Thanksgiving

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
cars

Thanksgiving

Post by cars »

Idgie;1047854 wrote: Unlike some holidays, when people traditionally go out somewhere to celebrate, Thanksgiving is most commonly celebrated at home, with family and friends. This is one of the things I like best about Thanksgiving—I get to share wonderful traditions and relaxed times with my family.

Three weeks from today, we will be celebrating this holiday on the 27th. One of the most common traditions of Thanksgiving Day celebrations is the giving of thanks. Also, many people have special ways of celebrating this holiday, by the meals they prepare, memories that they share and showing acts of kindness.

Feel free to post here what you do to celebrate this holiday-recipes, poems, share a memory or two or something funny that might have happened during a family gathering or what you are thankful for. :)

Thanksgiving quotation by Theodore Roosevelt:

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."
Exactally right, "Tradition" is the key word, that's what keeps families & good friends together, and remain close! The times when we all get together & enjoy each other's company, & reflect on everything we have to be Thankfull for!

Tradidionally, we have always had Thanksgiving Dinner at our house, for over 30 years for our family & good friends. There used to be 28 to 33 or more people, it was great. Over the years that number has dwindled somewhat, by a few who now have Thanksgiving Dinner in Heaven! They are still with us there in spirit, as we mention their names when we say grace. There's always way way too much of everything, so everyone gets to take home a bag of leftovers! So all are happy, & we don't have to eat turkey, & ham, & lasagnia, for the next five days!
Cars :)
qsducks

Thanksgiving

Post by qsducks »

My first baby was born on Thanksgiving Day and has no choice on what to have for dinner when her birthday rolls around on that day:wah:. This year, my hubs & I are cooking our bird together. Got a really good recipe off Yankee magazine's website.
Oscar Namechange

Thanksgiving

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I suppose Ham and pork's off the menu now you've got a muslim President Elect??????:(
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Thanksgiving

Post by Odie »

wishing all my US friends a Happy Thanksgiving, tis all about family!:-4
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

Thanksgiving

Post by Odie »

Idgie;1048793 wrote: Yes, it sure is Odie and Thank you for the wishes! :-6

p.s. love your turkey!:wah:
Life is just to short for drama.
Mustang

Thanksgiving

Post by Mustang »

Something funny I received in email the other day..... :D

Things You Can Only Say On Thanksgiving

01. Talk about a huge breast!

02. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.

03. It's Cool Whip time!

04. If I don't undo my pants, I'll burst!

05. That's one terrific spread!

06. Are you ready for seconds yet?

07. It's a little dry, do you still want to eat it?

08. Just wait your turn, you'll get some!

09. Don't play with your meat.

10. Just spread the legs open and stuff it in.

11. Do you think you'll be able to handle all these people at once?

12. I didn't expect everyone to come at once!

13. You still have a little bit on your chin.

14. How long will it take after you stick it in?

15. You'll know it's ready when it pops up.

16. Wow, I didn't think I could handle all of that!

17. That's the biggest one I've ever seen!

:wah:
chonsigirl

Thanksgiving

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Oh Mustang!

My husband likes you strutting turkey, he laughed as he went by in the wheelchair laughing at it. Now he will think of turkey for days!
Kindle

Thanksgiving

Post by Kindle »

Ah, Thanksgiving Day. In our family it has changed a great deal over the years.

When I was little and because both my parents had no siblings, Thanksgiving was always celebrated at my paternal grandparents (Easter was at my maternal grandparents and Christmas was a our house). This was a very relaxed and happy time and we all got to take home leftovers.

After I got married and before we had children, we would fly to Las Vegas or Florida to visit family and would go out to eat. This was wonderful, except there were no leftovers and I missed the snow. Spending Thanksgiving in a pool outside and cruising the Intercoastal waterways took an adjustment on my part.

When we were in town for the holiday, we tried to please both side of the family and were exhausted in our attempt. One year we had two dinners and two more 'stops' just for dessert. This was just way too much food to try and eat and we didn't want any fo the leftovers we were offered.

After our children ventured forth on their own, we started going out of state again for this holiday (we drove) to celebrate it with one of my husband's sister and her family. This was fun, entertaining, very relaxing for me, and we stayed over at the house that had the leftovers the next day. The only downer is the long, long drive there and back.

Last year we were home and invited the girls and their family to share our turkey feast. We stayed home because hubby just didn't want to do the long drive. We all enjoyed this and I was able to share the leftovers and still have some for us.

This year, hubby hasn't yet decide whether he'll do the drive or wants to stay home................ I need to know soon so that I can make invites to our girls if we are going to be home.

No matter where we have been, we have always shared what we were thankful for. It is good to let the children know about the the things you value and care about.

In putting this all down, I am realizing that the roles have really changed since I was a child. I am now the elder who provides the basis for the traditions which will be remembered by our girls and their offspring. How neat is that! :)

I'm sort of hoping to be home this year. My plan for this year will be to have a breakfast brunch around 10:30 and the turkey dinner around 3. The eldest daughter would be at our house and the younger daughter and her family live close enough to come for breckfast if they choose and either stay or go home and then return for dinner.

It is wonderful having family and friends to share a meal with whether it is a holdiay or just Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope everyone has people in their lives which will make this day a happy and fun filled day.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Peg

Thanksgiving

Post by Peg »

We're having our first Thanksgiving meal on the 22nd. It'll be at my niece's house with my other nieces, their husbands, my sisters, and my great nephew. Thanksgiving Day I will cook a dinner for the four of us.
Accountable

Thanksgiving

Post by Accountable »

My siblings and I are getting together for Thanksgiving this year. If everyone shows up it will be the first time all five of us have been together since 1974! :eek:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/home- ... post171547

(Post #2)
southern yankee

Thanksgiving

Post by southern yankee »

Idgie;1047854 wrote: Unlike some holidays, when people traditionally go out somewhere to celebrate, Thanksgiving is most commonly celebrated at home, with family and friends. This is one of the things I like best about Thanksgiving—I get to share wonderful traditions and relaxed times with my family.

Three weeks from today, we will be celebrating this holiday on the 27th. One of the most common traditions of Thanksgiving Day celebrations is the giving of thanks. Also, many people have special ways of celebrating this holiday, by the meals they prepare, memories that they share and showing acts of kindness.

Feel free to post here what you do to celebrate this holiday-recipes, poems, share a memory or two or something funny that might have happened during a family gathering or what you are thankful for. :)

Thanksgiving quotation by Theodore Roosevelt:

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds." i was a little girl. well grandma and mom had been cooking almost all day for this SPECIAL day. My Dog Brenda (a Boxer) thought it was a SPECIAL DAY too. As She helped herself to the turkey. I don't remember it to well. But my dad said from the kitchen they could hear me JUST a laughing and CHEERING. Coming to see what was going on. Brenda was on the Table just enjoying every BITE. I think we both got PUNISHED:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::wah::wah:
sunny104

Thanksgiving

Post by sunny104 »

I don't know whether to cook on Thanksgiving or go out to eat.

I kinda want to use all that time off to finish tiling the house and then just go out to eat. :o
southern yankee

Thanksgiving

sunny104;1055169 wrote: I don't know whether to cook on Thanksgiving or go out to eat.

I kinda want to use all that time off to finish tiling the house and then just go out to eat. :o you know if i could get away with it. i would do the same. But hubby won't hear of anything like that. All those dishes!! I am the dishwasher:mad: Bah Humbug:yh_rotfl
southern yankee

Thanksgiving

Idgie;1055184 wrote: :yh_rotfl OMG Southern Yankee! :wah:

Happy Turkey Day to you and your family! :-6 I am sure Brenda will here. in Spirit:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
southern yankee

Thanksgiving

Idgie;1055194 wrote: :wah: Memories! :D ;)

I remember my sister making her first turkey dinner and inviting the whole family. She forgot to take the gizzard package out of the inside and stuffed the bird anyway. :p What a surprise! :D Live and learn! :-6
My daughter's first thanksgiving dinner. OMG!! poor girl. I think she was about 22. Well it was interesting:yh_rotfl After we left her grandpa and i grabbed a burger. Poor child:yh_rotfl Don't worry we did not let on. But her cooking is improving:)
sunny104

Thanksgiving

Post by sunny104 »

southern yankee;1055181 wrote: you know if i could get away with it. i would do the same. But hubby won't hear of anything like that. All those dishes!! I am the dishwasher:mad: Bah Humbug:yh_rotfl

offer to do a project around the house with him! :yh_whistl :wah:

Idgie;1055188 wrote: We went out to eat one year and was so disappointed to come home to no leftovers. Never did that again.

Sunny, what does "tiling the house" mean? :thinking:

However you decide to celebrate, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! :-6

I guess I should've wrote tiling the floor not the house.....:o

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :-6
southern yankee

Thanksgiving

sunny104;1055210 wrote: offer to do a project around the house with him! :yh_whistl :wah:

I guess I should've wrote tiling the floor not the house.....:o

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :-6 PROJECT?? His Hunny do list is miles long NOW!!:yh_rotfl

Return to “Holidays”