Tsutsumi Furoshiki

Discuss Arts and Crafts! Painting, sculpture, pottery, craft kits, plans, and ideas! Talk about projects that children can do as well.
tabby

Tsutsumi Furoshiki

Post by tabby »

Have any of you ever tried this? I had never heard of Tsutsumi or Furoshiki until a few months ago when I ran across a small blurb in a magazine. The article gave a brief description and showed a few photo examples. Apparently the Japanese take gift wrapping seriously and have turned it into a creative art form using beautiful fabrics and fancy tied knots. The wrapping & presentation of the gift has great meaning to them. The art of gift wrapping is called tsutsumi and the fabric itself is called furoshiki.

I gave it an amateurish try with a birthday gift but instead of buying fabric, I used a new pink bandana and I have to admit it turned out pretty cute! I was thinking of trying it again for Christmas and using some of the pretty Christmas themed kitchen towels that are so easy to find in most stores during the holidays. I think a linen towel would be easier to fold around a box than a terry cloth one. If you’re a seamstress and have fabric left over from projects, this would be a great way to put them to use!

Here’s one link I found but there are many more if you’re interested:

Japanese Gift-Wrapping and Furoshiki

Return to “Arts Crafts”