Trying to write a book

kmhowe72

Trying to write a book

Post by kmhowe72 »

I have been trying to write this book since last sept. I have rewroted twice. I just cannot seem to get it right. It's a fairytale. I have the characters, I have the plot. but it just not good enough yet. I thought this was going to be easy since I have great imagination.:-5 But I have been:-5 wall for ever with this thing. Does someomne have any advice.
kmhowe
abbey

Trying to write a book

Post by abbey »

Why not post a chapter on here and let us judge it?
kmhowe72

Trying to write a book

Post by kmhowe72 »

Well i don't know. I have to think about it. I don't want anyone copywriting it.:-2
kmhowe
Lon

Trying to write a book

Post by Lon »

kmhowe72 wrote: I have been trying to write this book since last sept. I have rewroted twice. I just cannot seem to get it right. It's a fairytale. I have the characters, I have the plot. but it just not good enough yet. I thought this was going to be easy since I have great imagination.:-5 But I have been:-5 wall for ever with this thing. Does someomne have any advice.

With all due respect Kim, your posts are not always clear and concise, nor are you particularly adept with grammer. (REWROTED TWICE???) Having a great imagination is one thing, putting those thoughts together so that they are readily understood by others is another. I would encourage to enroll in a writing class and start out with short stories.
kmhowe72

Trying to write a book

Post by kmhowe72 »

With all do respect according to the webster dictionary I have on my computer rewrote is a word. so you might want to take up with them. I didn't make this thread to be talked down to. I do have two toddlers runnig around, that I love dearly that make it a little hard to contraite. Am I am not a good speller.
kmhowe
chonsigirl

Trying to write a book

Post by chonsigirl »

Lon's suggestion of enrolling in a writing class is a good idea for a beginning writer. You can learn from others, while having your work critiqued. You don't have to use your really good story, you can keep that to yourself to work on it on the side. Another's viewpoint is priceless in writing, no matter who you are. I have been published lots of times, but always have many people read it over, and listen to their criticisms and comments. I use many of those comments to make my work more clear and readable. You sometimes get immersed in the story and need an outside eye. It is humbling at times, but a needed part of the writing process.

You can always write out your story, and have it copyrighted yourself, it is easy to do.
Lon

Trying to write a book

Post by Lon »

kmhowe72 wrote: With all do respect according to the webster dictionary I have on my computer rewrote is a word. so you might want to take up with them. I didn't make this thread to be talked down to. I do have two toddlers runnig around, that I love dearly that make it a little hard to contraite. Am I am not a good speller.

Sorry you took offense, but you did ask for advice, not a pat on the back.
Tan

Trying to write a book

Post by Tan »

Maybe you are too critical of your work? You need some constructive criticism and some peer editors...My husband had pieces of stories all over that were never finished until I begged him to complete one certain short story. It was great. Although I'm not an expert, I believed that a little extra attention may have helped him sort out what he was trying to express on paper. I wish we could read some of your ideas....
Tan
BTS

Trying to write a book

Post by BTS »

:) kmhowe72 wrote: With all do respect according to the webster dictionary I have on my computer rewrote is a word. so you might want to take up with them. I didn't make this thread to be talked down to. I do have two toddlers runnig around, that I love dearly that make it a little hard to contraite. Am I am not a good speller.

YIPPERS rewrote sure is a word................ but rewroted is not listed.............. Did you mean: rewrite ?:)
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
kmhowe72

Trying to write a book

Post by kmhowe72 »

I didn't really I am just moody tonight thanks
kmhowe
Shadow8472

Trying to write a book

Post by Shadow8472 »

kmhowe72 wrote: I have been trying to write this book since last sept. I have rewroted twice. I just cannot seem to get it right. It's a fairytale. I have the characters, I have the plot. but it just not good enough yet. I thought this was going to be easy since I have great imagination.:-5 But I have been:-5 wall for ever with this thing. Does someomne have any advice.

I feel for you. Really. I've been working on a Sci-Fi manuscript for the past three years now and it's about to start it's third draft. What I've found works for me is that i have two people I work with for brainstorming, and discussion (usually I work with one at a time in a one on one situation). Our rule is that we can bounce any idea we want off of each other and each idea gets equal consideration and discussion. It's amazing. Sometimes we'll start with one idea, evolve it, evolve it again, combine it with another idea, evolve it and by the time I've got something that I say "DONE" we're 20 steps removed from the original brainstorm.

As for revising, I'd reccomend you put the story away. Close it up, and don't touch it for a period of time. Depending on your time table and schedule, I'd reccomend at least a month or two. During this time, loan a copy out to a friend or two...people you trust and know won't steal it from you. Ask them for any and all constructie feedback, be they general reactions, gramar checks, spell checks, or suggested edits, as long as it's constructive, you want it. As for you...don't think about it during this period, don't brainstorm it don't even READ it.

Then, when your 'time off' is over, pick up your clean copy of the manuscript and read it as if you've never seen this story before. And then edit it. I read with a pen in hand and just start making notes about my reactions, grammar changes, thingsthat don't flow things that reveal too much too soon etc. I then take a look at my friends comments and make any additional edits i see as necessary based on their comments. By then I've usually got enough work with that I'm busy for another few months revising and generating my own re-drafts.

It's worked very well for me. Just a thought for you.
kmhowe72

Trying to write a book

Post by kmhowe72 »

Thank you Shadow for responding. You had many good ideas. I have had already decided to lay it to rest for now. But thanks.
kmhowe

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”