boy turns girl in the summer holidays the AA grumpy column

pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

good morning from grumpy towers

now i just couldnt resist posting this but i was unsure wether to post it under bizzare or societial news.

A BOY aged 12 turned up at school as a GIRL - after changing sex during the summer holidays.

Teachers called an emergency assembly to order fellow pupils to treat him as female.

The lad, whose parents have changed his name to a girl's by deed poll, arrived in a dress with long hair in ribboned pigtails. He is preparing for sex-swap surgery.

Angry parents told yesterday how their kids were left tearful and confused after school staff announced the boy pupil was now a girl.

They said the head teacher should have informed them in advance of the "sex change" so they could prepare their sons and daughters and inform them about gender issues.

They added that the school's failure to do so had left the boy to suffer cruel taunts and bullying.

One mum said: "They behaved appallingly by throwing this hand grenade into the room and then leaving the inevitable questions about it for unprepared parents.

"Maybe we could have explained sexual politics and encouraged our kids to be more sensitive if we'd had a chance to be involved."

Over the summer holidays his parents changed his name to a female one by deed poll. He is preparing to undergo hormone treatment and surgery - and could become the world's youngest sex-swap patient in the coming years.

The Sun knows his identity but will not reveal it. His mother told us last night: "We are committed to ensuring the very best for our child. We are working with other agencies to ensure our child's welfare is protected."

The 1,000-pupil school, in southern England, has given the lad a separate toilet and changing room in the sports hall.

It is understood he hoped his transformation would go unnoticed as he was starting secondary education and children stepping up from other primary schools would not recognise him.

But his former classmates at primary level DID spot the difference - and quickly spread the word.

The boy, who for years has told pals he yearns to be a girl, had to endure spiteful jibes and was asked by some kids: "Are you gay?"

Teachers stepped in with the emergency assembly, at which pupils were threatened with tough disciplinary action if they failed to treat him as a girl or use his new name. Some bewildered youngsters burst into tears.

The mum, whose daughter was a classmate of the lad at primary school, said: "She told me the pupil is already a target for bullying.

"And what has really upset the parents is that the school didn't see fit to send us a letter first so we could explain it to our children in our own way.

"Parents surely have a right to know when their children are being confronted with such sensitive issues as gender realignment at such a young age.

"They were simply told, 'You may notice one pupil is not present in this assembly - that is because the pupil is now a girl.'

"Kids are by nature immature and insensitive. It is not fair either for the child who is undergoing this change. The girl, as she now is, will go through hell because of how this has been handled."

The lad was absent from school yesterday because of the taunts.

His family, who live on a council estate, have received threats and are under police protection.

It is understood the head at his primary school insisted he was treated as a boy - and used male toilets - despite his frequent "girlie" behaviour.

He wore a bikini instead of trunks at swimming lessons, dried himself on Barbie towels, rode a pink scooter to school and wore pink ribbons in his hair.

But a source at the secondary school, who referred to the pupil in both genders, said: "His parents have accepted he has now chosen to be a girl, and that's how he will be. She has not come into school since the assembly. There were things that went on in the community which have been extremely upsetting for the family.

"It was a knock-on effect from what was said in school. So they can't let her come in for her own safety. We have no idea exactly when she will be coming back, but she WILL be back."

Transgender counsellor David Hawley last night paid tribute to the pupil's "strength of character".

He said: "It is very unusual for a child of that age to be that clear about what they want to do. She has had a lot of support from her parents. So I imagine she was comfortable with herself before going to school and now she is discovering it can be a nasty world, which is hard at that age."

Psychotherapist James Caspian said the child would not be allowed hormone treatment in the UK until passing puberty. Meanwhile he and the other kids would have to cope with the shockwaves caused by the switch.

Mr Caspian said: "These children are old enough to have picked up a lot of taboos from society."

German Kim Petras - born Tim - became the world's youngest transsexual at 16 earlier this year.

Boy, 12, turns into girl | The Sun |News

AAG

now i must tread carefully here as to what i write infact to be honest this one has left your grumps speechless.

how can a 12 year old child decide if he wants to become a girl ?

however the p.c brigade and transgender brigade stepped in heavy handed to those who refuse to call him by his girls name by threats of severe punishment.

even you,re grumps is confuddled now .

where,s me fags ? oh in me handbag.
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

I think if the child was born a hermaphrodite then yes, this would be acceptable as it could be deemed that the child clearly felt that she was becoming a woman, especially at the onset of puberty.

But if not, then I feel that the parents should at least allow the child to become an adult to really decide what is best for him/her.

I can imagine that the other pupils would find the situation strange and quite difficult to deal with. Children can also be very cruel and no doubt this child will be regarded as an oddity and possible a butt of many jokes etc.. No matter how you look at it, it will be a difficult time for the child.
Peg

Post by Peg »

12 years old is a tough age for anyone. Surely the child and the parents had to know the change would not go smoothly. Kids can be so cruel. So can adults. His family has received threats? Why? How does his sex change affect anyone else? Is it harmful to neighbors in any way? Yes, the school should've informed the parents before the assembly. Would it have changed the outcome? I doubt it.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Peg;1243460 wrote: 12 years old is a tough age for anyone. Surely the child and the parents had to know the change would not go smoothly. Kids can be so cruel. So can adults. His family has received threats? Why? How does his sex change affect anyone else? Is it harmful to neighbors in any way? Yes, the school should've informed the parents before the assembly. Would it have changed the outcome? I doubt it.
I'm not an expert on these matters but from everything I have read, it seems that children know from a very early age if they are born into the wrong sex. What is Important, is that the child is totally comfortable in his or her own skin and to hell with what any-one else thinks.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Post by Peg »

oscar;1243539 wrote: I'm not an expert on these matters but from everything I have read, it seems that children know from a very early age if they are born into the wrong sex. What is Important, is that the child is totally comfortable in his or her own skin and to hell with what any-one else thinks.

But how do they grow up happy and well adjusted either way? If they are born into the wrong sex, they are miserable. If they try to right the wrong, for lack of better words, then they are the object of ridicule. It's a sad, sad situation either way.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Peg;1243543 wrote: But how do they grow up happy and well adjusted either way? If they are born into the wrong sex, they are miserable. If they try to right the wrong, for lack of better words, then they are the object of ridicule. It's a sad, sad situation either way. It's society that does the ridiculing that has the problem not the child in the wrong sex. We need to be more tolerant as a society and rear children to be more tolerant I feel.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Societal Issues News”