What Does the Word Hero Mean?

Clint

Post by Clint »

When I called Captain Phillips a hero for saying; "take me rather than my crew", I wasn't able to say what I wanted to say. He’s not in the same league with those we call “heroes” before they ever do anything heroic. Firefighters, police and military are called heroes before they do anything like what Captain Phillips did. Does calling Captain Phillips a hero mean what it should when we call people who do well in sports, “sports heroes”?

Has the word lost its meaning? Should we come up with a new word to describe those who put their lives on the line to perform selfless acts? Don’t they deserve to be held up as more special than the others?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This man is a HERO he gave himself up for his crew doesn't get any more heroic than that.

Yes its lost it meaning in some areas especially sports they aren't hero's they are just extremely athletic and excel in their sport, not hero's in my eyes. Some could be considered role models but HERO'S NO..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clint;1174903 wrote: When I called Captain Phillips a hero for saying; "take me rather than my crew", I wasn't able to say what I wanted to say. He’s not in the same league with those we call “heroes” before they ever do anything heroic. Firefighters, police and military are called heroes before they do anything like what Captain Phillips did. Does calling Captain Phillips a hero mean what it should when we call people who do well in sports, “sports heroes”?

Has the word lost its meaning? Should we come up with a new word to describe those who put their lives on the line to perform selfless acts? Don’t they deserve to be held up as more special than the others? I believe the word has lost it's meaning. We see it being applied all the time. 'Hero' is now applied to anyone even a half baked idiot who's come last in the London marathon dressed as a chicken in the name of charity. My father was a pilot in the war and my grandfather was blown up on the Somme. That's real hero's.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
panzermk2

Post by panzermk2 »

The three Navy Seals that pulled off simultaneous head shots on the Pirates on the high seas from a pitching and rolling deck to another boat doing the same thing qualifies as Hero status to me.
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

(Without cunning a nation shall fall, [But] Salvation Come By Many Good Councils)
Oscar Namechange

panzermk2;1175069 wrote: The three Navy Seals that pulled off simultaneous head shots on the Pirates on the high seas from a pitching and rolling deck to another boat doing the same thing qualifies as Hero status to me. Yes, that was awesome i agree.

Welcome to our forum :):)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
panzermk2

Post by panzermk2 »

Thank you.

(Without cunning a nation shall fall, [But] Salvation Come By Many Good Councils)
Oscar Namechange

panzermk2;1175077 wrote: Thank you. Your welcome..... hope you stick around. :):)
Clint

Post by Clint »

panzermk2;1175069 wrote: The three Navy Seals that pulled off simultaneous head shots on the Pirates on the high seas from a pitching and rolling deck to another boat doing the same thing qualifies as Hero status to me.

I have great admiration for the Seals. They did their job very well and even risked their lives to get there. The difference between them and Captain Phillips is that they didn't offer their lives for the lives of others when it wasn't requed. I would call them all heroes but I would pin the lagrest medal on Captain Phillips' chest.

Welcome to ForumGarden and I too hope you stay around.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The Captain is a hero, he gave himself up in exchange for the lives of his men. The Navy Seals, they were too, putting themselves on the line to save the Captain.

The term "sports hero" is not in the same category at all, just someone people admire for their physical abilities.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I hate with a passion the word 'hero'. The Navy seals did their job, and most likely under orders. The Captain of the ship did his job. It is his job to protect his crew and ship, that's why they call HIM the captain. And he has done a fine job. and I'm sure he chose to do this job because of the pay. He also knows the risks of these waters because it's been going on for over a decade.

You see i look at things a bit different as you guys know.

what if all these people you call "hero" because they did something in your eyes as heroic, is a wife beater or kicks puppies in their spare time? Or has politics so outragious to your senses that it makes you want to puke. Or sometime down the track we find they have been visiting overseas countries for the precise purpose of pedo tours?

I believe people do couragous things in everyday life but Hero? Nope. don't like words that sum up and entire persons personality
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Sorry Fuzz but I dont agree. The Captains job is certainly to look after his ship and crew but what he did went beyond the call of duty. His role as a captain does not call for him to give up his life for his crew but his character did. His act was selfless

We cannot presume anything else about the lives of heros other than the actions they took. For example, should we look into the past life of, say, a WW II soldier, awarded the Victorious Cross, to see if the rest of his life marries up with his commendable military service ? I think not. He would be awarded the medal for his valour, pure and simple.

The word IS overused but I'm of the opinion that for Captain Phillips it is warrented
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
BTS

Post by BTS »

What does the word hero mean to me?

Right now in history.............Marcus Luttrell (Bio) is my favorite hero.

Let me share why.

In June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in Afghanistan for the Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader. Less then twenty-four hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive.

This is the story of how team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle that led to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history. More than anything this is the story of how his teammates stood beside him until he was the last one left; blasted unconscious by a rocket grenade, blown over a cliff, but still armed and breathing.

Over the next four days, badly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell fought off six al Qaeda assassins who were sent to finish him, then crawled for seven miles through the mountains before he was taken in by a Pashtun tribe, who risked everything to protect him from the Taliban.

In this moving chronicle of courage Marcus Luttrell delivers one of the most powerful narratives ever written about modern warfare-as a tribute to his teammates, who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Fast foward to 2008:

Marcus was at a hotel in New York downstairs at the bar talking to a woman. He's wearing cowboy boots, jeans and a T-Shirt with the Flag of Texas on the back. A man comes up and pokes him in the back and asks if he "knows the murdering President is from the state of Texas". Marcus tells the man that's "Your opinion Sir" and continues talking to the woman. The man pokes a second time and asks "If all Texans are Murdering idiots like the President". Marcus turns and tells the man "There's 2 things you don't disrespect, Texas and my mama" and turns to continue talking to the woman. The man pokes him A THIRD TIME and says things Marcus won't repeat about the country, the president and the troops. He pokes a Navy Cross Award Winner and continues to bash America.

Marcus says the next thing he remembered was having his hands around the guy's throat outside the hotel pummelling him. Marcus was arrested and taken to jail.

You go boy................

Now fast forward to I think 4/2/2009.........

On Thursday I believe it was, Wednesday or Thursday about 1:00 a.m., Marcus is a guy who doesn’t sleep anymore at night. He sleeps during the daytime. And about 1:00 he happened to be awake and he heard a gunshot. He lives on a ranch with his mother in Texas. He grabs his gun and he goes outside. There he sees, I believe it was four. It may be three but I believe it was four young men 18 to 24 years old, all of them, where they had just shot his dog. Marcus’ dog is named Dasy. Each letter represents D A S Y represents one of the fallen members of his team. It was given to him in recovery to help him through the recovery process. This dog means everything to Marcus. Marcus had his gun and he took it out and he put it right between the eyes of one of the guys. He was standing away from them, pointed right between the eyes. Now, here’s a SEAL team member who is wildly, he’s just, he is having trouble, man. He is still recovering from his injuries. He had just gotten out of surgery. He’s standing there with a gun between the guy’s eyes. He doesn’t fire. All four and he’s just saying, “You killed my dog.” They executed his dog. “You killed my dog. Why would you do that?” They run. They get into their car. Marcus gets into his truck, chases them over four counties, finally runs them into a ditch. He calls the Rangers. The Texas Rangers arrive and these guys, when the Texas Rangers are taking these guys away, Marcus has held them there by a gun. As the Rangers are taking these guys away, they’re threatening Marcus’ life and saying, “When we get out, we’re coming for you next.

First it was your dog. It’s going to be you next. You don’t know who you’re messin’ with.” That’s when Marcus kind of snapped just a little bit and said to the Ranger, “Excuse me, ranger, do you know who I am?” He said, “Yes, sir, Mr. Luttrell, I do.” He said, “You might want to explain to these punks because I could have killed them 600 different ways and if I wanted to kill you guys after what you would have done what you just did to my dog, I would have pulled you down into my basement and I would have tortured you for days and you wouldn’t have died until you begged me for death. So before you start saying you’re going to come after me, you better learn who you’ve just whose dog you just killed.”

They get into jail. These four punks have been killing dogs in Marcus’ county now for a month, for joys, joy rides and kicks. Tonight Marcus is going to be on television and he’s going to tell the story, and I’m showing the pictures of these dirtbags. And I want you to call PETA, I want you to call every activist you know. I want you to hear the story of a hero whose dog was executed. In all of the times that everybody is saying, oh, guns gotta be taken off the streets, you gun nuts. Here’s a responsible gun owner that with everything he’s gone through, everything that that dog means, these dirtbags come and kill his dog. He could have killed them all. He probably would have enjoyed it, justifiably so and he didn’t because he’s an American hero. Keep him in your prayers.

Just google Marcus Luttrell and you will find his NRA talk and other inspirational links...

Yes Marcus is a hero of the first degree..........

Thanks for reading

Robert
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Seth

Post by Seth »

How can this guy be a hero , When he was only doing his job . People say the same thing about , Police , Firemen etc etc .
What is life ? It is the flash of a firefly beetle in the night . It is the breath of a bull in the wind . It is the little shadow , which runs across the grass and loses itself in the appearance of the setting sun .
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Seth;1175228 wrote: How can this guy be a hero , When he was only doing his job . People say the same thing about , Police , Firemen etc etc .

Where in his job description did it say....

"You will be required to go beyond the call of duty and perhaps even offer yourself as a hostage to armed pirates should the matter arise " :thinking:

Winston Churchill
Seth

Post by Seth »

Snowfire;1175229 wrote: Where in his job description did it say....

"You will be required to go beyond the call of duty and perhaps even offer yourself as a hostage to armed pirates should the matter arise " :thinking:

Sit back and take a deep breath ok your geting too emotional . And tell me where in his job application does it say that he have to do the things you're saying here .
What is life ? It is the flash of a firefly beetle in the night . It is the breath of a bull in the wind . It is the little shadow , which runs across the grass and loses itself in the appearance of the setting sun .
BTS

Post by BTS »

Originally Posted by Seth

How can this guy be a hero , When he was only doing his job . People say the same thing about , Police , Firemen etc etc .

Quote:Snowfire

Where in his job description did it say....

Seth;1175244 wrote: Sit back and take a deep breath ok your geting too emotional . And tell me where in his job application does it say that he have to do the things you're saying here .

hero

n.

One distinguished for action

brave man, model, conqueror, victorious general, god, martyr, champion, paladin, ace, exemplar, prize athlete, master, man of distinguished valor, brave, warrior, demigod, saint, man of courage, man of mettle, lion, star, combatant, worthy, popular figure, great man, knight-errant, a man among men, man of the hour, man of the day, intrepid warrior, fearless soldier, dauntless flier, tin god*; see also celebrity 2, idol 2, victor.

So Seth,

If this guy (as you call him) is not a hero to you that is fine. To some people he is. To me he was an honorable, brave man that did MORE than his job called for and to his crew I am sure a hero.

I am not sure just what your angle is here? What difference does it make if his job said he had to put his life on the line or not...........HE DID just that for others!

So then:

What is a hero and do you have a hero?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Seth;1175228 wrote: How can this guy be a hero , When he was only doing his job . People say the same thing about , Police , Firemen etc etc .

Seth;1175244 wrote: Sit back and take a deep breath ok your geting too emotional . And tell me where in his job application does it say that he have to do the things you're saying here .
:confused:

You seem to be arguing for both sides, Seth.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Dont worry yourself Seth. All emotions under control. Just confused as to what you dont understand about my post

You say he was just doing his job.

I say his job description doesnt require him to offer himself as a hostage.

So he went beyond the call of duty and not simply "doing his job"

Winston Churchill
G-man

Post by G-man »

Only doing his job? Captain Richard Phillips went far above and beyond his duties as a ship's captain. His self-less actions led to this ordeal going without incident, allowed the ship to remain uncaptured as well as it's cargo which was meant to help the needy in Africa, and he volunteered to put himself in harm's way for the safety of his crew. Not only did he save the lives of his crew, but he saved the lives of Africans by allowing the shipment to make it's way to it's destination. What part of that don't you get, Seth? Explain to the rest of us how Captain Phillips is NOT a hero?

I'm not convinced that you overstand what the meaning of hero is, Seth. Do you overstand? :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Come on, kind of a silly debate. Anyone who does something that is seen as brave and selfless is a hero; sure there are different types big and small.

Here is a real debate question about what a hero is, in Somalia, are the pirates that were shot considered heroes??
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

They could be to there villages and families.
Seth

Post by Seth »

If you guys want to make him a hero go ahead , But doing one job doesn't make him and hero . He knew what he was geting into when he took this job .
G-man

Post by G-man »

Seth;1175785 wrote: If you guys want to make him a hero go ahead , But doing one job doesn't make him and hero . He knew what he was geting into when he took this job .

He made himself a hero... nobody else has to.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Seth;1175785 wrote: If you guys want to make him a hero go ahead , But doing one job doesn't make him and hero . He knew what he was geting into when he took this job .
Kinda pussified to send a pm then close out your pms to prevent a reply, so I guess I'll reply here.

:wah: Dangerous? In what way?

BTW, great to have another passionate poster in the Garden. Welcome!

NOTE: The reply was typed before I realized how rude and borderline cowardly Seth is.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Exactly ask his crew they know he is a hero. :yh_flag

[QUOTE]He made himself a hero... nobody else has to.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Seth

Post by Seth »

Accountable;1175791 wrote: Kinda pussified to send a pm then close out your pms to prevent a reply, so I guess I'll reply here.

:wah: Dangerous? In what way?

BTW, great to have another passionate poster in the Garden. Welcome!

NOTE: The reply was typed before I realized how rude and borderline cowardly Seth is.

So your one of those computer bad ass , Face to face bet your nothing more then a punk .
Seth

Post by Seth »

G-man;1175787 wrote: He made himself a hero... nobody else has to.

This is waste of time arguing over nothing .
BTS

Post by BTS »

Seth;1175804 wrote: This is waste of time arguing over nothing .

Wow.............Only 10 post and you have pissed in everyones post toasties, except for maybe mikeini's
BTS

Post by BTS »

Am watching crew get off plane............

WOOOO HOOO

Families are SOOO happy
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Seth;1175802 wrote: So your one of those computer bad ass , Face to face bet your nothing more then a punk .
:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
BTS

Post by BTS »

So your one of those computer bad ass , Face to face bet your nothing more then a punk .

Accountable;1175848 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Damb Acc........... Seths already got you number...........

You "punk":-3you
panzermk2

Post by panzermk2 »

I would still consider Seals Heroes they risk their lives just going through training. They did a HALO jump into the ocean at night.

For not military type folkes HALO stands for,

High Altitude

Low Opening

They have to jump with masks on and air tanks because they are so high up. Then they open their chutes just seconds before hitting the water. Then in the open ocean at night they stripped off their jump gear, got on their swimming gear and all swam to Navy boat.

All this with their combat load of gear including their sniper rifle's.

Robert

I have met Marcus and was at the NRA convention and watched him speak at the dinner. This was the day after that incident at the bar. They did more then just poke him. I would not have been able to hold back as long as he did.

Return to “Societal Issues News”