Candles

Discuss Arts and Crafts! Painting, sculpture, pottery, craft kits, plans, and ideas! Talk about projects that children can do as well.
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Hi:) are there any candlemakers here? :)
Marie5656

Candles

Post by Marie5656 »

Hello 7. We have several crafters here, so I am sure you will find a candle making buddy here. I know of a good online supplier of candle making supplies if you are interested.
Marie5656

Candles

Post by Marie5656 »

You should be fine, Majenta...you are not selling something, just suggesting another forum.
abbey

Candles

Post by abbey »

7 Pawz;507890 wrote: Hi:) are there any candlemakers here? :)We have a butcher and a baker, not too sure about the candlemaker though. :D
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Marie, yes I would be interested in the candle supplier:) I just spent the day making votives for a gift basket and trying to get things together for a Valentine Day basket that I plan to raffle off.:)
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

abbey;507920 wrote: We have a butcher and a baker, not too sure about the candlemaker though. :D

:) :) :)
Marie5656

Candles

Post by Marie5656 »

7 Pawz;508839 wrote: Marie, yes I would be interested in the candle supplier:) I just spent the day making votives for a gift basket and trying to get things together for a Valentine Day basket that I plan to raffle off.:)

The Place is called Glory Bee Foods. Add a .com to that for thier address. The cool thing is, they have a print catalog you can order. My husband and I have ordered thier essential oils and aromatherapy products, and were pleased with what we got. In fact, we have another order from them due to arrive this week some time.
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

:) Thank you Marie, I know of GloryBee, they are the first supplier that I used when I started candlemaking. You are so right, they have many wonderful products, I also ordered some of their essential oils for my soaps, and I am very pleased. I order from them quite a bit, their customer service is great:)
Delilah

Candles

Post by Delilah »

Hello! I'm just an amateur at it, but I enjoy it. :)

I can never seem to be able to get them to smell enough though..:confused: I nearly poured a whole scent bottle in once just out of frustration but still nothing! lol
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Delilah;509795 wrote: Hello! I'm just an amateur at it, but I enjoy it. :)

I can never seem to be able to get them to smell enough though..:confused: I nearly poured a whole scent bottle in once just out of frustration but still nothing! lol

Don't give up. What I did was buy a book on basic candlemaking, started making something small, like container candle ( 8oz jelly jars). The one thing I didn't do was to buy the scent from michaels or hobby lobby, it's too expensive for what you get and the quality of the oils are not strong enough for me:D

I've been doing this 4 yrs, still learning, I really enjoy it, plus i can make my candles how I like them, experiment with different scents, molds, etc.

Keep trying!:-6
Delilah

Candles

Post by Delilah »

7 Pawz;510128 wrote: Don't give up. What I did was buy a book on basic candlemaking, started making something small, like container candle ( 8oz jelly jars). The one thing I didn't do was to buy the scent from michaels or hobby lobby, it's too expensive for what you get and the quality of the oils are not strong enough for me:D

I've been doing this 4 yrs, still learning, I really enjoy it, plus i can make my candles how I like them, experiment with different scents, molds, etc.

Keep trying!:-6

Yes, I bought it from Michaels! Do you know of anywhere else that you can buy stronger scent from? The ones from Michaels aren't strong enough to me either.

And also..do you know where you can buy different jars to make them in? They didn't have much of a selection there either.
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Delilah: if you want to try some 8 oz jelly jars, you may be able to find them at walmart in their seasonal section. Also, any jar or glass that is heavy or can withstand heat is another choice. Glasses, jars, different shapes you can try later as you get more comfortable with what you are doing. Above all, be safe:)

here are a few places online you can try for scents. If I were you, I'd get sample sizes of the oils so that your not stuck with a large size of oil you might not like.

candlesupply.com ( they also have a candle forum that you may like)

alabastercandlesupply.com ( also have candle containers--I use them a lot)

candlesandsupplies.com

There are many others, just google "candle supplies" it'll bring up a lot of them:)

I buy most all of my supplies online, prices may look expensive, in the long run, they are better quality.

Have fun!
Delilah

Candles

Post by Delilah »

7 Pawz;510914 wrote: Delilah: if you want to try some 8 oz jelly jars, you may be able to find them at walmart in their seasonal section. Also, any jar or glass that is heavy or can withstand heat is another choice. Glasses, jars, different shapes you can try later as you get more comfortable with what you are doing. Above all, be safe:)

here are a few places online you can try for scents. If I were you, I'd get sample sizes of the oils so that your not stuck with a large size of oil you might not like.

candlesupply.com ( they also have a candle forum that you may like)

alabastercandlesupply.com ( also have candle containers--I use them a lot)

candlesandsupplies.com

There are many others, just google "candle supplies" it'll bring up a lot of them:)

I buy most all of my supplies online, prices may look expensive, in the long run, they are better quality.

Have fun!

Thank you so much, Paws! :D

Do you know how thick the glass has to be? I was going to try that one time, just get some purdy ones at somewhere like walmart, but i don't know how thick is thick enough, etc.
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Delilah;510983 wrote: Thank you so much, Paws! :D

Do you know how thick the glass has to be? I was going to try that one time, just get some purdy ones at somewhere like walmart, but i don't know how thick is thick enough, etc.

They need to be fairly heavy, not cumbersom though. Make sure it is not a thin glass, those can't withstand the heat of your wax. DON"T get those dollar store thin glasses, they will not work for you. Just get one glass and try it, if it works, then you got it:-6
Ciao, Bella!

Candles

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I dabble in candlemaking. Mainly, just for my own use.
7 Pawz

Candles

Post by 7 Pawz »

Ciao, Bella!;534582 wrote: I dabble in candlemaking. Mainly, just for my own use.

I do a little of both I do sell to people I know & I have my candles displayed at a animal hospital to help them with an animal shelter, other than that, I 've discovered that if I went into a small business, it'd take up too much time, since I already have a full time job:) and it wouldn't allow me to make and experiment with my candles.:)
Ciao, Bella!

Candles

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I know what you mean.

I don't really have the space to do much right now either.

Return to “Arts Crafts”