The Cell-phone Phenomenon

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

It wasn't too long ago that, if we wanted to phone somebody, we had to use a land-line phone from a residence, or workplace, or phone booth. Only. And.........we just called the apparatus a"telephone", not a "land-line phone". Nowadays, folks can always keep in touch....anytime and anywhere. Now....with the great invention of the "cell phone". Ohh...the convenience of modern technology. But I wonder if the cell phone is a blessing or a curse. ???

I do admit that I do have a cell phone. But I do not feel the need to use it compulsively. I have it in my pocession for emergencies, and for that reason, it has served me well.

The cell phone is a great invention, but when the people who are using them are rude or careless........it's not so great.

It is on this thread where you can post your thoughts or your experiences with the cell phone. Come on.............I know you have one. ;)

I will start. Folks are even writing "Dear Abby" about this subject. :)

DEAR ABBY: Your answer to "Minneapolis Commuter" (June 8), who was sick of overhearing personal cell phone conversations, missed the mark. I ride public transit to and from Sacramento every day, and most of the time the passengers -- like me -- just want a quiet ride to work and back. Sometimes a rude, obnoxious and very loud person will get on and make life miserable for the rest of us.

Moving to another seat is not an option because their voices carry throughout the entire bus. Often these conversations are laced with profanity, and it becomes an endurance test to remain polite.

I no longer feel that being polite is the best solution with such people. They need to be reminded about common courtesy and respect for their neighbors. There have been days when the bus driver actually stopped the bus and ordered such passengers off. I dare say, you have not been on public transit in a while, or you would not have dismissed the complaint so quickly. -- SACRAMENTO COMMUTER

DEAR COMMUTER: You are right. I haven't used public transit for some time, however, several of my staff use it daily and tell me, as you have, that phone users can be rude and obnoxious.

Contacting your local public transit carrier and complaining seems to be the best way to handle the situation. If they receive enough complaints -- and I'm sure they will -- they may initiate policies to stop such rude behavior. And if all else fails: earplugs!

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The dumbclutz that shocked me was in the quiet coach on the train and buying something mail order in a very loud voice.

To the extent of shouting out her card number, twice!

Dumbclutz :wah:
Lon

Post by Lon »

Although I am fairly computer literate, I am Cell Phone Stupid. I have a prepay "Jitterbug" cellphone that only sends and receives, has large lit up numbers, great for hearing impaired folk, no texting, no voice mail, seems to work everywhere without blind spots. For my age I am probably typical with my average phone conversation being less than a minute. However, if I was back in the work force I'd have a state of the art cell with all the bells and whistles. I'd like to have $5.00 for every time I had to stop at a gas station to use a phone booth in the rain and tell a client I would be delayed.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Bryn Mawr;1226412 wrote: The dumbclutz that shocked me was in the quiet coach on the train and buying something mail order in a very loud voice.

To the extent of shouting out her card number, twice!

Dumbclutz :wah:

Whenever I've been in the quiet coach, there always seemed to be one person mouthing away into a mobile...I mean, what part of "quiet coach" don't they get?:confused:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Cell phones only make already rude people even more so. My sil used to call me on her cell phone. At some point during our conversation she would say, "hang on, I got a call coming in", and put me on hold. After I hung up on her a time or two, she got the hint.
along-for-the-ride

When I go to the Flea Market, I am amazed at the fact that there are several booths solely dedicated to selling cell phone COVERS. :wah: The have tons of them. Anything to help you personalize your cell phone..........and make a buck.

Below are some examples of just a few;

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

I found a link to proper cell-phone etiquette.

Top 10 Cell Phone Etiquette Rules People Still Break | The Best Article Every day

:wah: People break these rules all the time, don't they?
along-for-the-ride

This is the most dangerous behavior as far as I'm concerned. :-5

5. Texting while driving.

Somebody please get the “Darwin Awards” on the phone. Of course, if you’re driving when you do, make sure you’re on hands free or have pulled over before you start explaining how there are people who send texts while behind the wheel of a vehicle. According to a Harvard University study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year. And that’s with eyes on the road! Laws are in place to make sure people aren’t talking on their phones, and yet people are typing?!?! (I very rarely use the double question mark with the double exclamation point at the end of sentences, but this is ridiculous) I would love to see the tombstone: Was LOL when he WCTTFW (Went crashing through the freaking windshield) Anyone caught texting while driving should be stripped of their driving license forever.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Phenomenum

I hate that word!! I can't say it without thinking about it first .:-5:-5

Damn, I'm saying it in my head now and it's just not coming out right in my mouth.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

dubs;1226428 wrote: Whenever I've been in the quiet coach, there always seemed to be one person mouthing away into a mobile...I mean, what part of "quiet coach" don't they get?:confused:

So many of them get abusive when asked to stop as well - why sit in the quiet coach when you want to be noisy?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Quiet coach???:-2
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

along-for-the-ride;1226468 wrote: this is the most dangerous behavior as far as i'm concerned. :-5

5. Texting while driving.

Somebody please get the “darwin awards” on the phone. Of course, if you’re driving when you do, make sure you’re on hands free or have pulled over before you start explaining how there are people who send texts while behind the wheel of a vehicle. According to a harvard university study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year. And that’s with eyes on the road! Laws are in place to make sure people aren’t talking on their phones, and yet people are typing?!?! (i very rarely use the double question mark with the double exclamation point at the end of sentences, but this is ridiculous) i would love to see the tombstone: Was lol when he wcttfw (went crashing through the freaking windshield) anyone caught texting while driving should be stripped of their driving license forever.

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I think it is amazing how that technology has taken the world by storm. My kids are amazed when I tell them that the wall phone was really cool when it came out, or when you use to have one, maybe two phones on the house before the phone-jacks were installed.

It is a funny balance though isn’t it? As much as it is a phone, it is now also a personal safety device. As soon as the kids are old enough to be going out anywhere on their own, the first thing they get is a cell phone. ‘Call if you need me’ ‘text me to let me know where you are’ ‘text me when you are on your way home’.

If we leave the house without the phone, we will turn the car around to go back and get it, ‘what if we break down on the way and need to call someone’, ‘what if there is an accident, we will need to phone someone’.

In developing countries they are not putting in land-lines at all. It is too expensive to run cable and telephone poles etc. It is easier and cheaper to go directly to cell phone.

The big debate in our house now is, why have a land line at all? We pay for the line, the phone etc, when well over 80% of calls that come into the house are to the cell phones. We may get rid of the house phone altogether in the near future.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

fuzzywuzzy;1226648 wrote: Quiet coach???:-2

The train I take to DC has a quiet coach, not talking on cell phones and usually talking at all. It is the best car to ride in.

Cell phones-it was a valuable aid to me when my husband was first sick-the nurse could call straight through to class that an emergency arose. If the call went through the office, it might have been hours until I got the message. I am still the only teacher allowed to have a cell phone turned on in the classroom, but there has been no emergency calls for 2 years now. I do not misuse this privalege, only calls from the nurse are set to ring during school time.

I got a new cover for my phone yesterday, it was see through since the phone is blue. But I needed the clip for my belt. I had on a fancy one-pink and black stripes-and my duaghter joyfully took it for her phone. Those things cost a pretty penny, the new one was $30, and made to fit that specific phone model. It is a ripoff.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

I remember when mobile phones first came into fashion here in the days they were the size of bricks. To have one seemed to be a staus symbol rather than necessity and people would go to great lengths to show all around them that not only did they have one, but how important their call was by shouting into them. Years ago commuting into London by train, i would have to laugh at some conversations that were taking place in full view of strangers. One example that makes me laugh to this day was a chap in a business suit talking into his phone in a full train carraige about how he secured a million pound deal for his company only for his phone to actually ring as he was talking into it.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah:
minks

Post by minks »

Im not to keen on these "tracking" devices. I suppose there is always the plus and the minus. I guess to when one is a bit reclusive like myself, when I am hiding out I want to hide out, I don't want to be phoned. However, I always check the phone when it rings to see if it is either one of my daughters, or my folks. Thank goodness for the "you don't have to answer it" option :)

Most of that stems from the fact I am currently tied to a company phone and get messages and calls at all hours of the night from various countries Overseas...:-5 Ugh!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1226648 wrote: Quiet coach???:-2

One coach on the train is designated as the quiet coach where passengers are told not to use mobile phones, walkmans etc or to make excessive noise of any kind.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1226810 wrote: One coach on the train is designated as the quiet coach where passengers are told not to use mobile phones, walkmans etc or to make excessive noise of any kind. Otherwise known as the Millwall supporters carraige.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1226814 wrote: Otherwise known as the Millwall supporters carraige.

I've never had the pleasure but I know exactly what you mean.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Oops

Post by Oops »

You'd be amazed at the amount of patients we get who answer their mobile phones and then go on to have full blown conversations while lying in the dental chair in the middle of getting treatment, while we just sit there pretending we have nothing better to do :-5
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Oops;1226907 wrote: You'd be amazed at the amount of patients we get who answer their mobile phones and then go on to have full blown conversations while lying in the dental chair in the middle of getting treatment, while we just sit there pretending we have nothing better to do :-5
That is just so rude. I hate the one's where they phone you while your busy and then turn and have a second conversation with some-one else in the room with them while telling you to hang on a minute....... No....... I hang up on them. :-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

mikeinie;1226847 wrote: YouTube - Technological Terror

:wah: Good one, Mike.

Feel like having some fresh popcorn? No microwave or stove? Just get 4 cell phones together. :-2

Cell Phones Popping Corn Video by Joel - MySpace Video
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oops;1226907 wrote: You'd be amazed at the amount of patients we get who answer their mobile phones and then go on to have full blown conversations while lying in the dental chair in the middle of getting treatment, while we just sit there pretending we have nothing better to do :-5

That is rude.

But the day the hospital called to hurry and get over there because of an emergency crisis with my husband, I had the cell turned off while sitting in the dentists chair. I have learned to put it on vibrate now. :-1
along-for-the-ride

Last year, Hubby had a heart attack and was in the hospital having stents put in.

A few of his sisters and I sat in the waiting room until the doctor came out to tell us the outcome of the procedure. She lead us all to a smaller room to talk to us about how the procedure went and how my Hubby was, etc. During this meeting, one of these sisters had a cell phone that kept ringing. She could have turned it off or put in on vibrate. This was very annoying to me. I am trying to listen to the doctor and here was this cell phone ringing. I'll never forget that.
Oops

Post by Oops »

chonsigirl;1227048 wrote: That is rude.

But the day the hospital called to hurry and get over there because of an emergency crisis with my husband, I had the cell turned off while sitting in the dentists chair. I have learned to put it on vibrate now. :-1

Actually you've just reminded me about something i'd forgotten about (i wasnt the nurse in the room at the time, i think i was off that day) One patient answered her phone to be told that her daughter had died :-1

I think mobile phones are fantastic for emergencies etc and i'd imagine if i had a child i wouldnt want them to leave home without it but they definately have their down sides too.
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~

Return to “Societal Issues News”