Paintballing reaches a new level

spot

Post by spot »

These paintballing people take life more seriously than I'd imagined...

Tippman's weapon creates a powerful fuel/air explosive mixture within its combustion chamber. The deadly vapour is then touched off by an igniter when the trigger is pulled, generating a fearsomely powerful blast theoretically capable of firing a paintball through a mature pig. This is the same principle used to power the "Argus" pulse engines which propelled the V-1 "Doodlebug" cruise missiles launched by the Nazis against London in the closing stages of WWII.

Nazi-doodlebug-powered father of all paintball guns patented ? The Register

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Tippman's patent application suggests that he will regulate his "projectile launcher" so as to keep it in the realms of sub-lethal paintball force, instead exploiting the greater puissance of his technology to offer a much larger number of shots before reloading than compressed gas guns can. Nazi-doodlebug-powered father of all paintball guns patented ? The Register I can't imagine the gov would give exception to this gun relative to "sub-lethal paintball force" restricting other similar patents from achieving the same end result. The level of force is no doubt limited and Mr. Tippman will equally be subjected to abide by the law.

I'd have to imagine there will be plenty of law suits but that's the norm. I think what needs to be assessed is the potential for this weapon to be altered independently to the point one might feel the need to blow the guts clean out of a pig with as minimal friction as innately possible, defined by ones moral alignment obviously.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

"Hot damn! Wha'd you say this thing'd do!?!?!!?"
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

A couple of my daughters did paintballing a couple of years ago and said it was fun but hurt like a mo-fo. Not my kind of game though. They have to try these toys out on living animals? They can't construct objects to shoot at?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I'm sure the armies of the world get through a lot of pigs too, though maybe paintballed bacon would be less appetizing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

spot;1298050 wrote: I'm sure the armies of the world get through a lot of pigs too, though maybe paintballed bacon would be less appetizing.

Bless the beasts and the children..........
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Ahso!;1298049 wrote: A couple of my daughters did paintballing a couple of years ago and said it was fun but hurt like a mo-fo. Not my kind of game though. They have to try these toys out on living animals? They can't construct objects to shoot at?

"theoretically capable of firing a paintball through a mature pig".

That don't mean they actually did it.:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1298059 wrote: "theoretically capable of firing a paintball through a mature pig".I wonder whether the direction of the shot makes any difference to it going through - sideways on, or back to front perhaps.

I doubt there's a prototype yet and you can't shoot anything with just a patent.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Well, "potato guns" work in a similar fashion.

http://dangerouslyfun.com/spud-gun
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I would imagine that a paintball gun that will go through a mature pig would also go through a mature paintballer. What next paintball air support? They already have artillery, machine guns and mines, maybe they'll be made more lethal just to bring out the realism in the game....using blood instead of paint...:thinking:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

FUBAR;1298136 wrote: I would imagine that a paintball gun that will go through a mature pig would also go through a mature paintballer. What next paintball air support? They already have artillery, machine guns and mines, maybe they'll be made more lethal just to bring out the realism in the game....using blood instead of paint...:thinking:

Oh for heavens sake it's a patent. There's nothing in the damn article that suggests this machine will be placed in the market if the weapon could fire a paintball, of all sorts, through a mature pig. The article blatantly saysTippman's patent application suggests that he will regulate his "projectile launcher" so as to keep it in the realms of sub-lethal paintball force, instead exploiting the greater puissance of his technology to offer a much larger number of shots before reloading than compressed gas guns can. Nazi-doodlebug-powered father of all paintball guns patented ? The Register

It's an amusing observation. Do people "genuinely" believe everything they read?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1298049 wrote: A couple of my daughters did paintballing a couple of years ago and said it was fun but hurt like a mo-fo. Not my kind of game though. They have to try these toys out on living animals? They can't construct objects to shoot at?

It's equally as obvious that using pigs, which would have to be dead upon testing otherwise face "huge" penalties, would be a complete and utter waste of money.

I'd have to imagine some Styrofoam would suffice considering...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1298141 wrote: It's an amusing observation. Do people "genuinely" believe everything they read?

On that, we'd be applauding such an obviously excellent idea if this were brought about in a different light. Innovation. Not as if safety regulations were invented the day before this blueprint was expounded due to an overnight craze to dehabilitate society by virtue of their own intrinsic curiosities.
spot

Post by spot »

I hope people are browsing The Register when they go there, it's got a lot of up to date information.

Return to “Societal Issues News”