Understanding the Book of Revelation

Discuss Prophecies and Prophets. From the Ancients to Modern Day Soothsayers.
ledroyjr

Post by ledroyjr »

Saint_;1288322 wrote: I both agree and disagree. The Bible is NOT scientific fact. On the other hand, it IS a pretty good "authority" on how to live you life peacefully and meaningfully.;)

Amen! Thank you.
bne1

Post by bne1 »

When our Sun dies we die that's if we haven't already died. No god is going to stop that I reckon.The end of man on Earth is the end of life in the universe.:):):)
ledroyjr

Post by ledroyjr »

bne1;1288466 wrote: When our Sun dies we die that's if we haven't already died. No god is going to stop that I reckon.The end of man on Earth is the end of life in the universe.:):):)

Praise God that it is not up to us to reckon, and praise God that there is no end of man just a new state of life that is glorious for those who believe.
ledroyjr

Post by ledroyjr »

gmc;1288063 wrote: If you post on a discussion forum don't complain if people disagree with you. the likeliest explanation for the book of revelation is it is a collection of stories from the past of people describing things that happened that they couldn't understand. If you don't understand something some uberbeing playing with you is can seem a reasonable explanation and that you have somehow offended them possible-unless you stop and think about it.

Look at what happened in tahiti-if that was a stone age community it happened to how do you think it would be explained fifty or a hundred years later? Who knows maybe a thousand year from the lord of the rings and star trek will be rival religions dim memories of a people who for some reason blew themselves back to the stone age.

It's fantasy, like that theory some religious sect had that believed if they killed themselves they could hop on a passing comet and go to heaven. If all you study is one text you end up with very strange ideas and convince yourself it is some great truth-even worse if you convince yourself some leader has all the answers and no longer question.

It's a dangerous fantasy to the rest of us if you get idiots in positions of power that actually believe this crap.

Yes we are really in trouble and it all falls on the disbelief and the looking towards the fantasies you just spoke of and it sounds like you are one of the contributors to the leading astray only time will tell of your destructive outcome. Good luck on your demise.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1288363 wrote: Right here.:D History is a science.

History is the study of past events and uses some scientific techniques to help objectivity. But I doubt you could call it a science as such. It tends to be written by the winners-or even just those who had writing so while the bible may be an account of jewish history it is hardly unbiased-we don't hear, for instance, what the people already living in the land flowing with milk and honey thought about being invaded by another tribe. If you are going to slaughter people who have done you no harm and take all they have and enslave the women and children persuading yourself it's all god's will is a great way to rationalise the guilt.

The hebrews weren't the only tribe wandering around you know.

Archaeology is the systematic study of past human life and culture by the recovery and examination of remaining material evidence, such as graves, buildings, tools, and pottery. You can cross reference archaeological and bits and pieces from other writings and decide for yourself the veracity or otherwise of some of the bible stories. Some of the wrath of god episodes we can now recognise as natural disasters-volcanic eruptions earthquakes and so forth, you can understand why it would be easy to believe in a psychotic super being called god- try doing without food and water or eat strange plants and you will hallucinate as well. Nowadays the first thought if someone hears voices is that they are insane in biblical times they were either possessed or hearing god.

posted by ledroyjr

Yes we are really in trouble and it all falls on the disbelief and the looking towards the fantasies you just spoke of and it sounds like you are one of the contributors to the leading astray only time will tell of your destructive outcome. Good luck on your demise.

We're not going to agree on this but we can at least disagree amicably so long as you appreciate my scepticism is not personal-I don't actually know you so it couldn't be.

So why do you think the heavens gate people were wrong? If you believe something strongly enough then it comes true does it not-at least that seems to be the basis of the belief system of those who believe he end of times is due.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

bne1;1288466 wrote: When our Sun dies we die that's if we haven't already died. No god is going to stop that I reckon.The end of man on Earth is the end of life in the universe.:):):)

Sheesh. That's a pretty negative view, don't you think?

1. That's like saying that the whole family will die when the house burns down. Give them some credit for getting out of the house, will ya?;)The Sun is not scheduled to "die" for another 2,000,000,000 years. We've come amazingly far in just 2,000 years, so what makes you think we'll just wait around here for the end? I'll bet we'll be watching the show from far, far away!

2. What kind of a person can go outside, look up at the billions of stars, and somehow think that life only exists on Earth?!!:-5 That's amazingly ego-centric! Give God some credit! We know for a fact that other worlds exist, we've cataloged over 400 of them already, including ones with water! Scientists now say that Earth-like worlds are probably very, very common in our galaxy! so you think that all those millions of Earth-like worlds are just sitting there uninhabited? Not bloody likely!:rolleyes:
theia

Post by theia »

Saint_;1288801 wrote: Sheesh. That's a pretty negative view, don't you think?

1. That's like saying that the whole family will die when the house burns down. Give them some credit for getting out of the house, will ya?;)The Sun is not scheduled to "die" for another 2,000,000,000 years. We've come amazingly far in just 2,000 years, so what makes you think we'll just wait around here for the end? I'll bet we'll be watching the show from far, far away!

2. What kind of a person can go outside, look up at the billions of stars, and somehow think that life only exists on Earth?!!:-5 That's amazingly ego-centric! Give God some credit! We know for a fact that other worlds exist, we've cataloged over 400 of them already, including ones with water! Scientists now say that Earth-like worlds are probably very, very common in our galaxy! so you think that all those millions of Earth-like worlds are just sitting there uninhabited? Not bloody likely!:rolleyes:

Thanks Saint. I'm feeling a little dejected this evening and those words lifted me somewhat...:-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
gmc

Post by gmc »

never mind, cheer up.

YouTube - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

theia

Post by theia »

gmc;1288871 wrote: never mind, cheer up.

YouTube - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

YouTube - Life Of Brian - Ending

That's wonderful, gmc...thanks :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Return to “Prophecies and Prophets”