Tamsin and Roger

Lady J

Tamsin and Roger

Post by Lady J »

Tamsin looked at the photo in her wallet. Daydreaming. Hoping. Just surviving through those few more hours until once more she would hold what she knew would be the biggest joy of her life!

“Tamsin, you paying attention!” Mr. Brown called out; and every student in the room turned to stare at Tamsin.

“Uh, yes Sir”

“What is the meaning behind our story, then?” Mr. Brown pressured.

“That …that…he was…well….What story are we talking about Mr. Brown?”

As Tamsin sat in the Principal’s office awaiting her reprimand she took quick peeks into her wallet; every time her heart pounded faster. Anticipation!

“I should call your parents, Tamsin!” Mrs. Artbuckle scolded. “This is the 3rd time in two weeks you have ended up in this chair!”

“I guess I have been distracted, I am so sorry.” Tamsin mumbled.

“Speak up, child! Distraction is not an answer and being sorry will not get you a job!”

Mrs. Artbuckle went on…blah, blah. blah…..in one ear and other the other. There were more important things on Tamsin’s mind……

“Are you even paying attention, child?” Mrs. Artbuckle rapped the ruler on her desk.

“Yes, Mamm…I mean yes Mrs. Artbuckle.” Tamsin refocused to the moment of now.

The day worn on long and longer as Tamsin shuffled through. Finally the bell rang and she was free.

Miss Ann picked her up at the curb, all bubbly and excited as well.

“Well Tamsin are you ready?” Her voice filled with excitement. “Are you ready to go get your boy?”

“Miss Ann, this is all I have thought about since I picked him out 4 weeks ago! I have been sent to the Principal’s office three times for not paying attention. I just want to hold him, love him, give him a great home and teach him!”

“I am so glad your parents approve and are excited too. I spoke with your mom today and they will meet us there!”

“I can’t wait!” Tamsin eyes sparkled with excitement.

As they pulled up to the building Tamsin’s parents approached the car.

“Pumpkin, you ready? Are you sure you want all of this responsibility? You know you must keep up your grades; Mrs. Artbuckle called again and said you are obsessive with something in your wallet. She is concerned you are looking at…..well…who cares what she thinks, we know” Tamsin’s father pulled her close with his strong arms and gave her a hug.

“You ready?” he inquired. Tamsin nodded, and with that Tamsin, her Mom, Dad and Miss Ann walked into the building. Judy greeted them,

“Tamsin you know you are awful young to be doing this…are you sure you want to give up your free time?”

“Yes mamm!”

“Ok, let’s go get Roger!” Tamsin could not contain herself and once inside the room ran over to him and gently scooped him up…

”Oh! My special Roger! You and I will do so much! So many extraordinary things together!”

Today was the start for Tamsin and Roger. Roger is a black lab…a dog that is going on a mission. Between Tamsin and Rogers training, the countless hours of patience and trial and error, the rewards and praise; Roger will become the eyes for someone else. Tamsin will pay it forward, and then train another, and another, and another and then one more.

"Elsa, oyire Elsa!” she calls from the bedroom. The Shepherd moves close and nudges her. “Zoosu desu, Elsa!” Tamsin's hand trails down the silky back of her dog.

Time has moved on and after 30 years of raising dogs, training dogs to assist others Tamsin now needs help. “Elsa! Iki mashu! Let’s go see what there is to see!” Tamsin voice raises…and with tail thumping against the sofa; Elsa comes to lead the way…to pay it forward.

Not to confuse anyone but I write under the pen name of Amanda Curtis...this is one of my writes.

Lady J

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”