Baby with Down's Syndrome

A forum for our physically challenged members.
Debsbabe

Post by Debsbabe »

Hello there I am Debbie I am 32 years old and am married to Scott 34, we have 3 children a daughter Ricarda 15 years, a son Callum 2 years 9 months and another son Cameron 11 months old.

Cameron was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome at birth, It was hard at the begining to take in what was going on and i like many other people had a preconception what DS actually was and what it meant for Cameron. He had so may tests in the first few weeks which included Chest X-ray, Echocardiogram and ECG.

We have been so lucky he hasn't as of yet had any problems which can come with DS like heart and bowel problems.

It took me a little while to realise that Cameron was just a baby like any other who happened to have DS. It isn't him just a small part of him but weird as it may sound to some i wouldn't have him any other way,

Love Debbie and Family xxxx
pina

Post by pina »

It's great that you feel that way about the baby, because that is what he is, a baby, your baby. I know a few people with DS children and I know a few DS adults, they are such loving and happy people.:-4

Oh! and welcome to FG, hope to see a lot of posts from you.

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Hi Debbie, and welcome to FG.

Your story sure tugged at my heart strings, and I know it will affect others, too. We have a few parents here with kids who have a few different disabilities.

I don't think it sounds weird at all that you wouldn't have him any other way. It's your baby, you love him how he arrived! Makes perfect sense to me.

I hope you stay a while here, there's lots of great people, and I look forward to your input. :yh_peace
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

abbey

Post by abbey »

Hiya Debbie and Welcome to the Garden,it sounds like you have a lovely family. :-4

And no it does'nt seem weird, you're a mother!

It's nice to have a good strong person aboard. x
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

abbey wrote: It's nice to have a good strong person aboard. x
Yeah, because we're overwhelmed with weenies, pansies, the spineless and milquetoasts...:yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

pina

Post by pina »

BabyRider wrote: Yeah, because we're overwhelmed with weenies, pansies, the spineless and milquetoasts...:yh_rotfl

I know what weenies, pansies and spineless are but what on earth are milquetoasts??????????

minks

Post by minks »

Debsbabe wrote: Hello there I am Debbie I am 32 years old and am married to Scott 34, we have 3 children a daughter Ricarda 15 years, a son Callum 2 years 9 months and another son Cameron 11 months old.

Cameron was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome at birth, It was hard at the begining to take in what was going on and i like many other people had a preconception what DS actually was and what it meant for Cameron. He had so may tests in the first few weeks which included Chest X-ray, Echocardiogram and ECG.

We have been so lucky he hasn't as of yet had any problems which can come with DS like heart and bowel problems.

It took me a little while to realise that Cameron was just a baby like any other who happened to have DS. It isn't him just a small part of him but weird as it may sound to some i wouldn't have him any other way,

Love Debbie and Family xxxx

Greetings Deb, I hope you enjoy your stay here and feel free to unload anytime you want. I like your positive thinking your son is your baby and you his mother and that is the bottom line. Like BR said some of us parents here are challenged by various child development issues and we continue to be the best parents we can be.

Enjoy your stay in the garden.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

pina wrote: I know what weenies, pansies and spineless are but what on earth are milquetoasts??????????
Just another synonym for a whimp. :wah:
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Debsbabe

Post by Debsbabe »

Thanks guys for the welcome i really look forward to getting to know you all better.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camantlou/

I hope that worked if it did it is Cameron's webpage in case anyone wants a peek!

Love Debbie and Family
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hi Debbie

Welcome to the Garden!:-6
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

What a beautiful baby boy!! MY son has some disabilities that hinder his learning but he is ALL MINE! You put it so well when you introduced yourself to us! Welcome aboard the Garden!! You will love it here!

When I taught in the Special Needs Classrooms..I fell in love with a little 10 year girl who has Downs..She grabbed my heart from the start- not becuase she was special, as all children are...but becuase she was soooo naughty!! :) She mad us laugh everyday..She had trouble walking so every step down our long hallways without her walker - were days we celebrated!! She and I still keep in contact and she is now 19 years old! She has 2 jobs and lives on her own..with hopes of getting married to a man with DS also, they have been "dating since their senior year" ...She is so in love and so happy with her life..If you ask her what is the worst thing about her DS - she would say..sometimes the "hotties" don't look at me..LOL She is such a card!! Enjoy that son of yours! What a doll....:) Much love to you and yours!!!!!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
pina

Post by pina »

Love the site you have, I enjoyed looking through and reading it. :)

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Welcome!

I can't speak as a parent of a DS baby, but I am a cousin and uncle, and have worked as a cottage parent of DS kids. They are blessings that far outweigh any problems, as I see it. They are your permanent clowns, alway smiling, happy, loving. Sure they don't have much hope of becoming president or an NFL champ, but your kid will fill your heart with such joy you will fear it may burst from it.

You've got lots of work ahead of you. Lots of work and even more reward. Enjoy the ride. :-6
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Debbie,

First off welcome to forgumgarden..!!:D

Cameron is beautiful and full of life your so blessed.:-4

I have a little experience with DS children I babysat a DS baby for 7 years I was the only one he would allow to take care of him (other than his parents). Let me tell you sweetie they are special children in so many wonderrful ways. He was the happiest of babies every minute he was taken in by new things. As a 12 year old watching him I never once felt fear of not know what to do for him, he loved me so I couldn't wait to watch him. I had to stop when I went to college but continued to see him often after that. He was a joy to be around.

I will say one thing watch out Cameron will are EXTREMELY STRONG and unaware of this strength...His playful strength could hurt others. But a huge hug from Cameron will make your heart feel his love.

Enjoy Cameron every minute of the day.. let him run along the sideline of your other sons soccer game(soccer is my game);) He will be the joy of your life.:-4
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Debsbabe

Post by Debsbabe »

thanks everyone you have all made me feel really welcome, here. It is really nice to talk to people who understand a little of what it is like to either be physically handicapped or have a special child!

Cameron is my little angel and i do believe that i am blessed to have been chosen to be his mother. he is a gift from god.

love debbie xxxxx:-4
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Debsbabe wrote: Cameron is my little angel and i do believe that i am blessed to have been chosen to be his mother. he is a gift from god.

Pictures! Where are the pictures?!?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Accountable wrote: Pictures! Where are the pictures?!?
found'em! I'm an idiot!:thinking:
Debsbabe

Post by Debsbabe »

Accountable wrote: found'em! I'm an idiot!:thinking:

glad you found them honey!

Love Debbie xxx
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Debsbabe wrote: thanks everyone you have all made me feel really welcome, here. It is really nice to talk to people who understand a little of what it is like to either be physically handicapped or have a special child!

Cameron is my little angel and i do believe that i am blessed to have been chosen to be his mother. he is a gift from god.

Debbie, I am so touched by your positive attitude reguarding your little Cameron! My little girl, age 3, has Juvenile Diabetes and we have to stick her little fingers every 2-3 hrs all day/night long to test her blood and she gets 3 shots a day of insulin to stay alive. It is a very difficult regime and yet like you I have never regretted having her and I often tell people just how lucky I am to have her JUST the way she is. Below is a story another mom shared w/ me shortly after my daughter was diagnosed. This was written by a mother of a child w/ Downs Syndrome, I think you'll like.....

"WELCOME TO HOLLAND"

By Emily Perl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experiences of raising a child with a disability-to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this.......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip--to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says "Welcome to Holland".

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland??" I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for awhile and you catch your breath, you look around....and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills......and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy.......and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life you will say..."Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, go away....because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.

But....if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things......about Holland!
Nature laughs Last
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Now that is a great analogy. Thanks Robinsegg, and thank your friend.
Debsbabe

Post by Debsbabe »

That is a superb poem honey

our little ones would never dissappoint us for being a little special in fact i think we were chosen to raise these beauitful special children.

Rosenegg a friend of mine has had diabetes since a baby so i know a little about what you have to do it always seemed my friend must have had great courage as she got older to stick herself with needles but at the time i was too young to realise that if she didn't she could go in a coma. all babies children and adults who have to deal with these disabilitys will alway hold my upmost respect especially my little Cameron who is going to be 1 whole year old on Friday !!!!:-4

I love you all on here you are just great

Love Debbie and Cameron xxxx
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

I completely agree with you Deb, as I know I was chosen for my baby girl Mandy Mae! I have been enlightened and my eyes have been opened. The world is a different place now.
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Physically Challenged”