Who should decide?

User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Who should decide?

Post by Accountable »

The US Supreme Court was wrong in even hearing Roe v Wade. The Constitution does not address abortion, and specifically says that any issues not in the US Constitution are the purview of the States.
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Who should decide?

Post by chonsigirl »

I know you are going to bring up state rights v federal rights on this issue.

But there are more issues then just abortion that the federal government has chosen to decide besides abortion. How would you curtail the growing power of the central government?
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Who should decide?

Post by chonsigirl »

I agree with that, Snooze. I would want to be informed of anything of that nature concerning a minor child. Parental consent is different in the various states on this issue.
User avatar
SOJOURNER
Posts: 5362
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:32 am

Who should decide?

Post by SOJOURNER »

I use to know the answer to this.

I don't any more.
User avatar
Lon
Posts: 9476
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Who should decide?

Post by Lon »

Most of those that oppose abortion are coming at the issue from a religious angle and to even involve the individual states or Federal Government brings in the issue of "Separation of Church & State".
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Who should decide?

Post by Accountable »

Lon wrote: Most of those that oppose abortion are coming at the issue from a religious angle and to even involve the individual states or Federal Government brings in the issue of "Separation of Church & State".
I don't. I am tired of killing an unborn child under clinical conditions being called abortion, thus okay - yet killing an unborn child through other means, such as shooting a pregnant woman in the stomach, is considered murder.



Either it is or it isn't. I think we should decide and stand by that decision instead of pussyfooting around.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Who should decide?

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl wrote: I know you are going to bring up state rights v federal rights on this issue.



But there are more issues then just abortion that the federal government has chosen to decide besides abortion. How would you curtail the growing power of the central government?
I wish I could come up with an answer to that question, Chonsi.



Regardless of my thoughts or opinion, this issue is too divisive to dictate a single answer to the entire nation at this time. Since the Constitution doesn't address the issue, it just makes more sense that the States decide, which would give the citizens a choice of where they want to live, if nothing else.
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Who should decide?

Post by Peg »

Accountable wrote: I don't. I am tired of killing an unborn child under clinical conditions being called abortion, thus okay - yet killing an unborn child through other means, such as shooting a pregnant woman in the stomach, is considered murder.



Either it is or it isn't. I think we should decide and stand by that decision instead of pussyfooting around.
Good point. I never thought about it that way before.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Who should decide?

Post by Accountable »

JAB wrote: Makes two of us.



I always thought it's easy to be against abortion until you're a frightened, pregnant woman who is faced with having to make the decision to have or not have an abotion.
Lots of people are against it without supporting banning the practice. Hope that helps.
Lenn
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Who should decide?

Post by Lenn »

Accountable;220783 wrote: yet killing an unborn child through other means, such as shooting a pregnant woman in the stomach, is considered murder.




That's an interesting legal issue. I wonder how it is under american common law, which I don't know, namely if shooting a pregnant woman is a murder of one person or a murder of two persons? As far as I concern in most civilised legal systems in such a situation we have no more than one murder of one person - the woman. Luckily, a fetus is not considered a fully-fledged human-being.

Return to “Abortion”