$75 million in drugs stolen from Connecticut warehouse

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The East Coast distribution center for Eli Lilly stored Prozac, Cymbalta and Zyprexa. Thieves scaled the warehouse's walls and loaded dozens of pallets onto a truck, police say.

Reporting from Enfield, Conn.

In what officials described Tuesday as a "sophisticated, well-planned" heist, thieves scaled the walls of an Eli Lilly warehouse, cut a hole in the roof, slid down ropes and loaded dozens of pallets holding $75 million worth of prescription drugs onto at least one truck.

The thieves also disabled the alarm system at the 70,000-square-foot warehouse, one of three distribution centers in the nation for the international pharmaceutical firm. The robbery took place sometime early Sunday but was not discovered until later in the day, when an employee showed up for work, authorities said.

"It certainly has the appearance of a sophisticated, well-planned criminal action," said Edward Sagebiel, a spokesman for Eli Lilly & Co. "We are conducting a full investigation and working with authorities . . . with the intention of recovering the products."

Enfield Police Chief Carl Sferrazza described the heist as "extremely substantial" and said enough drugs were taken to fill at least one tractor trailer. "I can tell you it was many, many pallets," he said. "They might have spent at least a couple of hours unloading all these drugs."

Sferrazza expected the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration to join the investigation. "This will turn out to be, unfortunately, the largest theft that our town has ever experienced," he said.

Sagebiel said drugs including Prozac, Cymbalta and Zyprexa were stored at the facility, but he said he could not say which drugs were taken.

No arrests have been made. $75 million in drugs stolen from Connecticut warehouse - latimes.com

"This will turn out to be, unfortunately, the largest theft that our town has ever experienced," he said....:yh_silly

If this wasn't done by very "intelligent professionals" then these people will be caught as soon as they can sell a pill.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

$75 million seems like one of the largest heists in history or am I wrong?

I suppose I'll give it a search...
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1298206 wrote: $75 million seems like one of the largest heists in history or am I wrong?

I suppose I'll give it a search... In 1978 the Lufthansa heist was the largest haul the US had seen at $5 Million cash and approx $1 Million In Jewels from JFK Airport. By today's rate of Inflation I believe that It would still stand as the largest haul.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

What's the betting they'll be sold over the internet!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

G#Gill;1298287 wrote: What's the betting they'll be sold over the internet!

Wow selling those drugs over the internet would be the worst thing they could do.

Trust me if these people aren't "very intelligent professionals" then they will more than likely be killed before they're caught by the authorities.

Return to “Societal Issues News”