A return to war

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

The Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern was told this week that Sinn Fein IRA was willing to return to the bombings and shootings in Ireland and Britain to force Britain and Ireland to except their plans for a United Ireland. Irish Independent www.unison.ie/
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

I'm curious, what do the southern irish really think about this? Do they support the inification of ireland or are they happy just to let the North stew in their own juice. I can't ever see any northern protestant wanting to be part of a catholic state, on the other hand I could see them eventually letting live and let live with the North continuing on its own as part of the UK. I don't think the IRA would have got anywhere at partition had they won the civil war as feelings were stronger then than they are now.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

GMC, I'm glad that you brought this up. First 75% of the Southern Irish people do not support Sinn Fein IRA, nor do wish to see a United Ireland. They see Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom. The three main political parties are www.finegael.com www.labour.ie and www.fiannafail.ie and www.greenparty.ie

Bertie Ahern, the Irish Prime Minister launched a powerful attack on Sinn Fein IRA during a debate in government buildings on Thursday 27th 2005, He said that nationalist republicans had the power to turn the level of violence up or down to suit their own political aims. That Sinn Fein claimed that there was a Peace, when they are also seen to carry on with shootings and attacks in Northern Ireland.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Report on the state of the paramilitary ceasefires and on who was behind the Northern Bank raid is set to be published this week. The Taoiseach - Irish Prime Minister today meets with the International Monitoring Commission amid an increasing likelihood that the IMC is about to issue an interm report that will make gloomy reading for the British and Irish governments.

It is expected not only to once more lay the blame for the 38m euro bank raid at the door of the Provisional IRA, but also to catalogue a lengthy list of punishment beatings and shootings carried out by the IRA since the so called ceasefire.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

The IRA last night dramatically pulled the plug on the peace process in Ireland, but stopped short of declaring a return to full-scale violence.

They withdrew future cooperation on disarmament and has said the scheme to put all of its weapons completely and verifiably beyond use was no longer on the table.They claimed that the British and Irish governments had withdrawn their comitments and obligations.

I wonder what President Bush says here re his War On Terrorism

Attached files
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

Interesting thumbnails I notice they don't support Al queda, because they are catholic do you think? and the likes of the PLO are political rather than religious freedom fighters. or maybe even noraid couldn't stomach that one. I think the terrorism has become it's own end now in Northern Ireland.

The IRA seem to have better artists than the UDA maybe the protestant religon, or at least the presbyterian variety encourages a poverty of spirit that frowns upon artistic expression.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: Interesting thumbnails I notice they don't support Al queda, because they are catholic do you think? and the likes of the PLO are political rather than religious freedom fighters. or maybe even noraid couldn't stomach that one. I think the terrorism has become it's own end now in Northern Ireland.

The IRA seem to have better artists than the UDA maybe the protestant religon, or at least the presbyterian variety encourages a poverty of spirit that frowns upon artistic expression.Let us all hope so as regards to terrorism in Ulster. All guns in Northern Ireland should be handed over to a joint Garda/PSNI operation.Its an Irish problem.
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

I am an inveterate viewer of the history channel, was just watching one about the glorious revolution and the battle of the Boyne. Hard to believe people still go on about it, it ended with Ian Paisley we shall never surrender. Interesting question though, which side would you have wanted to win if you were around at the time. Hard to think without a 21st centiry perspective on it.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: I am an inveterate viewer of the history channel, was just watching one about the glorious revolution and the battle of the Boyne. Hard to believe people still go on about it, it ended with Ian Paisley we shall never surrender. Interesting question though, which side would you have wanted to win if you were around at the time. Hard to think without a 21st centiry perspective on it.And they go on and on about the 1916 Irish Revolution as it was yesterday here, but the 1916 leaders were gentlemen compared to what's running about today.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

Murals to mark the troubles in Northern Ireland from 1969 to 1990s

Attached files
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

posted by cap'n buzzard

And they go on and on about the 1916 Irish Revolution as it was yesterday here, but the 1916 leaders were gentlemen compared to what's running about today.

capt_buzzard is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

I have seen it suggested that support for independence was lukewarm until the British executed those they captured and turned them in to martyrs. Bit dubious myself what do you reckon?
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by cap'n buzzard

I have seen it suggested that support for independence was lukewarm until the British executed those they captured and turned them in to martyrs. Bit dubious myself what do you reckon?The real Irish Republican Revolution was in 1798.
Bill Sikes

A return to war

Post by Bill Sikes »

capt_buzzard wrote: A Report on the state of the paramilitary ceasefires and on who was behind the Northern Bank raid is set to be published this week. The Taoiseach - Irish Prime Minister today meets with the International Monitoring Commission amid an increasing likelihood that the IMC is about to issue an interm report that will make gloomy reading for the British and Irish governments.

It is expected not only to once more lay the blame for the 38m euro bank raid at the door of the Provisional IRA, but also to catalogue a lengthy list of punishment beatings and shootings carried out by the IRA since the so called ceasefire.

It goes a bit further than that, even - "Senior Sinn Fein members were involved in sanctioning robberies including the Northern Bank raid, the Independent Monitoring Commission has said".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4253627.stm

It added: "Although we note Sinn Fein has said it is opposed to criminality of any kind, it appears at times to have its own definition of what constitutes a crime."

The commission said it would have recommended the party's exclusion from office if the assembly was still sitting.

(from above URL).

How can things progress with this sort of stuff going on?
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

posted by cap'n buzzard

The real Irish Republican Revolution was in 1798.

If only religon could have been kept out of it. Cause or consequence?

http://www.cruithni.org.uk/feature/rebellion1798.html

The Orange Order was formed in 1795, after the Battle of the Diamond. The Defenders and the Orange Order brought increased religious tension as they spread though other counties. Many Catholic weavers in Co. Antrim were forced to leave their homes, being told to "betake themselves to hell or Connaught". In April 1798, Camdem wrote that:

The most alarming feature of the movement is the appearance of the present contest becoming a religious one.

In fact, the picture which emerges is a confusing one. There were several groups involved in the rebellion, and several others opposing it. The objectives of the rebels ranged from those who wanted a republic, those who wanted reform, and those who appear to have been most concerned about economic grievances.

I'm ashamed to admit I had to go and look it up.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

I have seen it suggested that support for independence was lukewarm until the British executed those they captured and turned them in to martyrs. Bit dubious myself what do you reckon?Much the same mate. Martyrs? There are no martyrs.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: Interesting thumbnails I notice they don't support Al queda, because they are catholic do you think? and the likes of the PLO are political rather than religious freedom fighters. or maybe even noraid couldn't stomach that one. I think the terrorism has become it's own end now in Northern Ireland.

The IRA seem to have better artists than the UDA maybe the protestant religon, or at least the presbyterian variety encourages a poverty of spirit that frowns upon artistic expression.Oh Come on now gmc, don't ye know that Sinn Fein IRA support other terrorists around the world including the PLO, HAMAS and the BASQUE ETA
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bill Sikes wrote: It goes a bit further than that, even - "Senior Sinn Fein members were involved in sanctioning robberies including the Northern Bank raid, the Independent Monitoring Commission has said".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4253627.stm

It added: "Although we note Sinn Fein has said it is opposed to criminality of any kind, it appears at times to have its own definition of what constitutes a crime."

The commission said it would have recommended the party's exclusion from office if the assembly was still sitting.

(from above URL).

How can things progress with this sort of stuff going on?The are just Nazi thugs
gmc

A return to war

Post by gmc »

I see they are now claiming the McCartney sisters are being used and manipulated to discredit the republican movement. Matt McGuinness has stated he wasn't threatening them when he told them to stay out of politics but giving them friendly advice. Bit hard to understand how the IRA killing their brother somehow becomes manipulation by the British establishment to discredit the republican movement.

There is also suggestion that the IRA terrorists may start another campaign in the UK

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 75,00.html

Not to worry though, George Clarke can lock up all suspected terrorists and keep us safe and once we get our ID cards they will have no chance.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: I see they are now claiming the McCartney sisters are being used and manipulated to discredit the republican movement. Matt McGuinness has stated he wasn't threatening them when he told them to stay out of politics but giving them friendly advice. Bit hard to understand how the IRA killing their brother somehow becomes manipulation by the British establishment to discredit the republican movement.

There is also suggestion that the IRA terrorists may start another campaign in the UK

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 75,00.html

Not to worry though, George Clarke can lock up all suspected terrorists and keep us safe and once we get our ID cards they will have no chance.And it goes on and on. Whatever will they think of next.
capt_buzzard

A return to war

Post by capt_buzzard »

T

If only religon could have been kept out of it. Cause or consequence?

http://www.cruithni.org.uk/feature/rebellion1798.html

I'm ashamed to admit I had to go and look it up.I have always said that about Religion in Ireland.Its bad for ones health

Return to “Ireland”