FG UK Meet 2008

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Experience shows that the problem with arranging an FG meet is that there's so much hesitancy about when and where. This one's different. This post announces the ten week countdown to the FG UK Meet 2008. You'll need:
  • A sleeping bag and toothbrushTransport to and from the Cropredy Music FestivalThe afternoon onward of Thursday 7, all of Friday 8 and Saturday 9 August 2008 and Sunday morning to pack up and head homeward.If you bring a tent too then that helps but there's a few spare tents around, don't let that stop you.

The venue is easily reached by road (M40 J11) or train (Banbury and the laid-on festival bus).

ForumGarden promises good weather.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chrisb84uk

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hey this is a good idea Spot and Banbury isn't too far for me. I'll have to see over the next few weeks about it though, but sounds like fun to me! :guitarist
sunny104

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by sunny104 »

I want to go too!

*pout*
weeder

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by weeder »

Would we still fly into heathrow? And then how far from the airport is the meeting place?
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
chrisb84uk

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well you can always get booking tickets for then Sunny still a while away yet, would love to see you and loads of others there! :-6
sunny104

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by sunny104 »

I would love to and it'd be great to spend some time in England again! :-6
chrisb84uk

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by chrisb84uk »

weeder;877974 wrote: Would we still fly into heathrow? And then how far from the airport is the meeting place?

Well Banbury is still a while away from London so you would have to do quite a bit more travel than just into central London. I would guess that if you arrive at Heathrow that you should be able to get a train (at a guess half an hour maybe 45 minutes) from there up North. I don't know whether it would be easier trying to find a closer airport and go from there, I'm sure Spot would be more knowledgable there though.
chrisb84uk

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by chrisb84uk »

sunny104;877979 wrote: I would love to and it'd be great to spend some time in England again! :-6

Fingers crossed then, and let's all hope the weather stays nice, as especially for a festival it would kinda be a shame if it rained! :-6
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Heathrow runs a frequent rail link coach to Reading which has a direct train to Banbury, it sounds like a 3 hour trip including connection times but there's no carrying cases across towns or anything.

Is the lure of a three-day English folk rock festival really enticing? I did hope it would be. There'll be 20,000 people turning up and I've seen the welcome they give Americans who make the trip to be there, it's wonderful.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
sunny104

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by sunny104 »

I used to go to the blues fest in Chicago every summer, that was so much fun!

you could get high just breathing the air.....um, sorry....off topic. :yh_whistl
weeder

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by weeder »

spot;878126 wrote: Heathrow runs a frequent rail link coach to Reading which has a direct train to Banbury, it sounds like a 3 hour trip including connection times but there's no carrying cases across towns or anything.

Is the lure of a three-day English folk rock festival really enticing? I did hope it would be. There'll be 20,000 people turning up and I've seen the welcome they give Americans who make the trip to be there, it's wonderful.

Ive learned how to travel VERY LIGHT... since that trip.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

weeder;878161 wrote: Ive learned how to travel VERY LIGHT... since that trip.

Here's your chance to show what you've learned!
littlemissgiggle

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by littlemissgiggle »

would we purchase the festivel tickets when we get there or before hand?

i am very up for it.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

littlemissgiggle;878181 wrote: would we purchase the festivel tickets when we get there or before hand?

i am very up for it.

It's likely to sell out before August starts - it did last year, for example. I've bought mine online already.
weeder

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by weeder »

spot;878172 wrote: Here's your chance to show what you've learned!

I already checked British Airways... Id love to go, but right now the ticket is about 1,100.00 round trip. Ill play around with it a bit this weekend. How much are the festival tickets?
minks

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by minks »

weeder;878161 wrote: Ive learned how to travel VERY LIGHT... since that trip.

OMG I have tears of laughter in my eyes girl hehehehehe

Dang it you people this meet up place is nowhere near darn Canada...
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

weeder;878237 wrote: I already checked British Airways... Id love to go, but right now the ticket is about 1,100.00 round trip. Ill play around with it a bit this weekend. How much are the festival tickets?

I'm not convinced British Airways are as cheap as it gets - what would Virgin charge, in contrast?

The 3-day festival ticket's around US$180.

If we can find 200 US members over the next week we can charter an airliner.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

We're down to eight weeks, if anyone from abroad is going to show up then they need to be looking for their flights soon before the prices shift upward in the final month or so. I do appreciate that currency costs make it harder than it used to be.
buttercup

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by buttercup »

My wedding is 8/8/08 but i'll be looking forward to the photo's of you all at the festival :-4
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Do you fancy stopping over on the Saturday then Buttercup? Just to show who's boss?
buttercup

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by buttercup »

:wah:
pinkchick

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by pinkchick »

spot;877857 wrote: Experience shows that the problem with arranging an FG meet is that there's so much hesitancy about when and where. This one's different. This post announces the ten week countdown to the FG UK Meet 2008. You'll need:
  • A sleeping bag and toothbrushTransport to and from the Cropredy Music FestivalThe afternoon onward of Thursday 7, all of Friday 8 and Saturday 9 August 2008 and Sunday morning to pack up and head homeward.If you bring a tent too then that helps but there's a few spare tents around, don't let that stop you.

The venue is easily reached by road (M40 J11) or train (Banbury and the laid-on festival bus).

ForumGarden promises good weather.

For one reason or another, I totally missed this thread!

I would love to attend but a nasty doctor will be sticking a rather large needle in my spine on the 8th! :(:(

Have a few drinkies for me please :-6:D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

pinkchick;886451 wrote: I would love to attend but a nasty doctor will be sticking a rather large needle in my spine on the 8th! :(:(We could relocate the meet so long as we can help. I've lots of large needles and everyone else can bring at least one. Who needs doctors?
pinkchick

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by pinkchick »

spot;886464 wrote: We could relocate the meet so long as we can help. I've lots of large needles and everyone else can bring at least one. Who needs doctors?
Ooooooohhhhh..... tempting!

I only need one needle (thank heaven)

There is room for about 3 tents in my garden

Any idea where we could put the musicians?
Very nearly perfect ... :D
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

I seem to be the first to write up the 2008 FG UK gathering, I hope there'll be more reports to the thread but here's mine to start it off. Ladies and gentlemen, I take particular delight in announcing that the Third FG UK meet was a resounding success. The weather, admittedly, had a few drizzly moments but the sun came out, the field was awash with music and the mud didn't really bother us at all.

I was there by two on Thursday in good time to pitch close to the low level ticket exchange, not a bad part of the campsite since it was flat, fifty yards from a beer tent and close to the performance field entrance. The Cropredy Festival only runs to a single stage - a definite asset, that. There's six hours' on stage for the first day, then twelve for the next two, that's twenty four hours' performance time in three days once you take out the set changes which average twenty minutes. I'm not sure I can stay on my feet longer than that.

Thursday began with this year's Fairport Tour warm-up chap, Anthony John Clarke, an Irish fellow with a couple of women to help him out instrumentally because he can only play the guitar. He'd compered last year and played a bit, he was a lot more engaged this time with a solid set to get through and he did a grand job. The keyboard player was - I hope I got this right - Elizabeth van de Waal (who's a head teacher during the week) and the violinist was Rachel Hall and they were both well up to it. Dave Pegg, the Fairport bass guitarist, was out in the field to enjoy the set and Anthony John was there on the rail for Peggy's on Friday, both of them having a great time chatting to their neighbours. It's one of the things about Cropredy, the players mixing with everyone on the field so readily.

I hadn't managed to find any other FGers by the time John Tams and Barry Coope came on so I got another 6X (a very palatable pint it was too, as were they all) without them and went back to the rail for their hour and a bit. In all these years of seeing people perform I'd never, somehow, managed to see John Tams before. He's totally engaging, utterly political and the further into the set he got the more he pruned down to essentials. First the harmonica went, then the guitar went, he ran the last half hour singing with Mr Coope's keyboard getting further into the background. I suspect none of that's true, I suspect that what happened was me getting drawn further into the songs as the set progressed and it was a matter of focus. I honestly couldn't join in with any of the audience participation bits, I was closer to crying than singing even on something as simple as Rolling Home[1]. Steelos worked beautifully alongside Lucifer and Vulcan but it was the war songs that got into everyone's throat.

For some reason Thursday finished with a high-school boy-band calling themselves Supergrass who appear to have written four songs and stretched them out into nine, goodness knows how they managed to get booked.

[1] That Youtube clip's actually Status Quo's version rather than John Tams'. Youtube doesn't have John Tams doing it and the Quo video's seriously disturbing even though it's over 20 years old. They'd never get away with that these days. Status Quo weren't at Cropredy.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

jimbo;954075 wrote: who went to the meet up any photo's :-3:-3:D

You want photos?? Yes I've photos, I'll try posting them.

I'm not totally sure who of the rest of FG turned up, we never did get to find each other.
Kathy Ellen

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Sounds wonderful Spot:-6. Did you meet up any FG'ers at all. Did anyone else say they were going??
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;954078 wrote: Sounds wonderful Spot:-6. Did you meet up any FG'ers at all. Did anyone else say they were going??

Well... no, not exactly. Not as such. Not as firm as "I'm going", but I'm sure there were quite a few. They'll add to the thread in a bit I expect.
Kathy Ellen

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;954079 wrote: Well... no, not exactly. Not as such. Not as firm as "I'm going", but I'm sure there were quite a few. They'll add to the thread in a bit I expect.

:wah::wah:
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Here's Barry Coope and John Tams

and the general look of the field itself

Elizabeth van de Waal, Anthony John Clarke, Rachel Hall

Dave Pegg enjoying the set

and here's the chap in front of me - I like the "All sales final" bit.

Kathy Ellen

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Beautiful pictures Spot. Thanks for posting them. Your pictures are so clear:-6
G-man

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by G-man »

:wah:

Great photos, Spot! :D

I felt compelled to bump the rating above the average three stars that it had, btw... plus I got my extra $1. :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Friday had a touch of drizzle but the sun came out for most of the afternoon. I considered getting Whispering Bob to make a FG announcement to get us all to the beer tent at the same moment but decided we'd all find each other eventually and settled near the rail to hear Family Mahone start the day properly. They're a strange bunch, a pub band that sort of grew on account of being so exciting. They're from Manchester if I remember right - they've been before and I'm recalling stuff they said years back. They'd be an Irish family group if they were Irish or if they were related, every song's a drinking song and they have the right rough feel to what they do. They turned up this year missing their bass guitarist so they borrowed whoever was to hand, Peggy to start with and Maart for the rest of the session which is why my photo of them has Maart in it - the Mahones are natural camouflage for him, he fitted right in. The singer, DJ Mahone, has a drumset out in front and does most of the talking, I've not seen that tried before and it's effective, they have good material and they put it over perfectly. I enjoy their sets a lot.

Family Mahone and Maart Alcock

PJ Wright and Peggy came on in matching Hawaiian shirts for the next set and had the sun out within five minutes, they're this year's Sunshine Boys. They had Steve Gibbons on stage for a while to add harmonica and sing, he's one of the reasons Birmingham isn't a cultural desert. They had a song toward the end written by Mark Knopfler, Donegan's Gone, which brought back the last festival Lonnie ever played. Same field, same crowd, same response, huge emotional reaction from anyone who had seen that final performance, it was a cracker.

PJ Wright, Dave Pegg

Whoever wins the Radio 2 Young Folk Musician award always gets a slot, Siobhan Miller and Jeana Leslie were this year's and they did great, it's a joy to see people that full of talent and verve mid-afternoon and they had the crowd behind them all the way through, they're what folk is all about. Stackridge followed them. Stackridge aren't teenagers. Stackridge were the first act at the first Glastonbury. Stackridge are my all-time idols. "Meet me where the pampas grass will touch the sky and llamas fly above the blue lagoon". Any time lads, whatever you play I'll hum along to. Mutter plays the flute and clacks his maracas when the mood takes him, he sings too. James Warren is a perfectionist on guitar, the group appears to have bred a couple of wow-fiddle-players, the whole group's playing as well as I've ever heard them, they were a joy to watch. I've seen them play to bemused pensioners in small rooms before and get them on their feet calling for encores. Getting them in front of a crowd as good as Cropredy's is a bonus, everyone rises to it. If Friday to this point had been the whole of Cropredy it'd have been a great year.

James Warren and Mutter

Instead of which it just kept building. Joe Brown had a set and Joe Brown is simply the most loved English singer still out there, every time I see him he's found something more. He's got fifty years to trawl through and everything he brings back to life shines. This year he had the good fortune to have Dave Edmunds to work with and between them they touch a lot of style, we heard a string of hits we didn't even realize we'd forgotten. The field has all ages scattered around, the idea that the children up by the rail were dancing to original material from the fifties from the guy who first recorded it pleases me no end.

Joe Brown

The last set of the day was The Levellers, putting as much energy into it as I've seen anyone manage and the crowd lapped it up. Nobody stays punk for twenty years, The Levellers are more folk rock's political theoreticians these days but they still have the muscle to energize a crowd and get them jumping. An amazing end to a wonderful day, I hope the other FG posters on the field agreed.
theia

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by theia »

spot;954446 wrote: Friday had a touch of drizzle but the sun came out for most of the afternoon. I considered getting Whispering Bob to make a FG announcement to get us all to the beer tent at the same moment but decided we'd all find each other eventually and settled near the rail to hear Family Mahone start the day properly. They're a strange bunch, a pub band that sort of grew on account of being so exciting. They're from Manchester if I remember right - they've been before and I'm recalling stuff they said years back. They'd be an Irish family group if they were Irish or if they were related, every song's a drinking song and they have the right rough feel to what they do. They turned up this year missing their bass guitarist so they borrowed whoever was to hand, Peggy to start with and Maart for the rest of the session which is why my photo of them has Maart in it - the Mahones are natural camoflage for him, he fitted right in. The singer, DJ Mahone, has a drumset out in front and does most of the talking, I've not seen that tried before and it's effective, they have good material and they put it over perfectly. I enjoy their sets a lot.

Family Mahone and Maart Alcock

PJ Wright and Peggy came on in matching Hawaian shirts for the next set and had the sun out within five minutes, they're this year's Sunshine Boys. They had Steve Gibbons on stage for a while to add harmonica and sing, he's one of the reasons Birmingham isn't a cultural desert. They had a song toward the end written by Mark Knopfler, Donegan's Gone, which brought back the last festival Lonnie ever played. Same field, same crowd, same response, huge emotional reaction from anyone who had seen that final performance, it was a cracker.

PJ Wright, Dave Pegg

Whoever wins the Radio 2 Young Folk Musician award always gets a slot, Siobhan Miller and Jeana Leslie were this year's and they did great, it's a joy to see people that full of talent and verve mid-afternoon and they had the crowd behind them all the way through, they're what folk is all about. Stackridge followed them. Stackridge aren't teenagers. Stackridge were the first act at the first Glastonbury. Stackridge are my all-time idols. "Meet me where the pampas grass will touch the sky and llamas fly above the blue lagoon". Any time lads, whatever you play I'll hum along to. Mutter plays the flute and clacks his maracas when the mood takes him, he sings too. James Warren is a perfectionist on guitar, the group appears to have bred a couple of wow-fiddle-players, the whole group's playing as well as I've ever heard them, they were a joy to watch. I've seen them play to bemused pensioners in small rooms before and get them on their feet calling for encores. Getting them in front of a crowd as good as Cropredy's is a bonus, everyone rises to it. If Friday to this point had been the whole of Cropredy it'd have been a great year.

James Warren and Mutter

Instead of which it just kept building. Joe Brown had a set and Joe Brown is simply the most loved English singer still out there, every time I see him he's found something more. He's got fifty years to trawl through and everything he brings back to life shines. This year he had the good fortune to have Dave Edmunds to work with and between them they touch a lot of style, we heard a string of hits we didn't even realize we'd forgotten. The field has all ages scattered around, the idea that the children up by the rail were dancing to original material from the fifties from the guy who first recorded it pleases me no end.

Joe Brown

The last set of the day was The Levellers, putting as much energy into it as I've seen anyone manage and the crowd lapped it up. Nobody stays punk for twenty years, The Levellers are more folk rock's political theoreticians these days but they still have the muscle to energize a crowd and get them jumping. An amazing end to a wonderful day, I hope the other FG posters on the field agreed.

I really like The Levellers
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

theia;954447 wrote: I really like The Levellers

They were great, weren't they! I knew there were other FGers on the field, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
koan

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by koan »

I was there in spirit. :)

Glad you had a great time.
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

koan;954511 wrote: I was there in spirit. :)If you'd been more corporeal I'd have brought you an umbrella.

Saturday? Shall I do Saturday too? There was still no sign of the other FG posters but the music made it worth being there anyway. The rain was intermittent by which I suppose I mean it didn't actually stop but it got less wet after Richard Digance left the stage. He's a gem, turns up every year on Saturday at twelve to get the crowd started, claims not to care at all whether anyone likes what he does and knows full well he's the only reason half of them climbed out of their sleeping bags and showered specially. He's England's answer to Max Boyce. Here's a sample of the sort of lyrics he gets away with.Long ago a man named Michaelangelo to the doctors he did go, with a nasty pain.

Stiff neck. Made him feel a right wreck. The doctor gave a quick check and to Michael did explain...

Ceilings, stop painting bloody ceilings, your neck will then start healing, stop showing off my son.

Plastered, ceilings should be plastered, stop being a flash bastard.That's why he painted just the one.

Next up was a huge treat, Ashley Hutchings put together a band just to recreate the music from the National Theatre's production 25 years ago of Lark Rise To Candleford at the Cottesloe. I saw the production at the time and it's stayed with me ever since, it was done in the round with the audience and performers sharing the same space, it was mesmerising theatre and the band did it justice, we even had Guy Fletcher recreate the broom dance as well as playing drums and guitar, he left the fiddle work to Ruth Angell. Judy Dunlop had a drum and sang, Simon Care had his accordion and Ashley his bass guitar, the whole set was a treat. I remember Guy Fletcher from when he was a lad stood on the same bit of the field year after year soaking in the Cropredy style and later putting together fiddle passages with Little Johnny England that brought crowds to their feet cheering, he's one of the great performers of his generation.

Legend

We'd have had Bob Marley next if Bob Marley were still alive but he's not. What do you do with all that material he left if he's not around to keep it alive? You get someone who can do the material justice and Michael Anton Phillips is exactly that, so we had an entire set of Bob Marley and it was wonderful to watch and listen to, I'd not have known different just by listening if it had been the man himself. Jimmy Carl Black came on next with a group trying to recreate the Mothers Of Invention and yes he had the right tunes but no he didn't pull it off, it was like seeing the London Philharmonic try the same trick. I've no idea why it failed but it failed.

Julie Fowlis had a set and brought the field back to life singing in Gaelic, Midge Ure followed her singing the most doom-laden sequence of songs I've ever heard strung together so it was a very Scots early evening, I enjoyed both of them. Finally Fairport created a three-hour set to finish off and had one of the best coordinated sessions I can remember them in, it was masterful. The surprise of the night was Robert Plant duetting The Battle Of Evermore with Kristina Donahue with Chris Lesley mandolining through it.

So, there you have it, the third FG UK meet in all its glory. What's on for the fourth?
Trunk Monkey

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Trunk Monkey;955057 wrote: Thank you for posting the pics Spot. Looked like a great concert and a really fun time. Wish I could have attended.
Bryn Mawr

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;954074 wrote: [1] That Youtube clip's actually Status Quo's version rather than John Tams'. Youtube doesn't have John Tams doing it and the Quo video's seriously disturbing even though it's over 20 years old. They'd never get away with that these days. Status Quo weren't at Cropredy.

That bayn't Rolling Home - you'm be singing the wrong song there mi-beauty!

At the end of a long evenings drinking everyone launches into :-

Recognise anyone? :wah:
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

I concede that John Tams stuck to the Sidmouth version, I was just glued to the oddity of the Quo clip. Couldn't resist temptation.

No, who on earth am I meant to recognize? I thought the Middle Bar sessions had stopped years ago, maybe it was just that the main guy with the wand had retired after all those years active service caught up with him.
Bryn Mawr

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;956288 wrote: I concede that John Tams stuck to the Sidmouth version, I was just glued to the oddity of the Quo clip. Couldn't resist temptation.

No, who on earth am I meant to recognize? I thought the Middle Bar sessions had stopped years ago, maybe it was just that the main guy with the wand had retired after all those years active service caught up with him.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the guy behind the two monkeys was Tony aged another ten years
spot

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;956296 wrote: Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the guy behind the two monkeys was Tony aged another ten years

No chance, he was stood up.
Bryn Mawr

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;956302 wrote: No chance, he was stood up.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

OK, I submit, not horizontal and no branch.
Pinky

FG UK Meet 2008

Post by Pinky »

Oh bum!!! I'd have loved to have come along to that, it looks like you had a brilliant time! Excellent photos!

Return to “Holidays”