Old grizzled Mainers who don't trust outsiders.

KB.

Post by KB. »

I know I've been remiss and neglected to post a few stories here and there. I think the last one I posted was before I left to go to Montana, or maybe it was the one below this one. I don't know to be honest. But here is a new one.

It is four minutes until four, in the morning, and my mind is racing. Same old story. I have set things into motion that if followed through with will once again take me far, far away from home. Not quite as far away as Montana but still 1,400 miles or so as the train track goes. I’m excited and nervous as hell. I wonder if I can really afford to even make a trip like this, reckless and filled with abandon. Although I really do not have anything left to give up or give away. Who really just packs a bag, gets on a train and heads to Maine from Tennessee, with less than a month of planning? Crazy people I suppose. I’ve got to go though; I’m not quite done with it all. I don’t imagine I ever will be until I take that last step.

Dear Lord, as long as I live let me be able to roam. As long as I live let me be free to move, to wander, and to breathe the air in as many places as I desire. Lord, as long as I live let me be a gypsy and when I die let it be while I am somewhere other than where I was before. Let me be loved and let me love, like a child, free from preconceived notions. When I am weary help me find rest. And, Lord, please let there always be someone there who wants to hear my story. Amen.

I’m not looking for anything in particular and I quit running years ago. I can’t run fast enough to get away these days anyway. The only thing on my mind right now is a bigger than average Maine lobster and hearing the waves quietly creep ashore in the night. Lighthouses and tide pools, ferry rides to the mainland, old grizzled and gray Mainers who don’t trust outsiders and cute waitresses to charm with my Southern accent. Did I mention fat, juicy, fresh Maine lobster? Cute waitresses?

Just making sure.

I turned 34 yesterday, now I’m too old to die young and too young to quit, so I guess I’ll just have to keep on until the end; the denouement for you literary types. Here comes another chapter, thanks for reading.

KB

**If things go as planned I will be heading to Peak's Island, ME at the end of the month. I'll be there for until July or so at the least.**

*Peaks Island Community Website
Life ain't linear.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I hope you enjoy life there.

One of my favorite places was up the coast a ways. I was cook at a resort in Boothbay region for a couple of seasons. It started out a bit rough. I took a job at a small inn. Local Lobstermen liked to go there for lunch. It took me a while to get in good with them, but after I managed to make Fish Chowder that was "Not too bad" they started to warm up to me. I even got to go out and help run the pots a couple of times. (Not as fun as it might sound)

And by all means, do tell your stories. There will be at least one reader.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”