Does Trump's NAFTA Correct the Damage Clinton Did to Workers?

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Robert Sheer of Sheer Intelligence interviews Lori Wallach on the changes made by the Trump NAFTA negotiations. I found it informative.

"Championed by Ronald Reagan and ultimately enacted by Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, the pact has hollowed out the manufacturing industry, leaving millions of Americans destitute and resentful. Enter Trump, who campaigned across the Upper Midwest on the message that NAFTA was “the worst trade deal in the history of the country” and that our partners were taking advantage of us. As director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade and a 25-year veteran of congressional trade battles, Lori Wallach reveals in the latest episode of “Scheer Intelligence” that he got it half-right, hyperbole notwithstanding."

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/did-t ... nafta-2-0/
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

At least he is trying to do something about it. No one else (Bush-2,Obama) even made an effort to improve upon the original bad agreement.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520990 wrote: At least he is trying to do something about it. No one else (Bush-2,Obama) even made an effort to improve upon the original bad agreement.I agree.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

The only thing that worries me is many people who have worked with Trump have noted he's actually a really bad negotiator. There's a 50/50 chance he will create something that is worse. Like how his tarriffs are hurting farmers now. His incredible health care plan was just a watered down version Obama Care. With North Korea we offered concessions (stopping miltary exercises) and got nothing in return.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It appears Jared Kushner has been doing all the negotiations.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, NAFTA is responsible for all of the manufacturing jobs wandering off to China, Vietnam, and parts East?

Interesting.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Ahso!;1521009 wrote: It appears Jared Kushner has been doing all the negotiations.

That's somewhat encouraging... He's probably the smartest of the whole Trump family. :-)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

yaaarrrgg;1521003 wrote: The only thing that worries me is many people who have worked with Trump have noted he's actually a really bad negotiator. There's a 50/50 chance he will create something that is worse. Like how his tarriffs are hurting farmers now. His incredible health care plan was just a watered down version Obama Care. With North Korea we offered concessions (stopping miltary exercises) and got nothing in return.

We got some prisoners back and saved money by not having the exercises. I am sure those three prisoners are happy to be back.

Is it not better to negotiate and try to bring them into denuclearization or sit back and hope they come to there senses?
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

YZGI;1521013 wrote: We got some prisoners back and saved money by not having the exercises. I am sure those three prisoners are happy to be back.

Is it not better to negotiate and try to bring them into denuclearization or sit back and hope they come to there senses?

It's good to negotiate. IMO talking is always better than not talking.

Though Trump refused to prepare and decided to wing it. Ultimately NK just agreed to vague terms already contained in their agreements from the 90s.

The problem for Trump is he apparently didn't know that NK doesn't honor the agreements. He thought he solved the problem.

Kim on the other hand got the attention he wanted on the world stage. He wanted to look like a real grown up leader, not a crazy tyrant (which he is).

Between Kim and Trump, I'm not sure who is more sane. Around the time of the meeting Trump was joking about the fact Kim had just executed some of his administration.

As for NAFTA, I'm sure anything can be improved. But it needs to be done by someone who can concentrate on something and understand details.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

My impression - right or wrong - of the new NAFTA deal is that it is really the old one but with the commitment that the USA will not use defence as an excuse in future. ie a lot of noise and disruption and loss of jobs but no change except one on steel which allows Trump to puff his deal making and that's enough for his worshippers. Just a few headlines. And of course Trump works on the basis that his word means nothing but others sometimes think it does.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Societal Issues News”