Kindle

Snooze

Kindle

Post by Snooze »

I'm strangely excited about this gadget, has anyone had an opportunity to use one?

Wireless Reading Device
Sheryl

Kindle

Post by Sheryl »

I can't read alot from a monitor. Makes my eyes hurt.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Snooze

Kindle

Post by Snooze »

It probably causes brain tumors anyway (she says in a sour grapes sort of way.)

$399!!
cars

Kindle

Post by cars »

Amazing!!! What will they think of next??? If you're an ardent reader, sounds like this would be a great thing! But it sounds like it might also be expensive, at $9.95 a pop!
Cars :)
Snooze

Kindle

Post by Snooze »

Holy feces, I missed that part!
sunny104

Kindle

Post by sunny104 »

that's pretty cool! I guess if I traveled a lot or something like that I'd get one because I LOVE to read and it'd be easier to carry that thing around than a bunch of books and stuff.

but for day to day life I prefer doing things the old fashioned way. :o
Chezzie

Kindle

Post by Chezzie »

Wow thats pretty cool, especially the online backup in case of theft etc..:)
Nomad

Kindle

Post by Nomad »

Nothing will replace the weight and feel of a book in your hand or the way the pages feel in your fingers or the thoughts aroused in your mind when you glance at a book you have read on the shelf.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Kindle

Post by RedGlitter »

I've heard both good and bad about Kindle. Mainly about the pricing.

Here's what Cnet.com says:

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/ ... prod.txt.1
Chezzie

Kindle

Post by Chezzie »

Nomad;744577 wrote: Nothing will replace the weight and feel of a book in your hand or the way the pages feel in your fingers or the thoughts aroused in your mind when you glance at a book you have read on the shelf.

will you stop posting stuff that makes sense...It isnt natural:wah::wah:
chonsigirl

Kindle

Post by chonsigirl »

I saw that offered. I have a rocketbook still, it is an interesting gadget, I can download books for free into it. But like Nomad said, a real book in your hand is the best.
Peter Benders

Kindle

Post by Peter Benders »

its very costly but worth if u can read pdf files in it..i think there should be more products of this type.. thanks for sharing the information
AussiePam

Kindle

Post by AussiePam »

Interesting case recently on this. In mid July, Amazon apparently discovered that there was some problem with George Orwell's "1984" which a number of custormers had purchased electronically and downloaded onto their Kindles. So Amazon remotely accessed the Kindles, without the knowledge or permission of the purchasers, deleted the book and sent a credit note.

Big Brother: Amazon Remotely Deletes 1984 From Kindles

Not surprisingly, this worried a few people. Like if Barnes and Noble broke into your house at night and removed a book you bought from them from your bookshelf.

Big Brother is watching!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

I have a Kindle2 and I LOVE it!

The font size is adjustable and it makes reading so much more pleasurable for me. Also, if I'm reading and get hungry, I just put it on audio and it reads to me while I prepare my lunch. You can also choose a male of female voice AND you can choose a faster or slower speed of speech.

My favorite feature is the online Oxford dictionary. It is so easy to verify word definitions and for more info you have online access as if you are on your computer.

Kindle2 allows you to underline and add notes and keeps them available per book and all together, if you like.

The classics are free downloads as well as many other books.

Getting a new books is fast and easy. The Kindle Store is accessed right on your Kindle and downloads books in 30 seconds.

Taking it with you wherever you go is very easy due its small size and light weight.

A larger unit of the Kindle is also now available for textbook use. Case Western uses them.

I love my Kindle. I greatly enjoy all my electronic toys.

My electronic world is not the world of my grandmother's and the world that will be my grandchildren's - - well, I just can't even imagine.................

I still love the feel of a book in my hands, but I really don't need that 'feel' for everything I read......... Kindle2 has made my life better and my reading more enjoyable.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
ZAP

Kindle

Post by ZAP »

I thought this topic was about Kindle, beloved thief of TLW, but I'm grateful for your post about what sounds like a very useful gadget and your comments about it.
G-man

Kindle

Post by G-man »

Is that Snooze? This is an old thread...

I've toyed around with it, but... it's not for me, despite being the gadget geek that I am. I do have a friend that absolutely LOVES it, though. Amazon is always offering freebies online, too...

I suppose in regards to books, I've always been a bit old fashioned in that respect, I love the feel of it in my hand, I love to grab a book (especially nice leatherbound books) out of my library, walk downstairs and sit next to the fire reading a good book... the sensuality of it is missing with this. It just depends on you and your tastes, I suppose.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Zapata;1233386 wrote: I thought this topic was about Kindle, beloved thief of TLW, but I'm grateful for your post about what sounds like a very useful gadget and your comments about it.

Aw........... "beloved thief of TLW" :o

In the words of Sally Fields: You love me! You really, really love me!" :-4

AussiePam

Kindle

Post by AussiePam »

Your earlier post reads just like an advertising blurb Kindle, and there IS your name. What gives here? Not knocking - just interested. I've read a few things about the system, which, I understand, is not yet available in Australia. Correct me if this is wrong, please. I think it sounds interesting.

What do you say about the remote deletion issue I mentioned???

Pmail me if this is getting close to TOS rules.

Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

AussiePam;1233449 wrote: Your earlier post reads just like an advertising blurb Kindle, and there IS your name. What gives here? Not knocking - just interested. I've read a few things about the system, which, I understand, is not yet available in Australia. Correct me if this is wrong, please. I think it sounds interesting.

What do you say about the remote deletion issue I mentioned???

Pmail me if this is getting close to TOS rules.

Re name: Kindle is a wireless reader and so I thought it appropriate to identify Me on the Boards.

I don't know where Amazon sells their products, I only know this item (and there are other wireless devices out there) has been a blessing to me and I think it will be an advantage to people who cannot get out (the ill, the elderly, etc) to obtain a newspaper, magazine or the latest book without having to trouble another to fetch it for them..........

Re the snatch back on the books: I'm sure this was annoying to some who might have been in the middle of reading them, but I trust this type of problem will be worked out beforehand with other books, now that this has happened.

For me, the pluses on this device far outweight this snafu.

AussiePam

Kindle

Post by AussiePam »

Thankyou! I'm looking forward to seeing one of these, eventually. I understand that screen glare has been somehow managed, that it works even in sunlight. I am a book person, I stare at screens way too much already - but I'm interested. The idea of being able to travel with all my reading needs on one small, light, very portable item is enticing.

Accountable

Kindle

Post by Accountable »

I had lunch with some language arts teachers Friday and they were talking about Kindle. They all like it. It doesn't have the "bright light" issues of a computer screen; it really looks like words on a page. Plus if you like the feel of a book, Amazon sells a cover to give it that feel.

I wish I had the time to read. I might buy one after hearing them sing its praises.
AussiePam

Kindle

Post by AussiePam »

That's what attracted me too, Accountable. I'd like to see and hold one. Time to read... yes... !!!

Betty Boop

Kindle

Post by Betty Boop »

AussiePam;1233646 wrote: That's what attracted me too, Accountable. I'd like to see and hold one. Time to read... yes... !!!

Me too, see one and hold one that is. Initially I thought oooh no way, not the same as holding a book, then I realised these things can read to you, I could be in the kitchen getting on with chores and be listening to something from my reading list. I could take a bath and it could perch on the loo and read to me. Thinking about it I could get up to almost anything thing and there it would be, reading aloud to me, this was just made for multi tasking students like me...
Accountable

Kindle

Post by Accountable »

Does it have textbooks?
Snowfire

Kindle

Post by Snowfire »

But I like to lick my finger to turn the page
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Kindle

Post by Betty Boop »

Snowfire;1233661 wrote: But I like to lick my finger to turn the page

I'm sure you could still go through the motions, just for old times sake...
Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

AussiePam;1233635 wrote: Thankyou! I'm looking forward to seeing one of these, eventually. I understand that screen glare has been somehow managed, that it works even in sunlight. I am a book person, I stare at screens way too much already - but I'm interested. The idea of being able to travel with all my reading needs on one small, light, very portable item is enticing.

You can use this out in the sun as it is not backlite.

Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Accountable;1233650 wrote: Does it have textbooks?

Case Western is using them for their students.

Accountable

Kindle

Post by Accountable »

Snowfire;1233661 wrote: But I like to lick my finger to turn the page

Betty Boop;1233676 wrote: I'm sure you could still go through the motions, just for old times sake...:wah: You can always lick your finger before pushing the button. :D

Kindle;1233688 wrote: Case Western is using them for their students.
Thanks! That's good to know.
Nomad

Kindle

Post by Nomad »

Snooze;738725 wrote: Holy feces, I missed that part!

Awwww.......:-4
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kindle

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

cars;738716 wrote: Amazing!!! What will they think of next??? If you're an ardent reader, sounds like this would be a great thing! But it sounds like it might also be expensive, at $9.95 a pop!

The cost is what you decide to make it. Classics are free. zero cost to download. Also, various other books are free too. Some are fiction, some are non-fiction and others are self-help books -- it varies. Amazon's main page usually gives you a listing of their best selling books and the best selling kindle books (with their cost). I've picked up several books I might not have otherwise read just because they cost me nothing and, to date, none that I've chosen have turned out to be a poor selection.

The Sookie Stackhouse vampire series is $6.36 a book. I'm going to begin book #7 when I sign off. I figure: my husband smokes....................... I read. :D

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”