My Name is Peridot

along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

Post by along-for-the-ride »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose I was given that name because I was born in August, and the peridot is the gem for that month.

Peridot is also called "the poor mans emerald". I always laugh to myself when that thought crosses my mind.

My mother always told me I was an unexpected surprise. She was 48 years old at the time of my birth and had been a widow for many years. My father was an Apache, a long way from home, who helped my mother in her photography studio for awhile. He was only trying to earn enough money to return home to his people in Arizona. I like to think they found brief comfort with each other in their loneliness. It was a couple months after he had left that my mother discovered that I was to make my arrival. She told me the first thing she did was laugh. Happily.

Now, Georgia is a long way from Arizona. My mother never heard from my father and never tried to look for him. She was planning a life for two only: herself and the child to come. Me. She already estimated my birth to be in August. My father had told her about the Peridot mines in Arizona where he had worked for a time. My mother told me I was her gem. So.........I already had a name waiting for me before I was born. Whether I was a girl-child, or a boy-child , my name was to be Peridot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started my fictional story as an invitation. This is a thread to create your own character and a little story about that character. You make up the name, the place, the circumstance, the time, what your character is like., and what happens to your character. Maybe this is someone you have known, or someone you wish to be. Be creative and have fun with it.

I will be back. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

I have returned to an empty room. There is evidence that I have had visitors by the footprints on the path leading to my room. I unlock the door, come inside and close the door behind me. I hang my keys on the wall. I just stand there for awhile like a statue. The room is silent except for the ticking of my cat clock on the wall. The clock has big moving eyes and a long tail and black It is a purchase from the flea market I visit every Saturday. In fact, my room is filled with flea market finds. Even my scant furnishings and appliances are deals from the flea market. I have a second-hand room. I go to my green loveseat and plop down on it. I am tired from working all day on my feet at recycle plant. I kick off my loafers and sigh. At the age of twenty-five, divorced and childless, I am living a second hand life. The eyes on my clock look left and right, left and right, left and right............always looking for something.
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

:) Here are two website that may give you some incentive to add your own story to this thread.

How to write a short story - Writing Tips - Helium

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creative/shortstory/

Everyone has a story to tell...be it real or fictional. ;)
LarsMac

My Name is Peridot

Post by LarsMac »

I did something of the nature in another forum.

Lars MacDonald's Journals
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

I am so glad you shared your story, LarsMac. Your combination of history and science fiction took me by surprise.

I enjoyed reading it. :)
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

The days run together

And as they do,

They turn to weeks.

Floating as a feather,

In morning dew,

When no one speaks.

The days run together;

Watercolor,

So soft or so bright,

Much as the weather,

One or the other,

Cloud heavy or sun light.

AFTR
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

Underneath the welcome mat,

I'd thought I'd find a key;

But underneath the welcome mat,

No key was left for me.

I pounded on the solid door.

Was someone there to hear?

I leaned against the solid door

In sudden hollow fear.

There had always been "hellos" before

And smiles and warming tea;

And always if no one was home,

I always found a key.

Now, I wait here on the porch

As days and weeks go by.

As spiders weave, I often think

If this is how I'll die.

Underneath the welcome mat

The wood is damp and cold.

Maybe they'll return sometime.

If so, I've not been told.

No key was left for me.

(I wrote this poem when I was a teenager years ago. AFTR)

Attached files
jones jones

My Name is Peridot

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1357834 wrote: Underneath the welcome mat,

No key was left for me.

I pounded on the solid door.

Was someone there to hear?

I leaned against the solid door

In sudden hollow fear.

There had always been "hellos" before

And smiles and warming tea;

And always if no one was home,

I always found a key.

Now, I wait here on the porch

As days and weeks go by.

As spiders weave, I often think

If this is how I'll die.

The wood is damp and cold.

Maybe they'll return sometime.

If so, I've not been told.

No key was left for me.

(I wrote this poem when I was a teenager years ago. AFTR)

This is a well thought out and well written very expressive poem AFTR. I had no idea you enjoyed writing poetry. Its always surprised and saddened me that the writing forum on FG is so poorly supported.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

My Name is Peridot

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1298730 wrote: I have returned to an empty room. There is evidence that I have had visitors by the footprints on the path leading to my room. I unlock the door, come inside and close the door behind me. I hang my keys on the wall. I just stand there for awhile like a statue. The room is silent except for the ticking of my cat clock on the wall. The clock has big moving eyes and a long tail and black It is a purchase from the flea market I visit every Saturday. In fact, my room is filled with flea market finds. Even my scant furnishings and appliances are deals from the flea market. I have a second-hand room. I go to my green loveseat and plop down on it. I am tired from working all day on my feet at recycle plant. I kick off my loafers and sigh. At the age of twenty-five, divorced and childless, I am living a second hand life. The eyes on my clock look left and right, left and right, left and right............always looking for something.

Suddenly I notice that the cat clock face us smiling at me. Surely you're seeing things cos you're tired, I said to myself, but then the cat closes one big eye in a wink! I close my eyes in the hope that when I re-open them I will no longer be hallucinating. No such luck. In fact when I opened my eyes again, not only was that damned cat still there, it was sitting right in front of me washing its face. One glance at the cat clock convinced me that I was seeing things ... it was now simply a clock with out a cat.

"Did I startle you dear girl?" the cat asked, then jumped up onto the loveseat and sat beside me. "Speak up or has the cat got your tongue?"

"Yes you did." I answered shifting away from the cat. "You're a clock not a cat ... you have no right to be sitting here on my loveseat."

"Tsk tsk. Don't be a boring old hairball Peridot. I can by of far more use to you as a cat than a clock."

"Like how and what's your name?"

"Like I am a cat with very special powers and its Ticky."

"Your name's Ticky?"

"AS in Ticky Tocky ... I'm a clock cat."
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Odie

My Name is Peridot

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1298730 wrote: I have returned to an empty room. There is evidence that I have had visitors by the footprints on the path leading to my room. I unlock the door, come inside and close the door behind me. I hang my keys on the wall. I just stand there for awhile like a statue. The room is silent except for the ticking of my cat clock on the wall. The clock has big moving eyes and a long tail and black It is a purchase from the flea market I visit every Saturday. In fact, my room is filled with flea market finds. Even my scant furnishings and appliances are deals from the flea market. I have a second-hand room. I go to my green love seat and plop down on it. I am tired from working all day on my feet at recycle plant. I kick off my loafers and sigh. At the age of twenty-five, divorced and childless, I am living a second hand life. The eyes on my clock look left and right, left and right, left and right............always looking for something.

You do have a visitor, I just found my friend.

I well remember how you and I talked about us having the original old fashioned black plastic cat clocks and how their eyes and black moving tails.

I also remember you posting each room of your home with so many beautiful finds over the years.

You know how we feel at our ages and I know just how tired you have been with an uphill battle on your conscious, body and soul, plus working & workings over-time, so calm down, take a few days of 'me' time all on your own:-4

so let us plop down on your beautiful green love seat, let's not say a word, and just share some tea.

Attached files
Life is just to short for drama.
eraser

My Name is Peridot

Post by eraser »

You have talent, along-for-the-ride. Have you ever tried to get your work published?
Oscar Namechange

My Name is Peridot

Post by Oscar Namechange »

eraser;1366208 wrote: You have talent, along-for-the-ride. Have you ever tried to get your work published?
Yes she should. Very enjoyable reading.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

My Name is Peridot

Thank you all for visitng and posting in this thread. JJ, you contribution is humourous and appreciated.

I really don't have much time for writing. When I do have a chance, I read. Sometimes I have passing thoughts that motivate me to write down on paper. I guess I've always been that way. However, many of these thoughts I just keep inside me in safe-keeping. I've always been the one you can depend on, the responsible one, the quiet one, and mostly, the good girl. But I have found that a good imagination serves it's purpose...sometimes getting you through the "rough times" we all face at times. When I share my thoughts with you, I am sharing an intimate part of myself...but, in the scheme of things, it's really no big deal. We all have dreams, and memories, and our own perspectives. :)
eraser

My Name is Peridot

Post by eraser »

along-for-the-ride;1366319 wrote: Thank you all for visitng and posting in this thread. JJ, you contribution is humourous and appreciated.

I really don't have much time for writing. When I do have a chance, I read. Sometimes I have passing thoughts that motivate me to write down on paper. I guess I've always been that way. However, many of these thoughts I just keep inside me in safe-keeping. I've always been the one you can depend on, the responsible one, and mostly, the good girl. But I have found that a good imagination serves it's purpose...sometimes getting you through the "rough times" we all face at times. When I share my thoughts with you, I am sharing an intimate part of myself...but, in the scheme of things, it's really no big deal. We all have dreams, and memories, and our own perspectives. :)

Well, all of that's true, of course. Writing can serve many purposes. But one of the most noble is to entertain and/or inform others. (And if you make a few bucks along the way, all the better.) ;)
jones jones

My Name is Peridot

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1366319 wrote: Thank you all for visitng and posting in this thread. JJ, you contribution is humourous and appreciated.

I really don't have much time for writing. When I do have a chance, I read. Sometimes I have passing thoughts that motivate me to write down on paper. I guess I've always been that way. However, many of these thoughts I just keep inside me in safe-keeping. I've always been the one you can depend on, the responsible one, the quiet one, and mostly, the good girl. But I have found that a good imagination serves it's purpose...sometimes getting you through the "rough times" we all face at times. When I share my thoughts with you, I am sharing an intimate part of myself...but, in the scheme of things, it's really no big deal. We all have dreams, and memories, and our own perspectives. :)

You're welcome honey. Don't short change yourself cos you're dependable, responsible, quiet and a good girl ... I know without even knowing that you are much, much more than that.

To me having a good imagination equates to being able to fly, When you write you can leave the humdrum of the daily grind and be the hero/heroine of any story you are writing. You can visit any place on earth ... in fact any place in the universe and be whoever you wish to be. You can be young or old, you can go back or forward to any time you like and I so love it!
Kathy Ellen

My Name is Peridot

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Diana,

How come you haven't been writing all of these years. You are a great writer.

Now, I'll go back and read some more.

Remember the camp fire stories! Lots of fun.
Lady J

My Name is Peridot

Post by Lady J »

Along for the Ride....I enjoyed your story and especially the poem woven in. You have a talent for writing. I understand how time can be a restraint as I am currently in a time warp.

Like you I often jot down phrases and then later collect them. I have a file that I call "words of thought." I know JJ has such a file too...I think all good writers do.

I like the fact that you are trying to get others to post their stories; their flights of imagination and more.

One more thing...I really like your screen name. Along for the Ride....;)

Aren't we all!

Lady J :-6

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”