If you ever wondered where your foreign aid went

gmc

Post by gmc »

If this doesn't make you angry I give up.

Johann Hari: We must stop the 'vulture funds' that feed on the world's poor - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

Would you ever march up to a destitute African who is shivering with Aids and demand he "pay back" tens of thousands of pounds he didn't borrow – with interest? I only ask because this is in effect happening, here, in British and American courts, time after time. Some of the richest people in the world are making profit margins of 500 per cent by shaking money out of the poorest people in the world – for debt they did not incur.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1243500 wrote: If this doesn't make you angry I give up.

Johann Hari: We must stop the 'vulture funds' that feed on the world's poor - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
How do you feel about the 'Homeward Bound' scheme that Labour are proposing but actually stole off the BNP policy site?

The argument is that we do Indeed lose millions in aid to corrupt Governments and We are better off giving a large lump some to the Individual in order to set up business in Africa which in turn will create jobs and wealth in their own country instead of going to the corrupt politicians. ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1243503 wrote: How do you feel about the 'Homeward Bound' scheme that Labour are proposing but actually stole off the BNP policy site?

The argument is that we do Indeed lose millions in aid to corrupt Governments and We are better off giving a large lump some to the Individual in order to set up business in Africa which in turn will create jobs and wealth in their own country instead of going to the corrupt politicians. ?

The tenor of my initial post should give you a clue as to what I might think. Ordinary people give millions in aid (not each one obviously) and guys like these take advantage of a loophole in the law to make themselves rich and bribe the politicians so they do nothing about it.

The trickle down theory of economics has so thoroughly discredited it's hard to believe anyone can still hold to it. But then Gordon brown and the BNP can hardly be considered as-well as anything really. People will look back at the history of the last decade and wonder what on earth were we thinking voting for that clown.

I'd lie to think two generations from now there will be a question in a history exam paper that is something like- "how did the disaster of new labour's time in office change british politics for the better."

Gordon brown probably isn't a hypocrite-that would tend to suggest he was cocking things up knowingly.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1243830 wrote: The tenor of my initial post should give you a clue as to what I might think. Ordinary people give millions in aid (not each one obviously) and guys like these take advantage of a loophole in the law to make themselves rich and bribe the politicians so they do nothing about it.

The trickle down theory of economics has so thoroughly discredited it's hard to believe anyone can still hold to it. But then Gordon brown and the BNP can hardly be considered as-well as anything really. People will look back at the history of the last decade and wonder what on earth were we thinking voting for that clown.

I'd lie to think two generations from now there will be a question in a history exam paper that is something like- "how did the disaster of new labour's time in office change british politics for the better."

Gordon brown probably isn't a hypocrite-that would tend to suggest he was cocking things up knowingly.
:wah: You can't resist dissing the main man can you?

How do you see any country solving the problem of aid?

We can not over-turn every corrupt politician and government in third world countries, yet, if we stop the aid, even in the trickle down effect, help won't get to the people who need it.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Its an outrage. If it happened to Mrs Miggins, as is often the case, especially in the present climate, the loan shark would, quite rightly, have his collar felt.

The way the western world gets rich off the back of African misery is nothing short of scandalous.

The likes of you and me, can often negotiate away a spiralling debt. The result of which may mean a vastly reduced payment or in some cases, a debt write-off. No such deals for the starving and the AIDS ridden though
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1243940 wrote: Its an outrage. If it happened to Mrs Miggins, as is often the case, especially in the present climate, the loan shark would, quite rightly, have his collar felt.

The way the western world gets rich off the back of African misery is nothing short of scandalous.

The likes of you and me, can often negotiate away a spiralling debt. The result of which may mean a vastly reduced payment or in some cases, a debt write-off. No such deals for the starving and the AIDS ridden though

Given the opportunity these guys will rip if anybody. Next time you hear someone bleating companies shouldn't have their activities restricted or controlled in any way just remember it could be you next time.

Return to “Societal Issues News”