns that have established themselves, from Charles Whitman’s 1966 shooting spree at the University of Texas, to Timothy McVeigh’s 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, to the 1999 Columbine massacre, to Wade Michael Page’s 2012 attack on the Sikh temple in Wisconsin. The mass murderer is a type. And his race is white...

...I would argue that maleness and whiteness are commodities in decline. And while those of us who are not male or white have enjoyed some benefits from their decline, the sort of violence and murder that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary will continue to occur if we do not find a way to carry them along with us in our successes rather than leaving them behind.

Guns and the Decline of the Young Man - NYTimes.com

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ahso!;1413306 wrote: I thought this article might interest you. I personally don't make all the same connections the writer does but it's a perspective worth considering all the same.

Guns and the Decline of the Young Man - NYTimes.comAnd some related charts worth examining.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homici ... acesex.cfm

Attached files

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1413220 wrote: Here's an idea...

Stop school shootings by letting teachers fire back, say Texas officials | Fox News
We were discussing this just this morning ... over the latest last-minute tasking we received via 7pm email. The tasking is due tomorrow & will take hours to compile. Arming teachers might not be such a good idea. ijs
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1413312 wrote: We were discussing this just this morning ... over the latest last-minute tasking we received via 7pm email. The tasking is due tomorrow & will take hours to compile. Arming teachers might not be such a good idea. ijs

I agree. One of my posts somewhere on this site says that. If we arm our teachers/school staff, we then have to be able to trust that none of them have issues.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

A child brought his Dad's gun to school today

he felt he needed protection.

the gun was loaded - he was showing other kids - he'd protect them too.

obviously that gun wasn't locked up either..

Parents need to discuss this tragedy with their kids - there seems to be a panic within them also.

Patsy
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1413308 wrote: And some related charts worth examining.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Age, Gender, and Race

So what happened to America between 1988 and 1998?

Whatever it was it had a serious effect on the homicide rates.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1413409 wrote: So what happened to America between 1988 and 1998?

Whatever it was it had a serious effect on the homicide rates.You mean for blacks, don't you? I don't know. Could have been gang related violence.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1413420 wrote: You mean for blacks, don't you? I don't know. Could have been gang related violence.

Just as marked a spike in the figures for young white males - that's what made it so surprising.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1413426 wrote: Just as marked a spike in the figures for young white males - that's what made it so surprising.Ah! The 14 to 17 year olds. 14 is about the time of puberty. Some might say they're competing for status. New raging hormones.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Is that about the time our "War on drugs" started?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1413428 wrote: Is that about the time our "War on drugs" started?The war on drugs began with Nixon but Reagan did escalate it big time. Not sure when but I'd imagine that would have been in his first term. Bush Sr was elected in 88.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1413427 wrote: Ah! The 14 to 17 year olds. 14 is about the time of puberty. Some might say they're competing for status. New raging hormones.

But that's the case for all generations - why in that ten year period should the figures more than double and then drop back?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1413431 wrote: But that's the case for all generations - why in that ten year period should the figures more than double and then drop back?You're right. Maybe the girls looked prettier between 88 and 98? *kidding*.

I just can't think of anything out of the ordinary.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I found this..

U.S.

A new drug Crack appears ( A derivative of Cocaine ) and is increasingly found in US Cities

What Happened in 1988 inc. Pop Culture, Prices and Events
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1413435 wrote: I found this..

U.S.

A new drug Crack appears ( A derivative of Cocaine ) and is increasingly found in US Cities

Found another one..

The Antidepressant Prozac introduced which quickly became the market leader for treating depression
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

U.S.

So a chemically fuelled blip? Sounds plausible.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

.......In each year since 1988, more than 80% of homicide victims 15 to 19 years of age were killed with a firearm. In 1997, 85% of homicide victims 15 to 19 years of age were killed with a firearm.2

Arrest rates for weapons offenses among youths 10 to 17 years of age doubled between 1987 and 1993, then dropped 24% by 1997

...It is impossible to ignore the patterns of violence that emerge by race and gender. While these patterns are obvious, the causes that give rise to them are not. To get a complete picture of violence across the various populations of the United States, it is important to also look beyond gender and race at issues such as poverty, education and geographic location. This type of analysis goes beyond the purpose of this editorial. It is eye-opening, nonetheless, to look at superficial patterns, presented below:... ..The rise in violence peaked in the year 1993 when there were 15.4 deaths by firearm injury per 100,000 people. This fell to 12.1 per 100,000 in 1997. The reasons for this decline in recent years are unclear. It may be due to a number of factors such as better law enforcement, better prevention programs, the decline in crack use, and the incarceration or the death of many of the individuals in high-risk groups. In 1993 worldwide, over one million people died as a result of suicide or homicide.12 As a result, there is a widespread belief that much of the world is experiencing an epidemic of violence..... http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics ... enceUS.cfm

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1413438 wrote: .... Violence in the United States

Interesting article - this quote from the New England Journal of Medicine is telling :-

People living in households in which guns are kept have a risk of suicide that is 5 times greater than people living in households without guns.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

U.S.

I think you must be right. I was living in NH during that time that crack appeared & I went to NYC a few times a year to visit friends. Some live on the lower east side. It seemed epidemic, and was quite apparent on the street, the stumbling around & other crack behaviors. They were scary & short-tempered as I recall. Crack even appeared in my little town at that time. Crack whores. Would do the job for $5, as that was one of the appeals of crack, it was very cheap.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1413430 wrote: The war on drugs began with Nixon but Reagan did escalate it big time. Not sure when but I'd imagine that would have been in his first term. Bush Sr was elected in 88.
Yes, partisan, and Clinton was elected in '92. Dems were in charge of Congress almost the entire time mentioned. I guess all that just slipped your mind, eh? Why would you imply that GHW Bush's presidency would have an impact lasting through Clinton's first term?

Consider it rhetorical. I hate partisan tap dances.

I found this Report: Understanding Why Crime Fell in the 1990s: Four Factors that Explain the Decline and Six that Do Not, by Steven D. Levitt

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/ ... me2004.pdf

I haven't read the conclusions yet, but I found Table 4 interesting. It seems the homicide rate peaked during a time of bipartisan control (Dem Congress, Repub President). I don't know if there is a real connection, but the correlation is interesting.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1413465 wrote: Yes, partisan, and Clinton was elected in '92. Dems were in charge of Congress almost the entire time mentioned. I guess all that just slipped your mind, eh? Why would you imply that GHW Bush's presidency would have an impact lasting through Clinton's first term?

Consider it rhetorical. I hate partisan tap dances.

I found this Report: Understanding Why Crime Fell in the 1990s: Four Factors that Explain the Decline and Six that Do Not, by Steven D. Levitt

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/ ... me2004.pdf

I haven't read the conclusions yet, but I found Table 4 interesting. It seems the homicide rate peaked during a time of bipartisan control (Dem Congress, Repub President). I don't know if there is a real connection, but the correlation is interesting.It was strictly information that Wisey was referring to. Boy, you are really obsessed with me, aren't you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

U.S.

AnneBoleyn;1413450 wrote: I think you must be right. I was living in NH during that time that crack appeared & I went to NYC a few times a year to visit friends. Some live on the lower east side. It seemed epidemic, and was quite apparent on the street, the stumbling around & other crack behaviors. They were scary & short-tempered as I recall. Crack even appeared in my little town at that time. Crack whores. Would do the job for $5, as that was one of the appeals of crack, it was very cheap.
Some more support:

The spread of crack cocaine took on epidemic proportions between 1984 and 1990 when the drugs’ popularity spread throughout major cities in the United States. Because of this epidemic the number of Americans that became addicted to cocaine increased dramatically. For example the number of people in 1985 who admitted to using cocaine increased from 4.2 million to 5.8 million (source: Department of Health And Human Services). And that’s just the people who admitted to being addicted.The history of crack cocaine |
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1413441 wrote: Interesting article - this quote from the New England Journal of Medicine is telling :-....Abstract

Objectives. In this study we explored the association between rates of household firearm ownership and homicide across the United States, by age groups.

Methods. We used cross-sectional time-series data (1988–1997) to estimate the association between rates of household firearm ownership and homicide.

Results. In region- and state-level analyses, a robust association between rates of household firearm ownership and homicide was found. Regionally, the association exists for victims aged 5 to 14 years and those 35 years and older. At the state level, the association exists for every age group over age 5, even after controlling for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, alcohol consumption, and nonlethal violent crime. Rates of Household Firearm Ownership and Homicide Across US Regions and States, 1988–1997

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Piers Morgan "interviewed" the NRA pres. I've never watched his show. Does Piers always lose it like that?

Repost.Us Article Search
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Accountable;1413478 wrote: Piers Morgan "interviewed" the NRA pres. I've never watched his show. Does Piers always lose it like that?

Repost.Us Article Search

I have yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why we should have to endure the likes of Piers Morgan. He's a detestable creature with no redeemable value or talent. Please accept him on our behalf, along with that other cretinous nonentity Jeremy Kyle and assign them a place in broadcasting history, where they might gather dust and rot.

Or to put it another way, he's a knob
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1413289 wrote: This past Friday's event, & the ones proceeding it, like Aurora, are not little concerns. They are big concerns. Sometimes, the rule of law should be changed, i.e. segregation. I don't see a ban on assault weapons, or the ability to shoot huge amounts of bullets almost at once, to be against the 2nd amendment.

Anyway, welcome back Mr. Dog! :yh_smiley

Maybe a bad choice of words, as of course murder is always a big concern.

Segregation, "Jim Crow" laws were unConstitutional, and the Supreme Court and Congress did more than act to correct the legal inequity.

I beg to differ in that I see the 2nd Amendment was designed exactly to preserve citizens rights to bear such arms.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Actually, we limit the second amendment all the time. You can't have a bazooka, tank, fully automatic machine-gun, silencer, or heavy weapon like a howitzer or grenade. What's the difference if we limit semi-automatics and assault rifles too?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1413523 wrote: Maybe a bad choice of words, as of course murder is always a big concern.

Segregation, "Jim Crow" laws were unConstitutional, and the Supreme Court and Congress did more than act to correct the legal inequity.

I beg to differ in that I see the 2nd Amendment was designed exactly to preserve citizens rights to bear such arms.

Are you saying that because citizens were always able to possess the latest in weaponry when it comes to handguns & rifles/shotguns so even though gun technology exploded, like in many areas, even though this makes the weapon more dangerous, that this in itself should not deny a citizen from bearing this particular arm? Please explain yourself, give me a reason.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Are there Laws in America to curb over loud music that could annoy neighbours ?

I think you guys might call this a curve ball.......(really getting into your culture now)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1413532 wrote: Are there Laws in America to curb over loud music that could annoy neighbours ?

I think you guys might call this a curve ball.......(really getting into your culture now)

Yeah! What we do is, we go over with shotguns & blast that drum kit, that boom box, whatever offends! Then we have some beers. Yeah.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1413532 wrote: Are there Laws in America to curb over loud music that could annoy neighbours ?

I think you guys might call this a curve ball.......(really getting into your culture now)We have local noise ordinances; they usually kick in after a certain time, like say 7 or 10pm

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1413541 wrote: We have local noise ordinances; they usually kick in after a certain time, like say 7 or 10pm

Obviously we hung out in different crowds. :wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I was just trying to show in my own way that you too are at least as civilised (without a zee) as us over here.

It is all about being social or not antisocial in close proximity to others.

Allowing the macho types to express their masculinity by firing off missiles at things in single shots, giving them the need to cock the bloody gun while slaughtering the neighbours, and so giving the neighbours a sporting chance, rather than out gunning them with hitech combat armaments.

If it really is all about the right to protect, a shot into the air might be just as affective as a burst of automatic fire, but less lethal....................:thinking:
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1413525 wrote: Actually, we limit the second amendment all the time. You can't have a bazooka, tank, fully automatic machine-gun, silencer, or heavy weapon like a howitzer or grenade. What's the difference if we limit semi-automatics and assault rifles too?

I know our rights already been infringed on many levels. Doesn't make it right.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Actually, the second amendment was created because Jefferson didn't trust standing armies and wanted the citizens to band as local militias. However, we now have those standing armies and I believe the second amendment has outlived its use and is in fact now proving to be an impediment to our freedom.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1413526 wrote: Are you saying that because citizens were always able to possess the latest in weaponry when it comes to handguns & rifles/shotguns so even though gun technology exploded, like in many areas, even though this makes the weapon more dangerous, that this in itself should not deny a citizen from bearing this particular arm? Please explain yourself, give me a reason.

My favorite handgun is my full sized 1911 semi auto. The full size has a 5" barrel. I daily carry a 1911 3", a little easier to conceal. The 1911, as you may guess was first adopted by the US Army in 1911, and until a few years ago was still standard issue. I first use one when I was in the Army. I understand some special forces in the Army and Marines still use them. The Los Angeles SWAT teams use full sized 1911s.

I could go on in praise of the 1911.

As far as deadly or reliable, nothing beats it.

Now there are some who like the Glock 19 with 18 rounds IIRC, the 1911 is half that.. I don't see the Glock as being more deadly just because of the extra capacity as I could carry and extra 7 or 8 round mag.

Rifle technology hasn't got any more deadly since the development of semi auto rifles.

That fact was laid bare back when the now old AWB was a purely cosmetic. Remove pistol grip, bayonet mount and folding stock, it was legal.

Shotguns, except for big magazines, nothing new there.

I don't know what more to tell you.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1413558 wrote: Actually, the second amendment was created because Jefferson didn't trust standing armies and wanted the citizens to band as local militias. However, we now have those standing armies and I believe the second amendment has outlived its use and is in fact now proving to be an impediment to our freedom.

uh, I could be wrong, but I believe he wasn't even in the country at that time.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1413561 wrote: uh, I could be wrong, but I believe he wasn't even in the country at that time.At what time?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Patsy Warnick;1413293 wrote: Flop

Patsy

If a teacher is willing and able to take responsibility of a gun, I don't see the problem.

If he/she doesn't want to carry it on their person all day, there are numerous secure products which allow easy access to the gun.

I have one I use when I have to leave my gun in my truck. Simple combination, and 5 seconds later the box is open.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Saint_;1413525 wrote: Actually, we limit the second amendment all the time. You can't have a bazooka, tank, fully automatic machine-gun, silencer, or heavy weapon like a howitzer or grenade. What's the difference if we limit semi-automatics and assault rifles too?
I'd prefer we honor the Rule of Law rather than trying to circumvent it when it becomes inconvenient. IMO, allowing Washington to cut corners is what has eroded our liberties.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What is your definition of "well regulated"?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1413576 wrote: What is your definition of "well regulated"?
The "well regulated" phrase clearly refers to the militia. The final clause of the sentence - "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - is so broad as to be absolute.

Resist the urge to write your passive aggressive setup questions and make your point.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1413584 wrote: The "well regulated" phrase clearly refers to the militia. The final clause of the sentence - "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - is so broad as to be absolute.

Resist the urge to write your passive aggressive setup questions and make your point.You know, you really have me all wrong. I'm not a person who plans, you can ask anyone who knows me. I don't even plan what's for dinner; when the time arrives I go looking for something to eat or go about putting something together. Can I plan if I try? Yes, but I have no interest in it whatsoever and so that's rare because I occupy my thoughts with other things. As thoughts and questions pop into my head and I more or less choose to entertain them or not I let things unfold as they might. I'm not passive/aggressive in the slightest, I'm quite spontaneous and blunt.

I have the idea that well regulated would imply sophistication to some extent.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Gun Control”