Jailed for self defense?

BTS

Jailed for self defense?

Post by BTS »

Gee WIZZZ.................

Who put their self in this situation? The homeowner or the intruder?

Put me on that jury!!!!!

Better yet let him come into my house and threaten my family.....

If need be I will drag his dead body back into my house!!!

Scumbag
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
spot

Jailed for self defense?

Post by spot »

If what you propose doing is legal in your country, BTS, then by all means go for it. The example and discussion were about the UK where it's not.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Jailed for self defense?

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1283766 wrote: Freed on appeal with a suspended sentence and several years reporting on probation.

BBC News - Jailed businessman Munir Hussain freed by court

Which is fair enough, he's no more likely to re-offend than I am to take a cricket bat to someone in the first place.

I understand that although the so-called victim in this case was, at the time of this incident, unable to plead because he had brain damage, so he escaped trial for his own crimes. This 'victim' has since been arrested for other crimes - but I'm not sure whether they were committed prior to this case or after the trial. Can anybody clarify?

If he offended after the trial, then his 'brain damage' didn't impair him for doing more crime did it? Perhaps he will get an appropriate punishment after all, when his case comes up for trial. It really does make you wonder if criminals like that could ever be successfully rehabilitated, particularly when this guy had been so savagely beaten by the people he was trying to rob and threaten - did he not learn a lesson then?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Clodhopper

Jailed for self defense?

Post by Clodhopper »

Don't know about the crimes in this case. But brain damage could well mean he is no longer able to distinguish between his and others' property, or has completely lost the ability to know right from wrong. At that point he might be declared criminally insane.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Jailed for self defense?

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1284085 wrote: I understand that although the so-called victim in this case was, at the time of this incident, unable to plead because he had brain damage, so he escaped trial for his own crimes. This 'victim' has since been arrested for other crimes - but I'm not sure whether they were committed prior to this case or after the trial. Can anybody clarify?

If he offended after the trial, then his 'brain damage' didn't impair him for doing more crime did it? Perhaps he will get an appropriate punishment after all, when his case comes up for trial. It really does make you wonder if criminals like that could ever be successfully rehabilitated, particularly when this guy had been so savagely beaten by the people he was trying to rob and threaten - did he not learn a lesson then?

Walid Salem was beaten and arrested in September 2008 and subsequently found to be brain damaged as a result.

He was arrested again in January 2009 and found to be in possession of 20 counterfeit credit cards, a false driving licence, a stolen driving licence photocard, a stolen driving license photocard, National Insurance Card and Halifax card. He was held in prison from then until November 2009. He's been given an absolute discharge both for the attempted burglary and for the possession because he was deemed unfit to plead.

I've seen newspapers claiming "a crime spree" between September 2008 and January 2009, but nothing in the trial to suggest it's true. I think it's fantasy but I'm prepared to be corrected if anyone can find something more than rabid shoddy reporting with an agenda. As far as I can see the police found the stuff and charged him with stealing them, I take it they were stolen before he was brain damaged.

Due to all the fuss, Salem will undergo further medical assessments. If it turns out he is actually found fit to stand trial, "he could be charged and brought before a court, a Crown Prosecution Service source said. The maximum sentence for false imprisonment is life in jail". So, the fat lady's still not come on stage and sung.

His daughter told reporters he was in a prison rehabilitation unit because of his brain damage. She said: 'He needs a bit of help in his day-to-day life. He is still so ill he doesn't really understand it. He doesn't know what is going on. He has been like that since the attack. But we are all visiting him and doing well by him'. That, I take it, reasonably describes his condition. The judge in November evidently felt so, anyway.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Jailed for self defense?

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you Mr. spot xxx
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “Societal Issues News”