Haibun 1

chonsigirl

Haibun 1

Post by chonsigirl »

(A haibun is like a journal entry, with haiku or tanka within it)

My haibun, which happened tonight:

The phenomena of holiday decorating and merriment are unknown in a household that revolves around an invalid. Spare time is spent doing the same round of daily chores, as the calendar progresses without awareness.

time stops

the cat knocks

a clock off the wall

Gathering up remnants of Christmas joy from my students, I hurry home to begin the usual routine. After dinner and settling my husband in front of the television, I venture upstairs to wash dishes. A loud knock on the door stops me in mid-bubbles:

starry night

the Christmas carols wind

around Orion’s belt

The teen choir had come to sing for me, and I wanted to awaken the remembrance of Christmas for my husband also. I asked them to wait, and give me time to get him up the stairs. As he climbed up the stairs, their voices were tittering in anticipation of his entrance, for they knew the physical ordeal it would take for him to get there. When the door opened, they sang carols he knew from long ago, and he sang with them.

soft refrains

from Christmas’ past,

a voice is heard~

singing the words etched

upon his memory

With a shy smile for their song, the teens clapped with joy that he remembered the lines and could sing them. Christmas miracles still happen today, and my husband smiled in return for the happiness of their gift of song.
watermark

Haibun 1

Post by watermark »

What you wrote below was very touching, Chonsi. I didn't know this was your situation.

"time stops

the cat knocks

a clock off the wall"

:-4 Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Erin
chonsigirl

Haibun 1

Post by chonsigirl »

:-4 Thank you Erin, it was a wonderful night.
watermark

Haibun 1

Post by watermark »

chonsigirl;744418 wrote: :-4 Thank you Erin, it was a wonderful night.

:-6

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”