Fox of Mexico to get tough with the U.S.A.

Open or closed borders?
CVX

Post by CVX »

By Barnard R. Thompson

In recent days Mexican President Vicente Fox and his Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Luis Ernesto Derbez, have sent barbed messages to the U.S.A. The main message — Mexico plans to get tough with the U.S.A. regarding the treatment of migrant workers in this country and the services they should receive.

During a speech in Leon, Guanajuato, Fox said that he would absolutely defend the matrícula consular, the Mexican identity card that is issued to qualifying nationals residing abroad, regardless of their immigration status. The president told the audience, that included U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson: “The matrícula consular (cards) are again being questioned, however we will defend them with tooth and nail because our fellow countrymen are neither criminals nor terrorists. They are people with dignity and workers who contribute a great deal to the North American economy.”

More: http://www.mexidata.info/id303.html
Clint

Post by Clint »

CVX wrote: Mexico plans to get tough with the U.S.A. regarding the treatment of migrant workers in this country and the services they should receive.
I really hate to see this become a contentious issue with our friends in Mexico. There are no doubt terrorists that are crossing the Mexican boarder just as they cross the Canadian border. If we close those two points of entry terrorists will arrive by sea in containers. If we close that method, they will resort to false ID and a number of other tricks to get here.

It seems to me that it would be far more effective if we reinforced our relationships with our neighbors and gave them reasons to join in protecting us. We have to be very careful that we don’t continue this rhetoric of distrust and arrogance regarding those closest to us.

I think that is probably one reason we don’t see the drastic action so many are demanding from the Bush administration. President Bush has a lot of experience sharing a boarder with Mexico. I think he values Mexico's friendship.

We need to develop methods that identify those who want to do us harm without offending our very good friends and neighbors.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
CVX

Post by CVX »

With the contentiousness that is going on, I would expect to see more of the following:

Americans tourists killed, mom-to-be left bound

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) -- Four gunmen abducted three U.S. citizens on a rural highway in southern Mexico, shot and killed two of them and left the third -- a pregnant woman -- bound and gagged, authorities said Saturday.

Reynaldo Valdez, a 22-year-old from Houston, was traveling with Miami natives Ashley Linn Diniger, 16, and Vanessa Burgos, 22, to visit Valdez's mother in Cutzamala de Pinzon, according to investigator Antonio Nogeda.

The three had left Cutzamala de Pinzon late Thursday when a vehicle carrying four men forced their vehicle off the road near Tierra Caliente, Nogeda said.

The gunmen put the Americans into a sedan without license plates, drove them to a nearby community and robbed them. The abductors later tried to sexually assault the two women, then shot and killed Valdez and Diniger at close range, Nogeda said.

They spared the life of Burgos, apparently because she was pregnant, but tied up her hands and feet and dumped her on the side of a road from a moving car, according to Nogeda.

Burgos was able to free herself and contacted police. Her testimony led to arrests on Friday of Isidro Diaz Pineda, Reynaldo Hernandez Ramirez, Francisco Velazquez Paredes and David Gaona Mondragon, all of Tierra Caliente, the state investigator said.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City confirmed the names and hometowns of the U.S. citizens on Saturday and said consular officials in the resort city of Acapulco were working with Burgos and the families of Valdez and Diniger.
gmc

Post by gmc »

That doesn't sound like terrorism more like "normal" criminal activity. So far as ||I amj aware america has only had two terrorist attacks, admittedly one rather extreme one is criminal activuty now being characterised as terrorism?
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

gmc wrote: That doesn't sound like terrorism more like "normal" criminal activity. So far as ||I amj aware america has only had two terrorist attacks, admittedly one rather extreme one is criminal activuty now being characterised as terrorism?

The U.S./Mexico issues don't have as much to do about terrorism as they do about Immigration Policy, illegal immigrants, and just plain ol' resentment. The terrorism card is just a convenient chip they can play now.

There is big tension between both sides now - and the public is getting involved. The organization La Raza (The Race) is actively pursuing social re-annexation of the Southern part of the United States by encouraging illegal migration into the U.S.

Personally, I think the U.S. is playing lip-service to this problem. It's an important issue - but they won't really do anything about it. Some say it's impossible to slow down "The March North". I disagree. I don't think the Republicans or the Democrats have the guts to go after the enablers: Big/Small businesses who hire illegals.

If President Fox was really concerned about "his people" - then he would encourage a policy to fine/imprison employers who flaunt this law. They are the ones who pay poverty wages and generally exploit these workers.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
gmc

Post by gmc »

What's the problem with the Canadian border? I see occasional mention of that as if it is also an issue.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

The Canadian Border issues are 180 degrees different than the Southern Border issues.

No real pressing problem with illegal immigrants. The problem is that it is an easy entrance for terrorists.

gmc wrote: What's the problem with the Canadian border? I see occasional mention of that as if it is also an issue.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The best terrorists will just walk in the front door with good documentation etc, That's what the 911 terrorists did, legal documents, they don't stand out in any way, blend in it's good intelligence you need to pick them out. The odds are you will catch plenty illegal immigrants but few if any terrorists. Their cells will already be in place, they don't need to bring stuff in there is plenty freely available to use for bombs and they won't stand put in any way.

I have indian friends that get stopped and body searched when they go to the states, you do get blue eyed arabs you know courtesy of christian slaves in the past.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

gmc wrote: The best terrorists will just walk in the front door with good documentation etc, That's what the 911 terrorists did, legal documents, they don't stand out in any way, blend in it's good intelligence you need to pick them out. The odds are you will catch plenty illegal immigrants but few if any terrorists. Their cells will already be in place, they don't need to bring stuff in there is plenty freely available to use for bombs and they won't stand put in any way.

I have indian friends that get stopped and body searched when they go to the states, you do get blue eyed arabs you know courtesy of christian slaves in the past.

Agreed. You know, there is a 3000 mile border between Canada and the U.S.

Much of it covers incredibly remote areas. It doesn't take a genius terrorist to figure out what to do. But then again - they would have to stop and get gas at some point - most likely raising suspicions in the communities of the northern states.

Let's see: A Canadian licensed car traveling down through North Dakota or Montana with suspicious looking folks inside. :o
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I'm an american citizen and even I had a incident with a bank due to not having my most current drivers licence.

I had 4 forms of ID but due to the patrit(sp?) act I was denied service.

Return to “Immigration”