Slave states vs Bible Belt

Ted

Post by Ted »

Now the "Word of God " is used to justify all kinds of military ignorance. Some god.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Hey guys :-) This forum has a lot of interesting threads. I enjoyed rereading these.

When I look at the overall theme of the Bible, I'd sum it up with the notion of "might makes right."

In the Biblical view, humans are depicted as nothing more than slaves to God. It creates the idea that everyone is a slave of sorts. Some just have more power over others (presumably because of God's favor).

But God is "the good guy" in the overall story, only because he wins in the end. That's all the matters: his power, and ability to torture people alive without repercussions.

In the Genesis stories, the mischief that Satan causes barely scratches the level of evil that is committed by God's character. For example, Satan caused Eve to eat a piece of fruit, which gave her knowledge. You might think that knowledge is a good thing. However God, in response, cursed all of humanity and intentionally caused suffering to all people and animals. Who's the good guy here? The guy with all the power.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Not much has changed among the Bible believers and those who pay little attention to the Bible. Those who backed up slavery called themselves "Christians" That is a joke.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1520761 wrote: Hey guys :-) This forum has a lot of interesting threads. I enjoyed rereading these.Hey, yaaarrrgg, nice to see you. It's been a long time. I hope all is well.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ted

Post by Ted »

It seems to me that the fundamentalists always rail against the truth. Literalism does noit fit with the truth.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Ahso!;1520797 wrote: Hey, yaaarrrgg, nice to see you. It's been a long time. I hope all is well.

Hey, hope you are doing good as well :-)

I've just been offline mostly. I've switched jobs a few years ago, and have been twice as busy ever since, unfortunately.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

yaaarrrgg;1520849 wrote: Hey, hope you are doing good as well :-)

I've just been offline mostly. I've switched jobs a few years ago, and have been twice as busy ever since, unfortunately.

It's great to see you whenever you can drop by :-)
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Bryn Mawr;1520937 wrote: It's great to see you whenever you can drop by :-)

Thanks! It's nice hearing from you as well :-)

Return to “Societal Issues News”