Don't worry, you're not in love...just going slightly bonkers

A forum for our physically challenged members.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Falling in love used to be fun. Now doctors are warning that the throes of passion should be seen as a potentially fatal medical disorder.

Psychologists say that ''lovesickness'' is a genuine disease that needs more awareness and diagnosis.

And those little habits which are normally seen as symptoms of the first flush of love, buying presents, waiting by the phone for a call or making a bit of an effort before a date, may actually be a sign of deep-rooted problems to come.

Dr Frank Tallis of Psychologist magazine, said modern research suggested that the effects of being lovesick could be described in the latest diagnostic terms. Symptoms can include mania, such as an elevated mood and inflated self-esteem, or depression.

Aspects of obsessive compulsive disorder can also be found in those experencing lovesickness, such as preoccupation and obsessively checking for text messages and emails.

The average clinical psychologist will not receive referral letters from GP's and psychiatrists mentioning lovesickness, Dr Tallis said, However, careful examination of the sanitised language will reveal that lovesickness may well be the underlying problem.

"Many people are referred for help who cannot cope with the intensity of love, have been desabilised by falling in love, or their love being unrequited."

"Although there is much modern research into the treatment of relationship and psychosexual problems, there is little dealing with the specific problem of lovesickness".

"Perhaps now is the time for us to take it more seriously and take a lead from those ancient clinicians who diagnosed and treated it like any other complaint:-4

Give me Love in the old fashioned way.....................
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

I wonder what these guys think falling in love should be like? We're not supposed to be silly as we wait to see if the other person returns our affection? We're not supposed to buy gifts for each other? We're not supposed to find that very common things are really quite remarkable as we allow every nerve ending to feel alive and happy?

I'm not mad, though my post may sound that way. I just wonder what their suggestion is. Be sensible about it all? Like a business deal?

I'm nursing a broken heart, and the thought of risking again is singularly unappealing. But even now, I wouldn't want my next encounter with love to be anything less than heightened emotions and silliness.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

When is a person lovesick? Is it when in love with the wrong person or when your emotions are beyound your control in a love affair? Or does mean missing someone too much or being jilted and feeling sorry for oneself? Please help before I become a patient of this subtle disease!
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

So what's the cure? Valium? Prozac? a "falling in love with dignity" seminar? Gotta ask; without the emotion, what's the point? Sheesh! :-2
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Der Wulf wrote: So what's the cure? Valium? Prozac? a "falling in love with dignity" seminar? Gotta ask; without the emotion, what's the point? Sheesh! :-2
Yeah! :yh_angry

Since there seems to be a label for EVERYTHING and a pill to cure it, what, I wonder, would we call it?? Suggestions?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

BabyRider wrote: Yeah! :yh_angry

Since there seems to be a label for EVERYTHING and a pill to cure it, what, I wonder, would we call it?? Suggestions?
Maybe a "convience", an "accomondation" without emotion, it can't be lust. Given that the brain is the most important sex organ, and according to these clowns, it's stimulation is bad, perhaps pointless would be most appropriate.:yh_sad :yh_frustr
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D

Return to “Physically Challenged”