Your disabled, get a job !!!

A forum for our physically challenged members.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by buttercup »

My brother has a spinal injury, 25% use of his legs & some incontinence problems. This week he has to attend 4 interviews :eek:

Why's he getting picked on when he has a genuine disability & your everyday layabout gets off with it :mad:
pinkchick
Posts: 7509
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by pinkchick »

buttercup;631559 wrote: My brother has a spinal injury, 25% use of his legs & some incontinence problems. This week he has to attend 4 interviews :eek:

Why's he getting picked on when he has a genuine disability & your everyday layabout gets off with it :mad:



I sympathise with your brother on this one! This is a subject that angers me so much because there are so many of us out there that have genuine disabilities and yet some how there are those that have nothing wrong and yet - they get everything going!:-5 :-5
Very nearly perfect ... :D
User avatar
Marie5656
Posts: 6772
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:10 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by Marie5656 »

That is too bad. In this country we have something calleed Suplimental Security Income (SSI). These are benefits for life for a person who is disabled and unable to work because of thier disability.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by buttercup »

We have disability benefits here Marie, they come in 3 different rates depending on level of disability, apparently having the disability he has is seen as 'able to work' now whereas it was not before.

This amazes me when so many layabouts with nothing wrong with them have never had a job in their life. Up until his accident my brother worked full time. Im really annoyed about this today :mad:
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;631559 wrote: My brother has a spinal injury, 25% use of his legs & some incontinence problems. This week he has to attend 4 interviews :eek:

Why's he getting picked on when he has a genuine disability & your everyday layabout gets off with it mad:



Layabouts are just that because they can get more in benefits than some people get paid. If these were reduced, people would be more inclined to work. However, re. your brother, it does seem unfortunate.... perhaps some good will come of this change, you never know!
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by buttercup »

The incontinence is the problem here Bill, if they could find him work to do from home he would happily take it. Can you imagine how awful it would be to be incontinent in front of others :(
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;631647 wrote: Can you imagine how awful it would be to be incontinent in front of others (



Yes. Is there nothing available from the NHS (or other organisations) in terms of equipment to manage this?
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by buttercup »

He has a cathetar for urine but would have to have surgery for a bowel bag, the risks are high, we know a few who were in rehabilitation at the same time as him who got septacemia doing this, he's been through enough.

Excuse my awful spelling.
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by SuzyB »

I really feel for him, I went back to work as many of you know, I worked 5 days a week 4 hours a day, I was £32 pound a week better off, £6.40 a day!!!

It took me 5 years to find a company willing to take me on with my problems, although it can't be proven that I was discriminated on my disability, I can assure you I was.

As I said last week, they let me go along with three other people in the office, I now have to prove that I am not fit for work, although I get disability???WT???

So now if I can't find a job, I have to prove every month that I'm not fit to work via Dr's certificate, even the Dr has said it is silly. :-5 :-5



I wish I could offer some ray of light for your brother Buttercup, but the truth is the system stinks :(
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by gmc »

posted by buttercup

My brother has a spinal injury, 25% use of his legs & some incontinence problems. This week he has to attend 4 interviews

Why's he getting picked on when he has a genuine disability & your everyday layabout gets off with it



The thing is they are being told to target layabouts who are claiming disability benefits without good reason. The problem is if you start put with the assumption that anyone claiming benefits is automatically a scrounger and they have to prove otherwise then anyone on benefits gets tarred with the same brush.

If it was anyone but someone you know would you not think it about time that a scrounger on benefits was taken to task-your everyday layabout faking a spinal injury? You can't have it both ways, call it unfair of they check on your brother and advocate them going after all the scroungers.

There are undoubtedly some who abuse the system but pillorying all claimants as scroungers is not the way to deal with them IMO. If a Doctor says you are unfit then only a more qualified medical practitioner should be able to challenge it, not a civil servant. Unless they are suggesting all doctors are liars.
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by SuzyB »

gmc;631681 wrote: posted by buttercup



The thing is they are being told to target layabouts who are claiming disability benefits without good reason. The problem is if you start put with the assumption that anyone claiming benefits is automatically a scrounger and they have to prove otherwise then anyone on benefits gets tarred with the same brush.

If it was anyone but someone you know would you not think it about time that a scrounger on benefits was taken to task-your everyday layabout faking a spinal injury? You can't have it both ways, call it unfair of they check on your brother and advocate them going after all the scroungers.

There are undoubtedly some who abuse the system but pillorying all claimants as scroungers is not the way to deal with them IMO. If a Doctor says you are unfit then only a more qualified medical practitioner should be able to challenge it, not a civil servant. Unless they are suggesting all doctors are liars.



That is such a great point, when I first started getting problems with my back, I had an orthapedic surgeon and MRI's showing the problem yet a 'person' in the office was arguing with the Dr's report. I had to appeal, where I had to sit in front of a panel which consisted of a clerk and 2 Dr's, I was in there for 5 minutes, where they awarded me a lot more than what i'd put in for.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by buttercup »

Thanks for that Suzy, i will tell him to appeal. What irritates me most is why call up people who's medical records state they are in a wheelchair or in your own case having had so many surgeries are selected before the able bodied popping in to sign on every week. :mad:
SlipStream
Posts: 17508
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by SlipStream »

coulden't work if I wanted too.. used to and think work keeps the mind together.
randmlaws
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by randmlaws »

buttercup, i have a bowel bag and i came through the surgery and everything just fine. in my case it was cancer.

i to had a rough time getting any help. i was working but i still got medicad for one month and that was hte month that i found out i had cancer and could not work anymore. They thought that my husband made to much money (he made 150.00 a week). so they were going to take my medical card and without it i would not have been able to take chemo.

i appealed the decision and everything worked out but i was still turned down for ssi and social security. i got a lawyer pro bono and won it with in two months

please tell ur brother not to give up and i will keep him in my prayers



GOD BLESS THIS FAMILY
oldebulldawg
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by oldebulldawg »

Marie5656;631614 wrote: That is too bad. In this country we have something calleed Suplimental Security Income (SSI). These are benefits for life for a person who is disabled and unable to work because of thier disability.



FYI--SSI is for people who have an extremely low income level and are unable to work. I think what you are referring to is SSD. (Social Security Disability). That is the program I am on--the average wait to get to see a judge who then determines if you are in fact disabled is 2-3 years.

I had to wait 2 1/2 years after being routinely denied twice without any judge ever seeing me. Because of the wait I was unable to get the major back surgery I needed for three years. When I finally was able to get the surgery in 2007 it was too late--the nerve damage was permanent at that point. Fortunately, I was a relatively high earner most of my life (40 years) so my SSD payments are enough to live on. Barely. My wife works at a relatively low paying job, and we have and continue to care for my 85 year old mother in law--have been for 15 years since her husband passed.

I unfortunately cannot stand more than a minute or two, am on maximum dosage of Fentanyl, as well as Norco 6 times daily--that does not count the Soma for severe muscle cramping, and several other drugs to help calm my neurological problems. It bothers me that people think people like myself who have worked all our lives, are now unable to work, are somehow taking advantage of "the system". It is not until a life changing accident as mine was, (hit by a drunk while at a red light) that people who are then affected begin to appreciate the difficulties the affected person goes through.

Then all of a sudden "they get religion". Oh well, one must carry on and do the best they can with what they have and realize there are those in this world much worse off than some of us. :rolleyes:
User avatar
shelbell
Posts: 6247
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by shelbell »

oldebulldawg;907475 wrote: FYI--SSI is for people who have an extremely low income level and are unable to work. I think what you are referring to is SSD. (Social Security Disability). That is the program I am on--the average wait to get to see a judge who then determines if you are in fact disabled is 2-3 years.

I had to wait 2 1/2 years after being routinely denied twice without any judge ever seeing me. Because of the wait I was unable to get the major back surgery I needed for three years. When I finally was able to get the surgery in 2007 it was too late--the nerve damage was permanent at that point. Fortunately, I was a relatively high earner most of my life (40 years) so my SSD payments are enough to live on. Barely. My wife works at a relatively low paying job, and we have and continue to care for my 85 year old mother in law--have been for 15 years since her husband passed.

I unfortunately cannot stand more than a minute or two, am on maximum dosage of Fentanyl, as well as Norco 6 times daily--that does not count the Soma for severe muscle cramping, and several other drugs to help calm my neurological problems. It bothers me that people think people like myself who have worked all our lives, are now unable to work, are somehow taking advantage of "the system". It is not until a life changing accident as mine was, (hit by a drunk while at a red light) that people who are then affected begin to appreciate the difficulties the affected person goes through.

Then all of a sudden "they get religion". Oh well, one must carry on and do the best they can with what they have and realize there are those in this world much worse off than some of us. :rolleyes:



Wow, I must be one of the lucky ones. I got SSD 3 months after I applied. I also can't stand for long, my problem is arthritis in the facet joints in my back, and arthritis in my neck. I've had 3 major surgeries in as many years. I've had 2 fusions...one in the back and one in the neck. The other was for a kneecap that kept dislocating...they had to move my tibia over and bolt it in. The knee and neck surgeries helped a lot, but my back is shot. Pain meds do not work on me, so I'm in constant pain. I also suffer from major depression, bipolar, and insomnia...and a few more problems, but you'd get bored. I take around 17(different) meds everyday. I'm only 44 so when I park in the handicapped spaces I sometimes get dirty looks. I'm just waiting for someone to say something to me because I'll show them my scars and then they will watch their mouth the next time. Just because people don't "see" the disability they think you're faking it. It's really sad. :-5
pantsonfire321@aol.com
Posts: 2920
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:26 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

shelbell;930956 wrote: Wow, I must be one of the lucky ones. I got SSD 3 months after I applied. I also can't stand for long, my problem is arthritis in the facet joints in my back, and arthritis in my neck. I've had 3 major surgeries in as many years. I've had 2 fusions...one in the back and one in the neck. The other was for a kneecap that kept dislocating...they had to move my tibia over and bolt it in. The knee and neck surgeries helped a lot, but my back is shot. Pain meds do not work on me, so I'm in constant pain. I also suffer from major depression, bipolar, and insomnia...and a few more problems, but you'd get bored. I take around 17(different) meds everyday. I'm only 44 so when I park in the handicapped spaces I sometimes get dirty looks. I'm just waiting for someone to say something to me because I'll show them my scars and then they will watch their mouth the next time. Just because people don't "see" the disability they think you're faking it. It's really sad. :-5




I'm sorry that people can be so dam awful.:-6

Keep your chin up and stand proud, your business is no body elses business.

Good luck, i hope things get better for you soon.
:-6
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D







Smile people :yh_bigsmi







yep, this bitch bites back .;)
User avatar
shelbell
Posts: 6247
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 am

Your disabled, get a job !!!

Post by shelbell »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;930972 wrote:



I'm sorry that people can be so dam awful.:-6

Keep your chin up and stand proud, your business is no body elses business.

Good luck, i hope things get better for you soon.
:-6



Thanks pants. I usually don't pay much attention to others, but my 16yr old does when she's with me. It's hard enough to get out of the vehicle, and most of them do not see me leaning on the shopping cart just so I can walk thru the store. You are so right when you say that it's nobody elses business...and what I really can't stand are the people that think handicapped spaces are cart returns...especially when the actual cart return can be as little as 2 spaces away. Now I'm just ranting! Thanks again Pants!:-6

Return to “Physically Challenged”