Am thinking of writing a short childrens story

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

What do you think of this. As I have mentioned, I belong to, and am a moderator for a small animal forum. I have been writing an ongoing thread there about the adventures of Trixie, my chinchilla. I started with the premise of wondering to myself where she goes when she runs so fast and for so long in her exercise wheel. So, I have a storyline where she visits a virtual comunity, where she visits with her furling friends..other chinchillas and guinea pigs. One of the other members has added to the story that her guinea pigs have built a landing bay on thier porch where Trixie can land her wheel and park it. I have gotten permission from some of the other members of that forum to use the names and drawn images of thier animals in the story.

I pretty much have the story written, in the thread on the forum. Would just have to tighten it, and re write some parts. But I would need someone to illustrate it. I was thinking of a small printing, for limited release.

So, where do I go from here? We have some colleges here with good art departments, so I thought I could maybe find a student who would do the illustrations and then have them for his or her portfollio.

Would like some feed back from folks here. Thanks.
libertine

Post by libertine »

Sounds like a really cute idea!! If you are planning only private distribution, by all means, go to the art department. However, if you plan to submit your story to a publisher, they will find their own illustrator. Publishers have people they work with regularly.

If you publish it yourself, you can probably find someone locally who will do on demand printing for you, including illustrations. Remember that color is very expensive but may ultimately be worth it to enhance the story line.

Good luck!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

libertine wrote: Sounds like a really cute idea!! If you are planning only private distribution, by all means, go to the art department. However, if you plan to submit your story to a publisher, they will find their own illustrator. Publishers have people they work with regularly.

If you publish it yourself, you can probably find someone locally who will do on demand printing for you, including illustrations. Remember that color is very expensive but may ultimately be worth it to enhance the story line.

Good luck!

Thanks. I definatly want some color, even if simple for the drawings. I am definatly looking forward to this project.

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”