Haikus

ashleydoom

Haikus

Post by ashleydoom »

Personally in school I despised them. After school I took them up and had fun with them. Here are a few old silly ones. I have tons of them written down somewhere. I'll have to dig for them sometime.

look into my eyes.

don't be distracted by my

neon green jumpsuit

"The cutest boy on

Death Row." A glint of braces.

"He's mysterious!"

my personal favorite,..

when the binder clicks

and coach harmony is in

the small truck, im scared.

Coach Harmony was obviously a gym coach. Why do Gym Coaches always seem to be 240 to 300 pounds of lard? At least the health teachers were healthy looking in school. Don't get me wrong I love fat people, I just find it ironic that GYM teachers were so huge, and not an ounce on muscle. The best part was they have these gigantic egos like there perfectly healthy. DENIAL. Then they tell you to go run 10 laps.

My newest,..

when high in my youth

i was better with haikus

miss the stoner spark

allergies to hair

yet you are the only one

who i cuddle with

(referring to my dogs)

I'm a haiku nerd.

You guys and girls should post some Haikus.

5,7,5 - In case you forgot.

I need to start writing more. They're fun.

:D :D :D :D
chonsigirl

Haikus

Post by chonsigirl »

Haikus are written in 5-7-5 syllable format, or less.

You have some interesting ones to begin with. Haiku focuses on images, the aspect of emotions are relayed throughout the choice of words. They don't have to be statements, in fact the reader needs to make that intuitive leap when reading them.

"The cutest boy on

Death Row." A glint of braces.

"He's mysterious!"

a smile

from Death Row

glint of braces

That is one way you could show it-L3 leaves the interpretation open to the smile itself, or the row of bars secluding the prisoner from the viewer. L3, "He's mysterious," is already invoked by the whole haiku itself.

I hope you do not mind my comments, but since I write haiku and have alot published, I thought I would add my observations.

If you want to start a renga, let me know, I would be happy to join in the fun............
ashleydoom

Haikus

Post by ashleydoom »

Thanks for the info. :]

I don't ever plan on publishing any Haikus. I just do it for fun. I also never knew a Haiku could be less than 5-7-5. I guess i blame that on the teachers.

I don't think i would ever publish anything. I plan on actually collaborating with my mother to write a book. Written from memories, experiences and thoughts. I want to do this for us. Kinda like a book that could be passed down for generations. Maybe even have it in writing so future generations can write in it also. It's just an idea. I'll have to push and shove my mom into writing. I think she would love to have a book like that though.
chonsigirl

Haikus

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, make your mom write-you want to save those memories she has. And you do very well with your haiku-they are loads of fun.

Here is my silly one (a silly haiku is known as a senryu)

deflation

the high cost of sitting

on a whoppie cushion
ashleydoom

Haikus

Post by ashleydoom »

chonsigirl;710640 wrote: Oh, make your mom write-you want to save those memories she has. And you do very well with your haiku-they are loads of fun.

Here is my silly one (a silly haiku is known as a senryu)

deflation

the high cost of sitting

on a whoppie cushion

A senryu. I'll have to remember that.

I love your Haiku. So funny!

:wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:
chonsigirl

Haikus

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you Ashley.

This is from today, my husband and I went to get our hair cut. While I was sitting there.....

hair stylist

with the final clip

a hiccup

It scared me! With scissors in her hands! :wah:
spot

Haikus

Post by spot »

The 5-7-5 pattern isn't just for haiku, it allows a very emphatic metre for english verse as well. I have a copy of Harold Morland's "The Matter of Britain", written in 1984, in which episodes of Arthurian legend are recalled. He keeps the story running through the entire length of the book in exactly that rhythm and it's a powerful telling of the tale, I'm glad I found it.

Here's a taste of how he works it: First came a young man,

his hair radiant as fine gold

in leaping fire-light,

bearing a white lance

that seemed too pure for the use

of dusty battle;

but from its steel head

a drop of slow blood dripped down

to the young man’s hand.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Haikus

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I am going to have to get that book-that is really cool, spot.
spot

Haikus

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;710702 wrote: Oh, I am going to have to get that book-that is really cool, spot.

I'll be interested if you manage to find it. I idly went to look and got more and more puzzled.

Amazon's not got one.

Abebooks hasn't heard of it either.

Now for the big one - the catalogue of the British Library doesn't list it either. Never, ever, have I gone looking for a reference at the British Library and not found what I was looking for in the catalogue, it's practically Holy Writ.

Library of Congress Online Catalog: Your search found no results.

I know I have the right title, I know I have the right author - I own the book. I've read it several times. I've thought of it for years as one of the more important poems of the last seventy years. Suddenly it turns out to be obscure to the point of non-existence. How baffling life gets on occasion!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Haikus

Post by chonsigirl »

I am looking too, here is the reference:

Morland, Harold. The Matter of Britain. With an intro. by Kathleen Raine. Frome, Somerset: The Hunting Raven Press for Graal Publications, 1984.
Kathy Ellen

Haikus

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks Ashley,

I love Haikus... Wrote this little ditty when I was in grade school.

The snow is falling

All around me is quiet

It is so peaceful.

ashleydoom

Haikus

Post by ashleydoom »

I never thought I would gain so much information for a little post. Thanks for all the info guys. :]

I like your Haiku Kathy.

I love winter, and snow is the best thing ever!

I like the photos too! :)
Kathy Ellen

Haikus

Post by Kathy Ellen »

ashleydoom;711055 wrote: I never thought I would gain so much information for a little post. Thanks for all the info guys. :]

I like your Haiku Kathy.

I love winter, and snow is the best thing ever!

I like the photos too! :)

And we like you too at the Forum Garden Ashley.....Welcome:-6

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”