Not a Very Good Flyer

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
cogob

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by cogob »

I am not the best when it comes to flying, has anyone got any tips on calming nerves etc.

Remembering that airlines will not let you on if you have had too much to drink.
Imladris

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by Imladris »

Not a huge fan myself, I take plenty to entertain myself, books magazines etc to take my mind off of being in the air, I always keep my seat belt fastened 'cos it makes me feel more secure.

Your GP may be able to prescribe a mild sedative to help calm you, I have heard of people taking sleeping tablets on long haul flights but that doesn't appeal to me or you could try taking an antihistamine that makes you dozy, may cut down the stress!!

A lot of airports now also run courses for people who are scared of flying to help them conquer the fear, hypnotherapy may help.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Accountable

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by Accountable »

Talking about it helps. Turn to the person next to you. Never mind that she's trying to read her magazine. Tell her that you don't fly much and relate how nervous you are. Enumerate to her all the ways you can imagine things might go wrong.

If she tries to interrupt you just keep talking. It's important that you keep talking. If you stop talking then all those fears will come rushing back into your head. Keep a laser-beam focus on her eyes so that she will have to pay attention.

If she keeps trying to shush you just talk louder. Sometimes it helps to get animated. Use large sweeping hand gestures as your volume increases.

If she gets up to move, follow her. Talk to her through the restroom door if necessary.

Above all, don't allow outside influences to distract you, such as attendants trying to pull you away.

Trust me, you'll feel better.
el guapo

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by el guapo »

yep know the cure go by boat:D
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
JacksDad

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by JacksDad »

Accountable;678530 wrote: Talking about it helps. Turn to the person next to you. Never mind that she's trying to read her magazine. Tell her that you don't fly much and relate how nervous you are. Enumerate to her all the ways you can imagine things might go wrong.

If she tries to interrupt you just keep talking. It's important that you keep talking. If you stop talking then all those fears will come rushing back into your head. Keep a laser-beam focus on her eyes so that she will have to pay attention.

If she keeps trying to shush you just talk louder. Sometimes it helps to get animated. Use large sweeping hand gestures as your volume increases.

If she gets up to move, follow her. Talk to her through the restroom door if necessary.

Above all, don't allow outside influences to distract you, such as attendants trying to pull you away.

Trust me, you'll feel better.

That was you sitting next to me???!!!

:wah:
buttercup

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by buttercup »

Is it the take off or the whole experience?
Carl44

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by Carl44 »

i hate flying it really makes my arms ache :wah:

[love]light

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by [love]light »

Everytime I get on a plane, I think about how f'ing awesome it is that we have the ability to fly. Seriously. I get excited about it. It is absolutely amazing, and just because it has become so common doesn't mean we should forget what an incredible feat it is.

(if that doesn't work, xanax is anxieties worst enemy.)

:D
The most important things in life are:

laughter, love, and a healthy appreciation for the dark side!

sunny104

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by sunny104 »

I don't like flying, either. :-3
YZGI

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by YZGI »

'[love wrote: light;678622']Everytime I get on a plane, I think about how f'ing awesome it is that we have the ability to fly. Seriously. I get excited about it. It is absolutely amazing, and just because it has become so common doesn't mean we should forget what an incredible feat it is.

(if that doesn't work, xanax is anxieties worst enemy.)

:D
Thats because you're high.:wah:

Um I love flying also, Do you know you can buy beer in the airports at all times? Even on early morning flights, I like to fly with heiny.:D
cogob

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by cogob »

Buttercup

It's the whole thing, the take off noises as the undercarraige retracts, the flight to whereever when the plane hits bumpy bits, and the landing when the engines go quite and you can feel the aircraft dropping, and one especially bad time when flew from Washington to Atlanta and in Atlanta when the plane's wheels touched down the pilot must have jumped hard on the brakes which I later found out that to save time he wanted to exit the runway half way down instead of going to the end. Or circling round Gatwick slowly getting lower waiting for a landing spot. Or watching an plane land at Southend with it's undercarraige still up and alll the emergency vehicles chasing after it.
Accountable

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by Accountable »

In that case I won't tell you about the fact that flying is safer than driving. I don't want to put you off that as well. :)
spot

Not a Very Good Flyer

Post by spot »

Here's what to do, cogob. You think of the people in the cockpit. They've done thousands of landings and every single one of them left them alive and ready for the next flight. Going out on a trawler looking for fish is comparatively dangerous. Felling trees is comparatively dangerous. Just at the moment, serving a tour in the Middle East is comparatively dangerous. Flying is not dangerous, the world is full of retired pilots. Even on all those those "comparatively dangerous" activities I mentioned you stand ninety nine chances in a hundred of coming back uninjured after a year doing it, rounded to the nearest one. You'd cheerfully take those odds if you were admitted to hospital and offered them, and they're far far worse than the odds of an uneventful plane flight.

So, if the pilots do it safely, so do their passengers. Once you grasp that simple fact, looking around and taking an interest in what's going on might help. You don't often get to do it, take advantage of being there.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Holidays”