The Citizens Band

Home Theater, Car Audio, Audiophile Systems, Tube Systems, and more.
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Do you guys in the US still use Citizens Band Radio? It was very popular here in Ireland in the 1970s, but only truckers use it now. :driving:
Peg

The Citizens Band

Post by Peg »

I used to be a cb addict, then I got a computer. People here still use them, but I don't think they are nearly as popular as they were back in the 70s.
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

tmbsgrl wrote: This has nothing to do with the CB's But i just wanted to tell Capt Buzzard that my mom's fiancee is from Ireland. Co Clare. i believe it is. He wants my Fiancee & i to go there with him and my mom. He brings me pictures all the time from there and they are so beautiful. He says it rains there a lot. All his family is there. He lives in Illinois. He moved there 13 years ago. It never stopps raining here. It keeps the land green :wah: County Clare is in the west of Ireland. www.county-clare.com :driving:
Paula

The Citizens Band

Post by Paula »

Our Land, AIr & sEA Scanner Died about 2 years ago...we had it for about 10 years though. Illegal, you could hear cell phone conversations, pilots flying over the house and other interesting conversations we should have never been able to hear, what a fun scanner that was...the neighbors frequency for televison aired on the scanner too? You could hear every conversation imagineable, from gay lovers to couples fighting...cheating husbands and people committing suicide? I believe i could find one, they are expensive.... :lips:
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Paula wrote: Our Land, AIr & sEA Scanner Died about 2 years ago...we had it for about 10 years though. Illegal, you could hear cell phone conversations, pilots flying over the house and other interesting conversations we should have never been able to hear, what a fun scanner that was...the neighbors frequency for televison aired on the scanner too? You could hear every conversation imagineable, from gay lovers to couples fighting...cheating husbands and people committing suicide? I believe i could find one, they are expensive.... :lips:

Same here :wah: 250 Euro here.
Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

capt_buzzard wrote: Do you guys in the US still use Citizens Band Radio? It was very popular here in Ireland in the 1970s, but only truckers use it now. :driving:
Back in the mid to late 70's I loved it. It went downhill quickly after that. I'm now an amateur radio freak.

One of these days I'll get a photo of my computer desk - and you can see my radio setup.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Tombstone wrote: Back in the mid to late 70's I loved it. It went downhill quickly after that. I'm now an amateur radio freak.

One of these days I'll get a photo of my computer desk - and you can see my radio setup. I have the same, T.
Paula

The Citizens Band

Post by Paula »

I WANT a New One! I will check into that today? I know where to get "underground" fun stuff...don't tell any-now.....quiet.
Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

Paula wrote: I WANT a New One! I will check into that today? I know where to get "underground" fun stuff...don't tell any-now.....quiet.

Paula,

You should look into getting your ham ticket. Instead of trying to talk 4 miles or so through static and having to deal with less than agreeable people, you will have the ability to talk to enthusiasts locally, regionally, nationally, and around the world - consistently. If you like data communication, you can use your computer and operate using psk31, rtty, and other digital modes. Or, you can use the Internet via Echolink or IRLP.

Don't buy the modified CB stuff. The amateur community is helping the FCC crack down on these operators. The truckers, the stores (T/A's, Flying J's, others) are getting fined big time for using and selling these illegal rigs.
ladyinthewood

The Citizens Band

Post by ladyinthewood »

Hiya, Capt_Buzzard, thanks for the invite!

I'm a General Class ham radio operator working on obtaining my Extra Class license. Tomorrow our ham radio club is holding its annual "HamFest" which my hubby and I will both be working. He's an Extra Class operator. I'm the Secretary and Newsletter Editor of our ham radio club and he is on the Board of Directors (as am I, as an officer). If any of you think you might enjoy talking to people all over the world, then definitely consider getting your ham radio license as that would be the best way to go. My first "DX" contact when I was a brand new "General Class" was with Ireland on St. Patrick's day...two separate contacts! How much more appropriate can you get? LOL!
Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

ladyinthewood wrote: Hiya, Capt_Buzzard, thanks for the invite!

I'm a General Class ham radio operator working on obtaining my Extra Class license. Tomorrow our ham radio club is holding its annual "HamFest" which my hubby and I will both be working. He's an Extra Class operator. I'm the Secretary and Newsletter Editor of our ham radio club and he is on the Board of Directors (as am I, as an officer). If any of you think you might enjoy talking to people all over the world, then definitely consider getting your ham radio license as that would be the best way to go. My first "DX" contact when I was a brand new "General Class" was with Ireland on St. Patrick's day...two separate contacts! How much more appropriate can you get? LOL!

Welcome ladyinthewood! Glad to have you at FG - and great to see a fellow ham!
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Well a Big Hello to you Lady in the wood. Nice to see you here. I have to say this, but Forum Garden is the best. And I am delighted to Welcome you. :guitarist :guitarist :guitarist
ladyinthewood

The Citizens Band

Post by ladyinthewood »

Thanks for the welcomes! Tombstone, what class ham operator are you? And, how long have you been a ham? I've been a ham operator for about 5 or so years now. Living in the forest, cell phones don't work well and walkie-talkies only go just so far. But, with my HT radio I can talk into several counties on 2-meters. Very helpful during emergencies!
Paula

The Citizens Band

Post by Paula »

Tombstone wrote: Paula,

You should look into getting your ham ticket. Instead of trying to talk 4 miles or so through static and having to deal with less than agreeable people, you will have the ability to talk to enthusiasts locally, regionally, nationally, and around the world - consistently. If you like data communication, you can use your computer and operate using psk31, rtty, and other digital modes. Or, you can use the Internet via Echolink or IRLP.

Don't buy the modified CB stuff. The amateur community is helping the FCC crack down on these operators. The truckers, the stores (T/A's, Flying J's, others) are getting fined big time for using and selling these illegal rigs.

I am A Ham enough the way i am...i am not handicapped, so i need not at the moment be so involved in Hamming it Up! I listen to it as company as i do office work, i'm only 48 and not 75? Okay, thanks but NO thanks, i am reporting you right now...
Hawke

The Citizens Band

Post by Hawke »

CQ...CQ...CQDX...CQDX...

I did a lot of CB-related stuff as a kid, but I gave up on it as cell phones became more and more popular. In America, the CB has just about gone the way of the Dodo. My old rig, which picked up a lot of conversations, now barely pulls in anything at all (save for a certain Alabaman with a humongous transmitter that dominates channel 6).

Citizen's Band is out, now replaced by IRC, IM, email and cellphones.
Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

ladyinthewood wrote: Thanks for the welcomes! Tombstone, what class ham operator are you? And, how long have you been a ham? I've been a ham operator for about 5 or so years now. Living in the forest, cell phones don't work well and walkie-talkies only go just so far. But, with my HT radio I can talk into several counties on 2-meters. Very helpful during emergencies!

Hi ladyinthewood,

General class. Been a ham since about 1987. We are in a similar situation about the forests and nary a cell phone signal!
Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

Fyrehawke wrote: CQ...CQ...CQDX...CQDX...

Citizen's Band is out, now replaced by IRC, IM, email and cellphones.

And it's had a big impact on the amateur radio operator numbers in the U.S. (negative.) We are seeing an upswing again since the newcomers like the new digital modes, the use of the Internet for voice bridges, and all the other cool toys you can play with.
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Take a peep, Irish Radio Hams, www.irts.ie/euradio

Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

And for all the Americans who might be interested, be sure to check out the ARRL:

http://www.remote.arrl.org/

And if you want to play with some pretty good radios and antennas via your computer - check out:

http://www.dxtuners.com/
capt_buzzard

The Citizens Band

Post by capt_buzzard »

Tombstone wrote: And for all the Americans who might be interersted, be sure to check out the ARRL:

http://www.remote.arrl.org/

And if you want to play with some pretty good radios and antennas via your computer - check out:

http://www.dxtuners.com/Ireland

www.irts.ie/

Tombstone

The Citizens Band

Post by Tombstone »

God Bless The Irish!

Return to “Home and Car Audio”