Writing Scenario: Crisis Acute!

Jives

Post by Jives »

Here's a fun writing scenario from one of my night school classes. it based on the outstanding book, "Earth Abides" You don't actually have to do it, but it's fun to think about.

Free Writing: Earth Abides Name__________________

Scenario:

You are in the mountains by yourself, on a hike. You get bitten by a rattlesnake on the leg. Unable to make it back to the car, you lie down. Later... you start to feel very sick all over.

When you wake up, you feel much better, but you realize by your watch that it is two days later. You get back in your car and drive to the nearest town. When you arrive ... there is no one around. The town is completely deserted. You see a newspaper in the window. It reads:

Crisis Acute!

The SuperFlu Crisis that has already killed 65% of the population of the world continues to defy scientists. Some scientists are speculating that the virus is a genetically enhanced bioterror weapon that was accidentally released. All contact has been lost with the continents of Europe, Australia and South America. China reports that they no longer can continue basic services such as electricity and are moving all burials to sea.

The government of the United States is hereby suspended for the duration of the emergency. Local governments will take control of their areas. All survivors should report to the nearest large population center for help with the mass burials.

The paper is dated two days ago. You realize that the snake venom in your leg has probably saved your life. You see a large mound of earth in a field, with a bulldozer parked nearby. After investigating some of the nearby houses, you realize you might be the only person left alive.

Please answer these questions at this point:

1. How do you feel?

2. What will you do first and where will you go?

3. What would you do in the way of survival?

After investigating your home, you find that no-one is left in your neighborhood. You decide to travel to the largest nearby city. There you find that there are actually a few survivors. The first one you meet is an old man who has broken into a bar and is in the last stages of alcohol poisoning.

4. Would you try to help him or not? Why or why not?

5. Would you stay together with him or leave him?

A little later you come across a man carrying a machine gun. He has large amounts of jewelry draped over his shoulders. With him is a girl who looks drunk and is also carrying a pistol. She asks you to join them, but the man just watches warily.

6. Will you join them or walk away? Why or why not?

7. What would happen next if you joined them or what do you think they would do if you declined?

Now you come across a normal person of your age and opposite sex. This person has seen a lot, since they lived through the plague. They cry often and have trouble sleeping.

8. Would you try to take care of them or go your own way?

9. How do you think they feel?

With whoever you joined (or by yourself if you joined no-one) you find a place to live.

10. Where would this place be and why?

The power is out, the food in the supermarkets has spoiled, and there is no running water anymore.

11. What will you do for food?

12. What will you do for water?

13. What will you do when the cars won’t start anymore?

14. With no television available, how will you entertain yourself?

Last question:

15. Would you raise a family in this scenario? Why or why not?
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
minks

Post by minks »

[QUOTE=Jives]Here's a fun writing scenario from one of my night school classes. it based on the outstanding book, "Earth Abides" You don't actually have to do it, but it's fun to think about.

Free Writing: Earth Abides Name__________________

Scenario:

You are in the mountains by yourself, on a hike. You get bitten by a rattlesnake on the leg. Unable to make it back to the car, you lie down. Later... you start to feel very sick all over.

When you wake up, you feel much better, but you realize by your watch that it is two days later. You get back in your car and drive to the nearest town. When you arrive ... there is no one around. The town is completely deserted. You see a newspaper in the window. It reads:

Crisis Acute!

The SuperFlu Crisis that has already killed 65% of the population of the world continues to defy scientists. Some scientists are speculating that the virus is a genetically enhanced bioterror weapon that was accidentally released. All contact has been lost with the continents of Europe, Australia and South America. China reports that they no longer can continue basic services such as electricity and are moving all burials to sea.

The government of the United States is hereby suspended for the duration of the emergency. Local governments will take control of their areas. All survivors should report to the nearest large population center for help with the mass burials.

The paper is dated two days ago. You realize that the snake venom in your leg has probably saved your life. You see a large mound of earth in a field, with a bulldozer parked nearby. After investigating some of the nearby houses, you realize you might be the only person left alive.

Please answer these questions at this point:

1. How do you feel? ...Scared and lonely but a bit excited

2. What will you do first and where will you go?...First I would go forage for food, then I would try and make my way to my parents to see if by any small hope they made it, then wander aimlessly hoping to find a lone male as this would be tragic to see human kind on this content just end.

3. What would you do in the way of survival?...I would fish, eat forest greenery, buggs, and anything else I could get my hands on.

After investigating your home, you find that no-one is left in your neighborhood. You decide to travel to the largest nearby city. There you find that there are actually a few survivors. The first one you meet is an old man who has broken into a bar and is in the last stages of alcohol poisoning.

4. Would you try to help him or not? Why or why not? ...Yes I would try and help him he may be the last male I was talking about (see above) I suppose if he grew beligerant I would take him out ahahahaha

5. Would you stay together with him or leave him? I would stay together with him, he may be useless but I wouldn't be so dam alone, for awhile anyway.

A little later you come across a man carrying a machine gun. He has large amounts of jewelry draped over his shoulders. With him is a girl who looks drunk and is also carrying a pistol. She asks you to join them, but the man just watches warily.

6. Will you join them or walk away? Why or why not?... Join them, maybe if I become friendly with them I could eventually get to have a gun and then try my hand at hunting.

7. What would happen next if you joined them or what do you think they would do if you declined? If I joined them I would hope they were prowling around to do goo. If I declined they may shoot me and well if hungry enough use me as a meal or 2

Now you come across a normal person of your age and opposite sex. This person has seen a lot, since they lived through the plague. They cry often and have trouble sleeping.

8. Would you try to take care of them or go your own way? ...Try and take care of them.

9. How do you think they feel? ...scared, alone, horrified, confused.

With whoever you joined (or by yourself if you joined no-one) you find a place to live.

10. Where would this place be and why? Hmm I joined everyone dam I am a party girl.... ok live, well on the edge of the woods. Close to water. Woods for shelter and food and perhaps catch some more snakes and bottle the venum. Water obviously for survival and dishes (hehehe could not resist)

The power is out, the food in the supermarkets has spoiled, and there is no running water anymore.

11. What will you do for food? See above, hunt and fish and eat the vegitation

12. What will you do for water? Ok did I miss something are the streams all dried up?? I would suspect there was clean water someplace if the snake that bit me survived.

13. What will you do when the cars won’t start anymore? Re-invent the wheel and build me a spanky bike, heck I guess walk, or look for a horse, or cow or some large animal to ride

14. With no television available, how will you entertain yourself? Ahahahahaha love that one, hopscotch is good. I would keep active hike, walk, jog, if I found paper and pen, pencil, write, found books read, build shelters, ummm talk to the folks I met along the way.

Last question:

15. Would you raise a family in this scenario? Why or why not?

Yes I would as I could not imagine not carrying on man kind, it just can't end with me.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”