do you put up Christmas lights outdoors?

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i'm going to string mine around my porch today, although i don't turn them on until Thanksgiving night. i always use red and blue to honor the police who lost their lives in the past year. i love all white lights as well, but started this as my tradition a few years ago. i enjoy seeing all the lights up around town at night... our town common is enchanting....have some photos of yours? :yh_star :yh_star :yh_star
theia

Post by theia »

lady cop;465348 wrote: i'm going to string mine around my porch today, although i don't turn them on until Thanksgiving night. i always use red and blue to honor the police who lost their lives in the past year. i love all white lights as well, but started this as my tradition a few years ago. i enjoy seeing all the lights up around town at night... our town common is enchanting....have some photos of yours? :yh_star :yh_star :yh_star

When I was in Omaha this time last year, I thought that the Christmas lights looked magical and I liked the idea of switching them on at Thanksgiving. I don't do outside lights but have a white tree with blue lights that I set in the window around the 1st December.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Red

Post by Red »

We dont lc but there's a house down the road from us that decorate the entire outside each year, it looks breathtaking! and must cost them an absolute fortune, they really go to town on it, everyone goes to see it and take pics etc, it was on tv last year i think.

I love to see everyones lights and stuff, we'll be putting our tree up end of nov hopefully, norm do it dec 1st but that's LL's 2nd birthday.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

No lights on my house although there are plenty in the area that go into competition with each other. It's all a bit too much for me, less is more as far as I'm concerned.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I only have lights on my tree although I did put lights round the window on the inside a couple of times.

The residents of some streets round here go the 'whole hog' when decorating the outside of their hiomes, so much so that it is a local attraction for a while and they collect money for charity from the 'toursists'.

I have to say that some of the decorations you can but are a bit grosse....inflatable Santas and snowmen. I do like the lights though and every year they seem to be more hi-tech and sparkly.

When I was a kid, we had tiny 'real' candles in holders on the tree :eek:
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bez;465371 wrote: I only have lights on my tree although I did put lights round the window on the inside a couple of times.

The residents of some streets round here go the 'whole hog' when decorating the outside of their hiomes, so much so that it is a local attraction for a while and they collect money for charity from the 'toursists'.

I have to say that some of the decorations you can but are a bit grosse....inflatable Santas and snowmen. I do like the lights though and every year they seem to be more hi-tech and sparkly.

When I was a kid, we had tiny 'real' candles in holders on the tree :eek:

You need to make your trip to Cornwall soon, when all the christmas lights are on, Mousehole looks fantastic.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Betty Boop;465372 wrote: You need to make your trip to Cornwall soon, when all the christmas lights are on, Mousehole looks fantastic.

Hi Betty....will they keep them going until next summer doya think ??:)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bez;465374 wrote: Hi Betty....will they keep them going until next summer doya think ??:)

:wah: No, unless you're bringing the Queen with you of course!
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

we do , but i hate it every year the same jimbo up the ladder sue and kids on the ground put that one there i do so , sue no actually put it there i take it back down , sue no sorry put it back i put it back , and so on and so on and then i get the hump we have an inflatable homor simpson thing that lights up every one says it looks like me:(

the worst thing is when you go to bed you turn off the bedroom light and forget to turn the things off its like a jumbo jet is about to land in your bedroom and i have to go down and turn it all off doh doh doh

bah humbug :o
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

We had just moved last Christmas from living on the business premises so for the first time could put lights outside, which we put on a large magnolia tree in the garden - it looked lovely and as we drove up towards the house it really stood out.

But the best bit was hubby falling off the step ladder in the garden, daughter laughing hysterically and sadly I missed it!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Red

Post by Red »

lol@ mr scroogemeister :wah:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Imladris;465390 wrote: We had just moved last Christmas from living on the business premises so for the first time could put lights outside, which we put on a large magnolia tree in the garden - it looked lovely and as we drove up towards the house it really stood out.

But the best bit was hubby falling off the step ladder in the garden, daughter laughing hysterically and sadly I missed it!

:wah: :wah: you bad bad i girl :-4
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Tradition here to go out Chrissie light cruising the night before Christmas Eve. Some areas are like fairyland, and of course it's usually mega hot, so everyone in the street is outside, and the proud owners of the houses with the most lights offer drinks and barbecue. And sometimes we all sing carols. And the whole world smells of gardenias. I'm a kid any time, but especially at Christmas.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

AussiePam;465399 wrote: Tradition here to go out Chrissie light cruising the night before Christmas Eve. Some areas are like fairyland, and of course it's usually mega hot, so everyone in the street is outside, and the proud owners of the houses with the most lights offer drinks and barbecue. And sometimes we all sing carols. And the whole world smells of gardenias. I'm a kid any time, but especially at Christmas.

wow who votes we all go visit aussiepam this chrimbo

:D :D
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

jimbo;465398 wrote: :wah: :wah: you bad bad i girl :-4

He wasn't hurt (i'd have laughed more then!)

I think he was disappointed that I wasn't videoing him - £250 from you've been framed would have been nice - I did ask him to do it again but he wouldn't - so selfish!

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Imladris;465401 wrote: He wasn't hurt (i'd have laughed more then!)

I think he was disappointed that I wasn't videoing him - £250 from you've been framed would have been nice - I did ask him to do it again but he wouldn't - so selfish!
:wah: :wah: :wah:

poor guy
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I've had white Christmases too, jimbo, and like those as well. Very different. And of course in the northern hemisphere, it's dark at 4pm or whatever round then. In Australia, it's light till 9pm.

I didnt' of course answer LC's question. I like to put up a few lights outside on the porch and a few decorations, but mainly for us. As a whole, I think Australians don't go in for the heroic kind of outdoor decor that I really enjoy seeing in America - whether it's Spring or Halloween or Thanksgiving or Christmas. There's something about those tiny little lights strung across the roads in patterns, in snow too. I skiied Breckenridge just after Christmas a couple of years ago, and all the lights were still up in the village. With all the snow, it was just like a wonderful, traditional northern hemisphere Chrissie card. Mind boggling. I just danced about the streets in the evening, sort of singing.. :D

Traditional here to go to the beach on Christmas Day.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

AussiePam;465405 wrote: I've had white Christmases too, jimbo, and like those as well. Very different. And of course in the northern hemisphere, it's dark at 4pm or whatever round then. In Australia, it's light till 9pm.

I didnt' of course answer LC's question. I like to put up a few lights outside on the porch and a few decorations, but mainly for us. As a whole, I think Australians don't go in for the heroic kind of outdoor decor that I really enjoy seeing in America - whether it's Spring or Halloween or Thanksgiving or Christmas. There's something about those tiny little lights strung across the roads in patterns, in snow too. I skiied Breckenridge just after Christmas a couple of years ago, and all the lights were still up in the village. With all the snow, it was just like a wonderful, traditional northern hemisphere Chrissie card. Mind boggling. I just danced about the streets in the evening, sort of singing.. :D

Traditional here to go to the beach on Christmas Day.

if you ask me chrimbo warm nice beer still light at 9pm

or christmas dark at 4pm

actually i dont know mozzie bites a chrimbo , christmas day picnic on the beach i dont know

cold beer in a nice warm pub in england by an open fire

yipes just what would you guys rather have i see good in both i'm just used to cold chrimbo then turkey for a week

tell you what pammie i just dont know what i'd rather do

the thought of a christmas day swim is a nice one :D :D
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I will decorate inside this year, the kids are staying home.:-4

But I won't do the outside, I do not know how to hang those lights up. But it will look nice inside, I am going to start this weekend.:)
guppy

Post by guppy »

That is what i do every friday after thanksgiving. tree goes up and lights go up outside. :)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I do not usually decorate at all. Yes, rather scrooge-like of me. If we celebrated the Holidays at home, having people come over, I would consider it, but we always go out.

We do always take a drive around to look at the outdoor displays, though.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

We have a street here that in usually full of houses that are decorated with lights. Two friends started it trying to outdo each other as a joke then others joined in so they decided to make a collection for charity from people coming to see them. Then they added an carol concert to raise more money - they usually get about £1000.

this year they're collecting for a childhood cancer charity as one of the children from the originators of this has Ewings Sarcoma. It's always great fun.

WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I would love to put up Christmas lights outdoors, but umm afraid of heights!! Ex did it one year and looked like something Jeff Foxworthy could use in one of his comedy skits...I love to look at all the decor that other people take time to put up though.. There is a guy with last name HO in our area and he goes ALL out, people drive from afar just to come see "HO HO LAND"....it's very magical!
valerie

Post by valerie »

Look what I found:

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

that is such a neat video Val! :cool:
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I will have some simple light chains, not too many, white.

Christmas decorations go up on Christmas Eve. They come down on 12th. Night.

They do not go up in early December, and come down on Boxing Day.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

valerie;465539 wrote: Look what I found:

That house is fabulous! I wish I could do something like that!

I saw that video last year and apparantly they had to stop the light shows because so many people were coming to see it that the road was gridlocked and the neighbours were not too happy!!

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

here's my yard

Attached files
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
minks

Post by minks »

zinkyusa;465774 wrote: here's my yard

back to the bat cave for you.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
cars

Post by cars »

100 years ago, I used to have the most "Christmas Lights" dressed up house in my neighborhood! Lighted Santa, Candles, Sleighs, Angles, and over two thousand multi-colored lights all over the house, chimney, trees, bushes. It was so spectacular that it caused a traffic hazzard in the street, when local people driving by would slow, even stop to gaze at the outrageous display! The local news paper once put a pix of our house display on their front page! After that, people from all over used to come to take a look. Consequently, the police were now involved, as they were on the scene to direct the heavy traffic.:rolleyes: They were not happy about that, & encouraged me to cut it down, eventually I did, over the years. (Not to mention, the electric bill was a killer!)

Nowadays, we leave our Northern Villa & travel to our Southern Villa, before Christmas. Therefore, I no longer decorate our New England Villa. But I do put up lights, & lighted window figures in our Southern Villa. Changing times call for changing decorating! :)
Cars :)
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

was this you Cars?? :wah:

Attached files
cars

Post by cars »

lady cop;466005 wrote: was this you Cars?? :wah:

How'd you get my pix!!! :eek:

Yeah, today there is a movie out about 2 guys trying to one up each other with Crristmas lights/displays! Back then, after the first couple years, my neighbors started to get into the act trying to catch up to me. And for a few years, the stuff shown in todays movie was happening for real to us! :rolleyes:

It's funny now, it wasn't then! ;)
Cars :)

Return to “Holidays”