Tacky Tourists

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
koan

Tacky Tourists

Post by koan »

What do you think the 'natives' say about tourists when we're not around? Do they laugh at us thinking they really wear grass skirts when we're not around? Have you ever sat, drinking out of a coconut shell, and felt like a total jerk?
guppy

Tacky Tourists

Post by guppy »

:pok..i have to tell this story..i was out at the okeefenokee swamp one summer and me and my crowd noticed a bunch of chinese tourists taking tons of pictures of a buzzard perched on a tree..we asked them what they were doing..they replied ...taking pics of a southern wild turkey....:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Patsy Warnick

Tacky Tourists

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Koan

Have you ever been any Tropical?

Since I go to Hawaii every year - yes I see tourist with coconut drinks & pineapple drinks - I don't see anyone laughing.

Every Hotel has souveniors & cocktail lounges that issue a drink in any device of choice.

What I do find "Tacky" are tourist " a couple" dressed in the same pattern material - matching out fits, you know its they're first visit to the islands - They'll be on the beach, she'll have a bathing suit & he'll have the matching trunks on, or the dress & shirt out fit - and we do chuckle..

Aloha

Patsy
koan

Tacky Tourists

Post by koan »

LOL

matching bathing suits??
anotherlisa

Tacky Tourists

Post by anotherlisa »

As long as they don't block my path, I don't mind tourists. I work in midtown Manhattan, not far from Rockefeller Ctr/Radio City Music Hall. I hate when gaggles of tourists stop dead in their tracks to look at something and block the entire sidewalk. At this time of the year, that can happen multiple times in my one block walk from the office to my bus stop. I've missed buses trying to get around them and then I get stuck waiting another 20-30 mins to get home because they can't figure out if they're going to stop to look at something, move off to the side. I want to find out where they live, go to their town for my vacation & drive 5 miles per hour in front of their car when they're trying to get home, so they can see how it feels.

When I worked downtown, I took the ferry. Most are ok, but in addition to path blocking, some have to yell, scream & carry on and shove their way through to be first on the boat, so they can stop dead in the aisles when people are trying to board. Not to generalize, but certain countries & regions of the US tend to do this more. And some of them don't realize that just because there are dense crowds, doesn't mean you don't say excuse me when you bump into people. They will shove right into people to try and get a better view without saying excuse me or apologizing.

I did laugh with (as opposed to at) one when he was perplexed by revolving doors (I guess they don't have a lot of them where he came from). He started to hum the theme from Mission Impossible after studying the door and deciding to try it. Then there are the ones who stop dead at the end of an escalator to either look at a view or figure out where they want to go in a store (instead of moving off to the side). I've had to step around a few of them to avoid pile ups.
Kathy Ellen

Tacky Tourists

Post by Kathy Ellen »

NY is a trip trying to maneuver around isn't it AnotherLisa,:wah:Drives me nuts trying to get around people. Reminds me of O'Connell St. and Grafton St. in Dublin...a nightmare if you're in a rush.
mikeinie

Tacky Tourists

Post by mikeinie »

I was checking out of a hotel in the west coast of Ireland when an American tourist came to the front desk complaining that the hair drying she had did not fit the plugs in the room. The girl behind the desk kindly explained that we were on a different system than in America and she needed a transformer to use her own air dryer, but the rooms also had hair dryers available.

The woman started giving out saying ‘that she did not understand why everyone could not just use the same plugs’. I said that they tried, but America was not willing to switch over.

It went straight over her head.
koan

Tacky Tourists

Post by koan »

True.

Those that go to another culture and attempt to fit in are much more reasonable then those that go and demand that their home environment be duplicated.
anotherlisa

Tacky Tourists

Post by anotherlisa »

Ironic that the repllies to my post are from the UK/Ireland or people who have been there, which is where most of my ancestors immigrated from & I plan to visit at one point! :wah: But I promise, when & if I do drop in for a visit, I plan to bring adaptors for my hair dryer & some sort of weather calcuation for Celsius temps. And to stay off the sidewalks while the locals are trying to get to work :)

And Mike's comment reminds me of a Canadian friend who'd get irate about the conversion to the metric system (apparently Canada switched over thinking the US would) and acid rain when he had a few LaBatts in him. But I kind of grew to appreciate his perspective & LaBatts.
G-man

Tacky Tourists

Post by G-man »

I'm never an ugly American wherever I travel... I always do my research and try to pick up the language so that I can fit in... often I'm mistaken for a local... even when I was in Africa several years ago. :p

You're not going to drink your awa from a coconut shell when we go to Hawai'i, are you Koan? What about wearing one of those bras made out of coconut shells? :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

koan

Tacky Tourists

Post by koan »

I'm allergic to coconut :-3
RedGlitter

Tacky Tourists

Post by RedGlitter »

koan;730628 wrote: What do you think the 'natives' say about tourists when we're not around? Do they laugh at us thinking they really wear grass skirts when we're not around? Have you ever sat, drinking out of a coconut shell, and felt like a total jerk?

No grass skirt but yes, I've felt like a jerk! It happens to me often. Once in Oklahoma we were watching a dance performed by the Indians and it was swelteringly hot and these poor dancers were in full leather and feather regalia doing what should have been a sacred dance for us but it felt embarrassing to sit and watch because we could tell they probably hated that we were there. I felt like they resented us for being there and I felt very, very White. And there's a knowitall in every crowd I'm in! On the same trip, an Indian was explaining tribal customs to us and there was a doofus in our group who kept correcting him- mind you he was a White guy correcting a tribal member about Indian ways. :thinking: I was embarrassed to be there. Finally at one point, the Indian guy explained how they take care of their dead and the doofus piped up and said "You burn 'em on a funeral pyre!!" The Indian guy said no, they buried their dead, they did not use pyres and the knowitall guy said "Yeah you do! I seen it in the movies!" :thinking: God. I felt so bad for the tribal guy who probably felt he was wasting his time telling us stuff and I was embarrassed to be in the same crowd as this bigmouth.

I have traveled all over the States and never left the country except for day trips to Mexico so I'm no world traveler like some of you, but I think basic manners go a long way wherever you are. I always try to be extra nice when I'm in a new place and except for the occasional few foreign tourists, most of the ones I encounter here are courteous and friendly.
G-man

Tacky Tourists

Post by G-man »

Oops... *adds coconut to the list* :p

OMG! I'm embarassed just reading that, Red! :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “Holidays”