CVX

US Tightens Border For Illegals... But Not Mexicans

Post by CVX »

Expanded Use Of Expedited Removal 'Not

For Citizens Of Mexico Or Canada'

By Paul Koring

The Globe and Mail

8-11-4

WASHINGTON -- Anyone caught sneaking into the United States across land borders from Canada or Mexico faces deportation with no right to an immigration hearing under new regulations announced yesterday by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

"Those who choose to break our nation's immigration laws will be promptly removed from the U.S.," said Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security.

The new rules, part of Washington's sweeping effort to tighten its border controls, could mean that a legally landed immigrant in Canada could be deported to his or her home country.

"But it's quite possible that we would return that individual to Canada," said Bill Strassberger, a spokesman for Homeland Security.

"That would be determined on a case-by-case basis and would depend on whether Canada would have them back."

The new rules essentially mean that existing procedures used at airports would now apply to those caught illegally crossing the long U.S. land borders with Canada and Mexico.

Under the program, known as "expedited removal," anyone caught illegally in the United States up to 160 kilometres from the border can be deported without a hearing.

"In most cases," anyone apprehended close to the border having entered the United States within two weeks will not be provided a hearing "before an immigration judge, unless the migrant is determined to have a credible fear of return to his or her country," the department said.

"The expanded use of expedited removal is primarily directed at those illegal aliens who are not citizens of Mexico or Canada."

The measures are mainly aimed at the tens of thousands of Central Americans who cross into the United States from Mexico.

Although current law allows illegal Mexican migrants to be sent back immediately if they are caught, non-Mexicans are held in detention centres.

"Overall, the numbers apprehended along the northern border are very, very small," Mr. Strassberger said.

More than 42,000 illegal immigrants from countries other than Mexico have been apprehended along or near the Mexican-U.S. border in the past 16 months. All of them are currently entitled to a immigration court hearing, creating a backlog that stretches to more than a year.

Also yesterday, the department extended the time limit for short-term visits by Mexicans with border-crossing cards to 30 days from 72 hours. Those visits, restricted to 40 kilometres of the border, are designed for short shopping trips.

"It's designed for tourism, business and travel," Mr. Hutchinson said. "Those individuals who follow legal immigration procedures will benefit." Mexicans need to undergo background checks before being issued the short-term visas.

The measure is expected to be popular in states such as Arizona and New Mexico, where there are tightly fought races for the November election. President George W. Bush is expected to campaign today in Arizona.

"It's 27 more days in a row that people from Mexico can come here and spend money... It's 10 times more than what we have right now, so it's great," said Bill Summers, president of the Rio Grande Valley Partnership, which promotes the South Texas region.

© Copyright 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.

20040811.wxdeport0811/BNStory/National/
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

I agree also-give them the chance to work here legally. However I do not agree with giving them a drivers license-to me that is a privilege of being a citizen-how many times people getting a ticket are told by the judge!
Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

pattybug52 wrote: I agree also-give them the chance to work here legally. However I do not agree with giving them a drivers license-to me that is a privilege of being a citizen-how many times people getting a ticket are told by the judge!

I certainly agree with that. Is not the Mexican driver's license a valid license in the U.S.? Sure it is. Just as your U.S. license works in Mexico.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

But none of them even have a mexican license! I know if anyone out of state comes to live and work in Calif they have to change their out of state license to a calif one. Me and my whole family had to do that 30 some years ago when we came out from the east coast.Also have to change their car registration-and cannot register the car without insurance or a drivers license.
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

I think this is ironic. How and why does California allow *illegal immigrants to get licensed?

pattybug52 wrote: But none of them even have a mexican license! I know if anyone out of state comes to live and work in Calif they have to change their out of state license to a calif one. Me and my whole family had to do that 30 some years ago when we came out from the east coast.Also have to change their car registration-and cannot register the car without insurance or a drivers license.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

our last governor passed a bill where illegals could get a drivers license-people went ballistic over it-probably how Arnold got voted in-who-when he came in as gov reversed the decision-everyone knew the only reason it was passed was cause the gov thought the recall would not happen till after the first of the year and he could get all the hispanic votes. There was also a clause in it that even being illegal, getting the license to drive could sign them up to vote also-even tho they are illegal! People caught on real fast and booted him out! A lot of people do not like Gov Arnold but I think he is doing okay and involves the people in the decisions.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

very good post-especially about Control! Look how easy the terrorist got in, got drivers licenses, even pilot license to do the 911. Keeping eyes on both borders is very hard to do-it so big.But something needs to be done soon, it is out of control. The only way any hispanics get deported is if they commit a big crime-even then they are back here in 2 mos. My brother used to work for INS and they do not go door to door kicking illegals out-would take 1000 years to accomplish that-plus everyone they kicked out would be right back-why bother waste the time and money. I wish the ones who really do contribute and are decent people had an easier way to come live and work here. I am assuming the Green card issue must cost money that they do not have. I just get really peed off with my car insurance always going up from the illegals having accidents with no insurance or drivers license, and person hit gets the bill-you never find that illegal again. I do know many families that when one member gets in trouble with law they send them back to relatives in Mexico till things cool off.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

There are millions of Mexicans that would risk their lives to make it to America. There are millions of Mexicans and South Americans that want a chance at a life without the poverty that is their lot in life.

If they turned back over 600,000 in a year, then how many of these illegals made it into the States and the economy. If Mexico were the land of plenty then you could be assured that Americans would be heading south in droves.

When the world gives you lemons? Make lemonade. If they were coming here and doing nothing but living off the fat of the land then you should worry. Big time. But they aren't. They are working hard to try and fit in, into the scheme of things. If they are being productive, wannabe citizens then you should make it easy for them and utilize their productivity to your benefit. They just want to be workers. Why can't you be the bosses that give them the jobs that would benefit both parties.

Short of that train them and send them back to Mexico with the expertise and equipment to do it in their own country which is what NAFTA is all about.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

I think a lot of people have some problems with some other issues. Do you live in Calif? Many of us who have lived here over 30 years remember many of our friends who were hit by an uninsured, unlicensed illegal-he gets a slap on the hand yet THEIR insurance goes up another $500 a year.Having worked in law enforcement and code enforcement for some years I see so many areas where so many of them are envolved in drug traffic-back and forth between the us and mexico.The bad apples are ruining it for the ones that really want to work. However when many of my neighbors have been in the us for over 28 years and still are not legal citizens-that I have a problem with-especially when they never had a green card to begin with. I worked with many people from canada-still citizens of Canada-but are working here legally. I think the same rule should apply to everyone-why should the Canadians have to do it if the south americans don't have to. Just my opinion!
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

pattybug52 wrote: I think the same rule should apply to everyone-why should the Canadians have to do it if the south americans don't have to. Just my opinion!

The difference between the Canadian and the Mexican workers is that the Canadians do not live in the abject poverty that the Mexicans do. They have the time and wherewithal to attend to their employment in the approved manner. This takes time and money which, as I've said before, the South Americans and Mexicans do not have on their side.

The Southern immigrants have little or no education otherwise they would try to come in the front door. The only thing that they have is a willingness to work for what will help them prosper. They will work at any job, no matter how hard or laborious, to attain that goal. Generalizing the immigrants is not a good way to resolve the issue. You have to look at the backgrounds of the potential citizens.

Let's not forget that, theoretically, the illegals can be sent back if it becomes known that they are illegals by the INS.

If they have lived for so many years in the country, I am sure that if they had the opportunity to become a citizen then they would. As it is, I am given to understand, it would take an Amnesty in order to allow these people to become citizens.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

Theoretically they cannot be sent back even if it is determined they are illegal! I have a family member in the INS-they cannot be sent back unless a felony is committed, and even then has to go thru court. The INS cannot go door to door looking for illegals-they barely have the manpower to go on sweeps that have been undercover investigations for months! The airport sweeps alone take hundreds of INS people never mind the people who have to do the filing of the cases, etc.Also these same people I talked about had the chance to get amnesty and did not-why is that? What are they afraid of? Maybe one reason is that some of these families still do not speak english-I don't know for sure but if they want to become a citizen-do they not have to speak a little english? Some neighbors I have say-why should I learn english-we have interpreters any place we go-courts, PD,tel co-everywhere! And they are right on that! Do you see the German or French getting the same treatment? Sorry but I disagree with you on a lot only because I live here and see it every day.Know people in the branches of gov that go thru this day after day. I guess my comment is kind of like, "Take a walk in my shoes" and you would get an eye opener. From where you live-you have no idea what is going on-just what you read in the news-live in LA for 6 mos-you would change your mind!
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Lived in California for a while. Got family in Oxnard and Venice. The more things change the more they remain the same. You're on the frontlines and you can't see the forest for the trees.

Bilingualism is already a fact in Canada. We have French. Actually enjoy speaking two langauges. Know a smattering of Spanish that I started to learn in California.

As to living in LA so that I can understand what it is like to walk in your shoes? Do you mean the barrios and the people in there? I am asking this because the parents of the children that come from the illegals don't, it would seem, have an opportunity for educating their children? I'm asking not making a statement.

There are millions of Spanish descent people in California. If they are going to hide they are going to do so in the langauge that they understand and know that you don't understand. It is so hard to understand poverty when you don't live in it.

Not trying to get smart just re-emphasizing that that is a background that most Americans are not familiar with.

Once there are as many Germans or French people around, they will start to act the same and demand that they be spoken to in their language. It's human nature

You're right. I don't live there so I can't see what you see or feel what you feel. Education, though, seems to be a solution that would bring people together. I don't have the answers but I hope that you will find them.
pattybug52

Post by pattybug52 »

when my daughter started kindergarden my Mom was babysitting so she went to school by my moms house. We lived in what you could call the Barrio-but when the other kids in apartments had Meet the teacher thing at nite we went with our neighbors. I spoke to several teachers there-maybe considering having my daughter go there if I found a sitter. The several Teachers I talked to changed my mind. They said they spent 80% of classroom time translating to the hispanic kids, most of the english kids got left behind and even suggested I keep her where she was. The teachers even said had the parents even TRIED to speak english, they would not have such a problem-majority refuse to learn english because they do not have to-we supply it for them. I talked to one teacher and told her when I was in 7th grade I took German, when we walked into that Classroom-you spoke and thought German or you failed the course, why is it so different now? She right out told me-because of the government-any student they fail-they lose money for the next year-all politics! She said she spent 90 % classroom time just translating for the hispanics, the english speaking kids got almost no time at all.We were also told the same thing when my Mom volunteered at my daughters elementary school-kids that could not read or write were passed because the school would lose their federal funding. Exactly what is still going on today-kids miss school-the school loses money from feds and now since funds for schools were cut way back this year-is worse. And who are the most kids that cannot read and write in english(they have to do in English) yes the hispanics whose parents refuse to learn english. I helped tutor several kids at apt I was at because parents refused to learn English-they were so grateful but could never instill in them that THEY needed to learn the language too. That was almost 16 years ago, I went by the old place last year and met with the old neighbors-still status Quo-still have not learned english and don't have any reason to change. One neighbor said she can still get Welfare if she cannot speak english and still has babies in the USA. The babies are covered by Medi cal-If born in USA they are citizens. My sis in San Diego is in a high ranking position that confirms what I have been saying.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Don't for a minute disbelieve you. In this country we have English schools and French schools. That way they get what they need. We also have bilingual schools which is what it seems that you need to do more of in this day and age.

I guess it's a laziness that keeps the language happening. It's a raison d'etre for the Spaniards. They are still miffed about being turfed 150 years ago. Weird sort of pay back.

Return to “Immigration”