Black people must leave, NJ Walmart announcer says

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.

A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Full Story Link: Black people must leave, NJ Walmart announcer says - Yahoo! Finance
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

This also came up in "The Daily Telegraph" a few days ago:

Walmart announcement tells 'all black people' to leave store - Telegraph
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

This just sickens me that this prejudice still exists today. IMO, "all men are created equal." There is (IMO) no apology that would be acceptable. This is just another reason why I would never patronize Walmart.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Jazzy;1297864 wrote: This just sickens me that this prejudice still exists today. IMO, "all men are created equal." There is (IMO) no apology that would be acceptable. This is just another reason why I would never patronize Walmart.

You think this was WalMart's fault?

Some clown grabs the PA mike and pulls a prank, and everyone is ready to crucify WalMart. Amazing.

Firstly, it could happen at ANY retail store, anywhere in the country.

Secondly, to your prejudice, comment, Where do you live? Prejudice abounds in this country. The face has changed, but it is still there, and if you don't see it, you're not looking.

And it ain't WalMart's fault.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Jazzy;1297864 wrote: This just sickens me that this prejudice still exists today. IMO, "all men are created equal." There is (IMO) no apology that would be acceptable. This is just another reason why I would never patronize Walmart.
You think this is Walmart policy? I highly doubt it. I think Walmart likes the money black people spend at their stores. I imagine it was either a rogue employee or a customer that got ahold of the PA system.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

I don't think a company should be yelled at for someone's personal statement... they don't know if it was an eployee or a customer.... if so i haven't heard about it... we all know Walmart would never be stupid enough to say a racial comment like that... it would be more upsetting if a walmart spokes person were to say it
Smoke signals ftw!
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

There is an saying: “you can’t legislate stupidity” (I love that)

That is all this is.. stupid.

Some moron did something stupid and now everyone is jumping all over Wallmart.

Do they discriminate in their hiring policies? NO

Do they refuse to serve customers due to ethnic or religious background? No

Now what will happen is that there will need to be money wasting in training staff on making announcements. Or announcements will be limited to staff so that every dimwit can’t grab a mic.

This is just stupid stupid stupid.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

mikeinie;1297885 wrote: There is an saying: “you can’t legislate stupidity” (I love that)

That is all this is.. stupid.

Some moron did something stupid and now everyone is jumping all over Wallmart.

Do they discriminate in their hiring policies? NO

Do they refuse to serve customers due to ethnic or religious background? No

Now what will happen is that there will need to be money wasting in training staff on making announcements. Or announcements will be limited to staff so that every dimwit can’t grab a mic.

This is just stupid stupid stupid.You can say that again! They will probably need to integrate a keypad with every mic and each time a person wants to use it they will have to enter a pin.

I disagree with the owners of Walmart politically, but I like the fact that they cater to a segment of the population that many other retailers try to avoid. Also, they are one of the rare retailers who is competitive with online shopping - even ebay in many instances.

I shop there!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1297847 wrote: WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.

A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Full Story Link: Black people must leave, NJ Walmart announcer says - Yahoo! Finance

It sound like a customer did this.:rolleyes::-5:mad::lips:
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

My thoughts as well LarsMac. They might need to tighten up on how the PA system is used. Will it stop me from shopping at WALMART not at all they have the best deals in town hands down, they beat COSTCO for certain office supply items that I purchase for work. Bottom line you can get it cheaper at WALMART, in todays economy that works for me.

[QUOTE]You think this was WalMart's fault?

Some clown grabs the PA mike and pulls a prank, and everyone is ready to crucify WalMart. Amazing.

Firstly, it could happen at ANY retail store, anywhere in the country.

Secondly, to your prejudice, comment, Where do you live? Prejudice abounds in this country. The face has changed, but it is still there, and if you don't see it, you're not looking.

And it ain't WalMart's fault.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

cars

Post by cars »

As it was already said, it's not entirely Wallymart's fault, for a stupid announcement! It is their fault however, that Wallymart did not have better security precautions on their "PA" system! I'm sure from now on they will have a PA security policy in all their stores!!!

If you think about it, it could/may even have been done by a "Target Store Spy", sent to wound Wallymart's overwhelming competition! It worked, as already posted, many are already jumping on the band wagon to crucify Wallymart!!! :wah:
Cars :)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Sheesh, what a reaction to someone's joke in poor taste, or something done with intent to damage the shop's reputation/sales, or someone's personal vendetta!

"Officials from Wal-Mart Stores are reviewing security tapes to try to determine who made the announcement."

So, they're trying to get onto him.

"Witnesses told the Courier-Post newspaper that customers and store employees looked stunned"

So, people there, working and buying, weren't falling around with laughter.

"Management later apologised"

That's nice of them, isn't it!

Company spokeswoman Ashley Hardie says the incident was "unacceptable."

That's nice too.

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup.
Odie

Post by Odie »

cars;1297914 wrote: As it was already said, it's not entirely Wallymart's fault, for a stupid announcement! It is their fault however, that Wallymart did not have better security precautions on their "PA" system! I'm sure from now on they will have a PA security policy in all their stores!!!

If you think about it, it could/may even have been done by a "Target Store Spy", sent to wound Wallymart's overwhelming competition! It worked, as already posted, many are already jumping on the band wagon to crucify Wallymart!!! :wah:

of course it wasn't their fault, whoever thought it was?:rolleyes:

it wasn't their staff.

probably some irate customer!:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The person was probably just being "humorous"...
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Much ado about nothing?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I'd like to see an announcement made In Sainsbury's saying 'All Chavs must leave the store now and never return'.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1298107 wrote: I'd like to see an announcement made In Sainsbury's saying 'All Chavs must leave the store now and never return'.

cracks me up sometimes when I go looking for an explanation of some terms you guys use...:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Urban Dictionary: chavs

Chavs are retards who think that they're rebels and also think that their local McDonalds is a 5-star restraunt.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have noticed that in our local Tesco supermarket, that the mike used for announcements is within easy reach of any passing customers - very tempting to somebody in that frame of mind, if there was no member of staff around! Time to have the microphone moved to a more inaccessible place, methinks.

I think if that announcement had been made in my local Tesco's, probably half of the customers would have left !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1298164 wrote: I have noticed that in our local Tesco supermarket, that the mike used for announcements is within easy reach of any passing customers - very tempting to somebody in that frame of mind, if there was no member of staff around! Time to have the microphone moved to a more inaccessible place, methinks.

I think if that announcement had been made in my local Tesco's, probably half of the customers would have left ! That's a good reason for me to visit Tesco, grab the Mike and announce all Items are free for the next hour. :yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1298197 wrote: That's a good reason for me to visit Tesco, grab the Mike and announce all Items are free for the next hour. :yh_rotfl

wait for me!:yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The culprit is caught:

Police: Boy, 16, made racial comment at NJ Walmart - U.S. news- msnbc.com

Kid probably did it on a dare from his "friends"
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1298202 wrote: The culprit is caught:

Death Penalty?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

oscar;1298208 wrote: Death Penalty?

nope, 100,000 hrs of being a Door Greeter.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1298210 wrote: nope, 100,000 hrs of being a Door Greeter.

In Harlem :yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1298210 wrote: nope, 100,000 hrs of being a Door Greeter. Damn.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Think Id rather swing.......
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1298210 wrote: nope, 100,000 hrs of being a Door Greeter.

Doing this would take 4,166.6666666666666666666666666667 days if the scum had worked 24 hours a day.
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1298202 wrote: The culprit is caught:

teenagers, who would have guessed?:rolleyes::-5

Return to “Societal Issues News”