Abandoned Suitcases Reveal Private Lives of Insane Asylum Patients

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
tabby

Abandoned Suitcases Reveal Private Lives of Insane Asylum Patients

Post by tabby »

I really enjoyed this article on personal time capsules and was intrigued by the intimate details of seemingly every day items that these people took with them to the asylum. So many different stories, each unique yet all ending in the same place. I particularly loved how Anna inventoried her glamorous clothing and I hope she was allowed to wear at least some of it while there. I also like Freda's little black dog and yellow alarm clock.

I'm so glad the caretakers saved these suitcases and by doing so kept a physical record of these derailed lives. I would love to see the museum display when all is done.

As the opening sentence asks, "If you were committed to a psychiatric institution, unsure if you'd ever return to the life you knew before, what would you take with you?"

Abandoned Suitcases Reveal Private Lives of Insane Asylum Patients | Collectors Weekly

Return to “The Coffee Shop”