Don't Like This: Guide For Illegal Immigrants

Open or closed borders?
CVX

Post by CVX »

Migration pamphlet draws fire in U.S.

By IOAN GRILLLO

MEXICO CITY - The Mexican Foreign Ministry on Tuesday defended a government pamphlet that offers advice to migrants illegally crossing the border into the United States, saying it was trying to help save lives without encouraging people to break the law.

"Last year, more than 300 Mexicans died on the border," Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Geronimo Gutierrez told the Houston Chronicle. "Our government has a commitment to defend the lives of its citizens."

In 32 pages of text and comic-book-style illustrations, the paperback, Guide for the Mexican Migrant, gives pointers on navigating deserts and swimming rivers safely.

"Crossing the river can be very dangerous, particularly if you are alone or do it at night," says an English translation of wording next to an illustration of three young men setting out from a river bank. "If you wear heavy clothes, they will become heavier when wet and this will make it more difficult for you to swim."

'A wink and a nod'

George Grayson, a Mexico expert at the College of William and Mary, said the guide sends a message that the Mexican government endorses illegal immigration.

"It is a wink and a nod to illegal immigrants," Grayson said. "How would they feel if the Guatemalans published a guide on how to get into Mexico?"

Anti-immigration groups in the United States sharply criticized the Mexican government for publishing the pamphlet, saying it shows a flagrant disregard for U.S. border regulations.

"It is a thinly disguised how-to-do-it guide," said Robert Goldsborough, president of Americans for Immigration Control, a lobby group.

An editorial in Tuesday's Washington Times also slammed the pamphlet and urged Secretary of State Colin Powell to file a complaint with the Mexican ambassador.

U.S. government officials' responses to the guide were mixed.

Barry Morrissey, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said it was surprising the Mexican government had released the pamphlet, considering joint U.S.-Mexican efforts on the border to discourage dangerous illegal crossings.

"I haven't seen the booklet, but based on what I've heard I certainly wouldn't endorse its message," Morrissey said.

A Homeland Security official who asked not to be named said, "It was a shock to us to hear of this." He said government-to-government contacts were being made seeking an explanation from Mexico.

But U.S. State Department spokesman Noel Clay said he was not aware of any talks with Mexico on the pamphlet.

"We have not commented to the Mexican government on this issue," he said.

The Mexican Foreign Ministry published 1.5 million copies of the pamphlet last month and is distributing them across Mexico and in its consulates in Dallas, New York, Atlanta and other U.S. cities. It is also posted on the Internet.

On the back cover, a note stresses that "this guide does not promote the crossing of Mexicans without the legal documents required by the government of the United States."

Furthermore, in the introduction it says that "the safest way to go to another country is with a visa obtained in the embassy or consulate of the country you want to visit."

But the pamphlet does not give specific contact information or advice on applying for such a visa.

The guide also contains information about the legal rights of Mexicans arrested by U.S. police and offers advice on how to behave in the United States without arousing the attention of the authorities.

"The best formula is to not leave your routine going from work to home," one section says. "Avoid loud parties. The neighbors could get annoyed and call police. ... If you go to a bar or a nightclub and a fight starts, keep your distance."

Source of revenue

Rick Oltman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a Washington, D.C., lobby, alleged that Mexico encourages illegal immigration because of the money Mexican workers send home.

Last year, Mexicans living in the United States sent a record $15 billion to their loved ones back home, providing Mexico with its second biggest source of foreign revenue after oil.

Undersecretary Gutierrez flatly denied the allegations.

"The Mexican government in no way encourages emigration," he said. "This administration had been pushing for economic reforms to encourage growth so that Mexicans won't leave their homeland."

Rene Mejia, Mexican consul in Laredo, where the pamphlet will be distributed, said the Mexican government had always given out advice like that found in the pamphlet. The only thing new is the comic-book format, which is designed to gain a wider readership, Mejia said.

Attached files
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I don't know how Mexico did at the olympics. However this thread reminds me of a joke.

How come Mexico does so bad in the Olympics?

Because everyone who can run or jump is north of the boarder.

So anyone know how Mexico actually did in the Olympics?

On a serious note this does not surprize me as didn't Fox say that the people who crossed the boarder and sent money back to their families were heroes?
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

LottomagicZ4941 wrote: I don't know how Mexico did at the olympics. However this thread reminds me of a joke.

How come Mexico does so bad in the Olympics?

Because everyone who can run or jump is north of the boarder.

ba-da-boom! Good one. I haven't heard that one before.

And what about the old saying: "A good fence makes a good neighbor."

I'm amazed at President Fox's blatant support of this activity. Pundits say he's just acting like Castro: trying / encouraging as many people as he can to leave the country. His silver lining is that American dollars flow back into Mexico helping his economy.

The last rude bumpersticker I saw before I left California was: "F*ck you, this is Mexico."
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

It reminds me of the American that said that they hired the wetbacks for crop picking because they were built lower to the ground. They are the people that do the labour intensive jobs that a lot of Americans don't want to do anymore.

Although it is against better judgement to disseminate this material. it doesn't take away from the fact that they are willing to live a labourer's life to feed their families both here and in Mexico..

Let's not forget NAFTA.

Return to “Immigration”