Have Any Christmas Ornament Decorating Ideas?

Discuss Arts and Crafts! Painting, sculpture, pottery, craft kits, plans, and ideas! Talk about projects that children can do as well.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I was hoping maybe we could get some ideas going in this thread for cool Cmas tree ornaments and ways we like to decorate and wrap presents.

I'm a big fan of The Crafty Chica (Kathy Cano-Murillo) and was just watching some of her how-to videos.

I've been wanting to make some of these for a long time to hang off my porch but she uses them as tree garlands.

Mirrored Garland

http://videos.lifetimetv.com/?fr_story= ... c7da&rf=bm

This thing is easy as pie! I would recommend using a strong, waterproof glue such as 527 Cement or E-6000.

One of the coolest trees we had was one we decorated with paper ornaments made from gold spray-painted paper doilies and colored craft paper, sequins, glitter (of course glitter!!) old Cmas cards, dried flowers and ribbons. I was worried it would look like kids did it but it didn't; it turned out really elegant. Especially with the tree lights turned on at night.

So do you have any ideas for decorating your tree or your home or for making your own giftwrap, anything Christmas-y?? :)
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

That was neat! :)

I wonder how much thoes little mirrors cost?

I have a Michaels craft store not far away. I might just go see if they have them. Maybe it could be something me and Molly can do together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

My tree is up & decorated with ornaments I've collected for years.

When wrapping & depending who the gift goes to:

I've used a old coursage - hanky, wrap a gift with a scarf

I've used some sewing items - ric rack - large buttons

I Nephews into music - I've used a old 45 record with ribbon threaded thru the record, really looked cool.

I always have some type of ornamental display on the outside of the gift.

Patsy
valerie

Post by valerie »

The mirrored garland is neat... my only thing though is I would like much

longer to drape AROUND the tree instead of just hanging down... bet you

can't do that though 'cause of the weight?

Things that I think look really nice for your tree... for a few years now I

have used something called "Ting Ting", it is a very slender thing with

usually a few curls on the top. Mine are gold but you can get other

colors in craft stores, florists use it in arrangements quite often. Buy

a few bunches and just insert here and there amongst the tree branches.

(Single stalk)

I've also in past years used babies breath, or dried roses. The roses

didn't cost me anything because I dried my own throughout the year.

Makes a nice, softer, maybe more "Victorian" look.

Our tree went up on Saturday, it is drinking about 2-3 liters of water a

day, I'm so glad it will stay fresher.

Also, a tip I heard somewhere long ago, use approx. 100 lights for

every foot of tree. We have a 7 foot Noble fir, and 7 100 light strings.

:void(0)">
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

watermark

Post by watermark »

Hey Rg-

I couldn't download the mirrored video. Too long to download on my computer. The paper ornaments made from cards sounded pretty though. How did you cut, fold them? Origami style?

Here's some ideas for making ornaments with kids,

Some ideas my kids and I have experimented with that turned out pretty. I can't remember where I found the idea for the glass ornament one or I would tell you:

Painted glass ornaments that look like stained glass--

Buy some large clear glass ornaments that have an opening at the top. I got them from a hobby place they come in round large 8" I think and smaller sizes and teardrop (those are plastic and safer for small kids to handle).

Just drip different acrylic colors into the globe, watching where the paint goes sliding down the inside. The paint spreads here and there. When you have enough paint to cover the entire bulb you turn the ornament round and over till all the paint colors have fused together so there are no gaps of clear glass.

Be careful not to mix the paint together (just enough to cover the inside of the glass globe) unless you want that effect. Sometimes the colors can mix to the point of mudiness.

Next turn the ornament upside down to dry, lots of surplus paint will drip out, so find a place that won't damage anything. Placing upside down on the eggcarton packaging the bulbs came in works good.

When done slip a pretty ribbon through the hanger, and hang it up! It's an easy project for kids that ends up looking rather festive and different and definitely not childish :D

Here's the other one:

Embellished tin or punched tin ornaments. This came from an Art in the School lesson-- invented by an ambitious art history person who wanted to bring art to the public classrooms where funding had been cut. (Solely brought to the schools by parent volunteers who had been through a fun training, I might add :).

Find some heavy gauge tin. The kind I'm thinking of is soft and pliable but probably at least 1/16th inch thick maybe thicker. This kind of tin cuts easily with sheers, just determine the shape you want and cut it out. Next have ready a stylus of some sort (even a dulled pencil works for this kind of tin). Then create a design template on paper the size of your ornament. You can create your own or find one you like, symbols of Christmas, etc.. Tape onto your tin piece and start working the tin with the stylus by following your lines, engraving. Once you have your basic design etched in, take the paper off and work the lines deeper into the tin, getting however fussy and intricate you want.

You can also use heavier gaged metals and create a punched tin look where the tree lights shine through, if the ornament is placed strategically in front of one. This is a great project for 3 years on up, with supervision, because they can use a small hammer and nail and follow a very simple design by punching holes in. Kids love this one! Punch a hole at the top, thread a ribbon through and voila!

Erin
watermark

Post by watermark »

valerie;732102 wrote:

:void(0)">

I love Noble firs! They are the best for hanging ornaments on too.

E
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lisa;731712 wrote: That was neat!

I wonder how much thoes little mirrors cost?

I have a Michaels craft store not far away. I might just go see if they have them. Maybe it could be something me and Molly can do together.

They shouldn't be too much, a few dollars a pack but they might have gone up since I last bought any. It would be fun for you and Molly I think!

Patsy Warnick;731857 wrote: My tree is up & decorated with ornaments I've collected for years.

When wrapping & depending who the gift goes to:

I've used a old coursage - hanky, wrap a gift with a scarf

I've used some sewing items - ric rack - large buttons

I Nephews into music - I've used a old 45 record with ribbon threaded thru the record, really looked cool.

I always have some type of ornamental display on the outside of the gift.

Patsy

I like those wrapping ideas, Patsy! Thanks!

valerie;732102 wrote: The mirrored garland is neat... my only thing though is I would like much

longer to drape AROUND the tree instead of just hanging down... bet you

can't do that though 'cause of the weight?

Things that I think look really nice for your tree... for a few years now I

have used something called "Ting Ting", it is a very slender thing with

usually a few curls on the top. Mine are gold but you can get other

colors in craft stores, florists use it in arrangements quite often. Buy

a few bunches and just insert here and there amongst the tree branches.

(Single stalk)

I've also in past years used babies breath, or dried roses. The roses

didn't cost me anything because I dried my own throughout the year.

Makes a nice, softer, maybe more "Victorian" look.

Our tree went up on Saturday, it is drinking about 2-3 liters of water a

day, I'm so glad it will stay fresher.

Val, I think you could drape around the tree. Shouldn't weigh too much. I think I know what that Ting Ting is! I think I bought some for a floral display once. Love the dried flowers idea! I like that victorian look.

watermark;737320 wrote: Hey Rg-

I couldn't download the mirrored video. Too long to download on my computer. The paper ornaments made from cards sounded pretty though. How did you cut, fold them? Origami style?

Here's some ideas for making ornaments with kids,

Some ideas my kids and I have experimented with that turned out pretty. I can't remember where I found the idea for the glass ornament one or I would tell you:

Painted glass ornaments that look like stained glass--

Buy some large clear glass ornaments that have an opening at the top. I got them from a hobby place they come in round large 8" I think and smaller sizes and teardrop (those are plastic and safer for small kids to handle).

Just drip different acrylic colors into the globe, watching where the paint goes sliding down the inside. The paint spreads here and there. When you have enough paint to cover the entire bulb you turn the ornament round and over till all the paint colors have fused together so there are no gaps of clear glass.

Be careful not to mix the paint together (just enough to cover the inside of the glass globe) unless you want that effect. Sometimes the colors can mix to the point of mudiness.

Next turn the ornament upside down to dry, lots of surplus paint will drip out, so find a place that won't damage anything. Placing upside down on the eggcarton packaging the bulbs came in works good.

When done slip a pretty ribbon through the hanger, and hang it up! It's an easy project for kids that ends up looking rather festive and different and definitely not childish

Here's the other one:

Embellished tin or punched tin ornaments. This came from an Art in the School lesson-- invented by an ambitious art history person who wanted to bring art to the public classrooms where funding had been cut. (Solely brought to the schools by parent volunteers who had been through a fun training, I might add :).

Find some heavy gauge tin. The kind I'm thinking of is soft and pliable but probably at least 1/16th inch thick maybe thicker. This kind of tin cuts easily with sheers, just determine the shape you want and cut it out. Next have ready a stylus of some sort (even a dulled pencil works for this kind of tin). Then create a design template on paper the size of your ornament. You can create your own or find one you like, symbols of Christmas, etc.. Tape onto your tin piece and start working the tin with the stylus by following your lines, engraving. Once you have your basic design etched in, take the paper off and work the lines deeper into the tin, getting however fussy and intricate you want.

You can also use heavier gaged metals and create a punched tin look where the tree lights shine through, if the ornament is placed strategically in front of one. This is a great project for 3 years on up, with supervision, because they can use a small hammer and nail and follow a very simple design by punching holes in. Kids love this one! Punch a hole at the top, thread a ribbon through and voila!

Erin

Cool ideas Erin! On the paper ornaments, I would just cut a small snowflake or a heart shape from the card and a large snowflake or heart from some colored construction paper and glue the small heart into the middle. I also bought paper doilies that I spray painted gold and sprinkled glitter on.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Last week while delivering meals, one of the women had the prettiest ornaments. She had taken egg shaped Styrofoam balls, sequins, ribbon, and straight pins and made them. She used the straight pins to attach the sequins, completely covering the Stryofoam. Then she looped a piece of ribbon and secured it with straight pins and used this to hang the ornaments on the tree. She had done hers in purple and silver. Oh it was soo pretty!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Those sound cool! And sparkly! Those would look pretty with tree lights reflecting on them. :)

Return to “Arts Crafts”