Wheelchair Bound

A forum for our physically challenged members.
Philadelphia Eagle

Wheelchair Bound

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

I guess I qualify for this forum as nowdays I am confined to a wheelchair having been diagnosed with MS a few years ago.

Feel sorry for myself? - Not in the least!

Look at the advantages I have which non-wheelchair people miss out on.

1. I'm never short of a seat in a crowded room. I bring my own!

2. If I'm out at the mall people are so friendly and always stop to say 'Hi'!

3. When I go for a 'walk' I never get tired (my 'buggy' is battery operated!)

4. Lots of people - especially beautiful ladies - stop and ask me if they can do anything to help!

The people I really feel sorry for are those unfortunate individuals who have never known the joys of life in a wheelchair!
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
hotsauce

Wheelchair Bound

Post by hotsauce »

Amazing! I can tell by your posts that you take everything in and truly enjoy your life. You are one of those rare, inspirational people. ;)
lady cop

Wheelchair Bound

Post by lady cop »

i think you and Der Wulf (who, as you know, is also wheelchair-bound) are amazing wonderful men with a delightful sense of humor and a true appreciation of life! my privilege to "know" you!
Philadelphia Eagle

Wheelchair Bound

Thanks for your kind words - Hotsauce.

I know you would be one of those kind people who stop by to say 'Hi'

It does make a great difference!

Philadelphia Eagle

Wheelchair Bound

Wow! -LC

devist8me

Wheelchair Bound

Post by devist8me »

And, your the best to go shopping with because you always get the best parking spots! (Snort, my attempt at humor).
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
mominiowa

Wheelchair Bound

Post by mominiowa »

P. Eagle - My sister had MS and just got her new - power..PURPLE wheelchair..:) My kids think she is so cool..LOL :D - She has a service dog too, his name is Apollo..Have you ever had to use a service dog..This creature is AMAZING..PIcks up keys, opens doors, gets the phone for her, can hit her Life LIne when directed..What a big help for her. She lives in Colorado- and will have to move home so we can help her a little bit..but we are so afraid of the humidity..Can you tell me anything about it? and how it will affect her?.......Thanks ahead if u can! :-6

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
mominiowa

Wheelchair Bound

Post by mominiowa »

By the Way!!!!!!

The positive attitude is GREAT...You sound like an incredible person :)

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
gmc

Wheelchair Bound

Post by gmc »

Pleased to know, if from a distance. So do you have races up and down the mall? (we call them shopping centres rather than malls) We had a problem locally with two old boys doing just that, one of them lost control on a corner and took out a table at a macdonald's outlet. The centre management have threatened to ban them if they don't behave.
john8pies

Wheelchair Bound

Post by john8pies »

Your attitude is truly awesome, Eagle! Best wishes, and keep up your positive outlook!
Agnes

Wheelchair Bound

Post by Agnes »

you will be fine here on the forum, plenty to talk about & yes Der-Wulf is Chair bound also. So many nowadays have MS. Have a good time and keep posting, your input in interesting. :-6
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
Philadelphia Eagle

Wheelchair Bound

Mominiowa - sorry to hear that your sister suffers from MS. I wonder if it's the more common 'relapsing-remitting' type or the 'progressive' (which I have).

If she's moving east from CO she will almost certainly encounter an increased level in humidity and here in PA it can get quite bad in summer.

From my experience a combination of heat and humidity results in a loss of body strength. If humidity levels reach 70% or more and are combined with temperatures in the high 80s or 90s I have to retreat into the airconditioning!

Efficient air-con will be a 'must' for her and quickly restores vitality.

Referring to your signature - I have both!

GMC - Wow! - those old boys having races up and down the mall! We're much better behaved here - well nearly all the time.

One on famous occasion I was returning from a neighbor's house around 15 minutes away in the evening having sat on his front porch chatting and gently consuming the occasional glass of whiskey Unfortunately there must have been something wrong with the steering of my wheelchair (absolutely nothing to do with the consumption of alcohol of course!) and I cut a corner too finely and rode over the local Police Chief's beautiful display of flowers by the sidewalk. Next day as I rode past his house he was out front gazing at the trail of devistation and he and I

discussed various possibilities as to who would have done such a thing!

I'm not sure if I was a suspect or not!

capt_buzzard

Wheelchair Bound

Post by capt_buzzard »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: I guess I qualify for this forum as nowdays I am confined to a wheelchair having been diagnosed with MS a few years ago.

4. Lots of people - especially beautiful ladies - stop and ask me if they can do anything to help!

The people I really feel sorry for are those unfortunate individuals who have never known the joys of life in a wheelchair!Beautiful ladies eh?
capt_buzzard

Wheelchair Bound

Post by capt_buzzard »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: I guess I qualify for this forum as nowdays I am confined to a wheelchair having been diagnosed with MS a few years ago.

The people I really feel sorry for are those unfortunate individuals who have never known the joys of life in a wheelchair!I have a mild form of Dystonia. Many other guys with dystonia that I know of are confined to a wheelchair. We have lovely Irish ladies here too.:D
koan

Wheelchair Bound

Post by koan »

When I was younger (gosh, about a hundred years ago :rolleyes: ) I used to think I would be devistated to lose my mobility. I have been unable to walk for only a month at a time from what appears to be chronic back problems and was amazed at how people learn to cope with afflictions. The pain part is harder to cope with than loss of mobility but I think all can be overcome. With a young daughter it was important to keep a good attitude but hard sometimes. Especially when she was whining.

I am thankful that my injury only acts up every couple of years and admire people like you that learn to live with it on a daily basis. Everyone has limitations but they are not always obvious. It's a time when you find out who your friends really are.
Philadelphia Eagle

Wheelchair Bound

Capt. B. - Lovely Irish ladies eh!

I'm having the wheelchair fitted with wings as we speak!

Koan - thank-you for your kind words. I've tried to put a little back into the system and was asked by my MS Therapy Center if I would do some councelling which I was glad to undertake. I'm by no means a professional councellor but the Board wanted someone who suffered from MS in addition to their full-time people.

It was a most rewarding experience and I hope I was able to help some of our Members - especially the newly-diagnosed ones to come to terms with their illness and have a positive attitude to it. This is one of the most important things they can do but with some it's not easy - especially the younger ladies, some of whom were quite distraught at learning they had MS.

I hope your back problems get better. I understand that it is very painful and it must be difficult for you with a younger person to look after. More power to you!

Return to “Physically Challenged”