My Life As A Waitress

DesignerGal

My Life As A Waitress

Post by DesignerGal »

My Life As A Waitress: (A work in Progress)

And dont freakin copy it cuz its already been copyrighted!!!!

Waitressing sucks. Everyone who is a waitress hates it. Most everyone hasn’t done it. Those who haven’t are horrible tippers. Everyone who has waited tables will tell the world everyone should waitress for at least a year of their life. Maybe if Saddam, George W., Osama, and the others had ever waited tables, the world would be a better place. It teaches patience, respect, determination, and most important financial responsibility. Everyone says waitresses make a killing. Oh yeah? What about the paychecks we get every two weeks that have been sucked dry for taxes? Did you know that we only make $ 2.13 an hour? Did you know the average paycheck for a waitress is around $ 6.00 every two weeks? Did you know the average tip is 10%? Did you know a common stereotype is that African Americans leave smaller tips? This is completely untrue. Its actually Christians and then the elderly come in a close second.

Aside from the money part there is that little virtue: Patience. You have to be patient with children, ignorant people, rude people, and even demanding people…or you don’t get paid. One time I was waiting on a table that consisted of a young black family: a man, a woman, and a small child. It was probably one of the best tables of my waitressing life. The child was throwing food the whole time. The young mom kept apologizing and trying to keep the table at least a little clean. There were fries all over the floor, drinks spilled and running off the edge of the table. As I brought the woman the check she apologized again. I told her, “don’t worry about it. Its fine. I have to clean my section anyway and you were my last table.” I was fuming on the inside but at least she was nice. I dropped the check off and walked into the kitchen out of sight. I returned a moment later and there was money on the table and the table was completely clean. The fries had even been picked up off the floor and piled on a napkin on the edge of the table. Silverware was gathered and placed in a neat row so I could just swipe it up and take it to the dish area. I picked up the check and the money and unfolded it. The check total was $ 20.13. The tip was $ 10.00. She must have been a waitress because that never happens. I am usually left picking up French fries soaked in child slobber and then seeing a 10% tip.

HBIC
Lon

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Lon »

DesignerGal wrote: My Life As A Waitress: (A work in Progress)

And dont freakin copy it cuz its already been copyrighted!!!!

Waitressing sucks. Everyone who is a waitress hates it. Most everyone hasn’t done it. Those who haven’t are horrible tippers. Everyone who has waited tables will tell the world everyone should waitress for at least a year of their life. Maybe if Saddam, George W., Osama, and the others had ever waited tables, the world would be a better place. It teaches patience, respect, determination, and most important financial responsibility. Everyone says waitresses make a killing. Oh yeah? What about the paychecks we get every two weeks that have been sucked dry for taxes? Did you know that we only make $ 2.13 an hour? Did you know the average paycheck for a waitress is around $ 6.00 every two weeks? Did you know the average tip is 10%? Did you know a common stereotype is that African Americans leave smaller tips? This is completely untrue. Its actually Christians and then the elderly come in a close second.

Aside from the money part there is that little virtue: Patience. You have to be patient with children, ignorant people, rude people, and even demanding people…or you don’t get paid. One time I was waiting on a table that consisted of a young black family: a man, a woman, and a small child. It was probably one of the best tables of my waitressing life. The child was throwing food the whole time. The young mom kept apologizing and trying to keep the table at least a little clean. There were fries all over the floor, drinks spilled and running off the edge of the table. As I brought the woman the check she apologized again. I told her, “don’t worry about it. Its fine. I have to clean my section anyway and you were my last table.” I was fuming on the inside but at least she was nice. I dropped the check off and walked into the kitchen out of sight. I returned a moment later and there was money on the table and the table was completely clean. The fries had even been picked up off the floor and piled on a napkin on the edge of the table. Silverware was gathered and placed in a neat row so I could just swipe it up and take it to the dish area. I picked up the check and the money and unfolded it. The check total was $ 20.13. The tip was $ 10.00. She must have been a waitress because that never happens. I am usually left picking up French fries soaked in child slobber and then seeing a 10% tip.

I hear you----------as one who had a mother and older sisters that waitressed I kniow how important tips are and I tip generously. I also agree about seniors being rotten tippers. When I see them leave 50 cents for a 15 dollar meal I get on their ass.
Saffron

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Saffron »

I've never been a waitress for the exact reasons you wrote about. I have NO patience for rude people and children. I knew this at a really young age, so never tried it.:thinking:
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
valerie

My Life As A Waitress

Post by valerie »

I hope that's a typo... 6 bucks every two weeks? In 1950, maybe!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

mrsK wrote: I waitress & get $17 per hour .I like the work hate the rude people:-6
You get $17/hour when you include your tips, correct? That's not your hourly rate, is it?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

buttercup

My Life As A Waitress

Post by buttercup »

done it, wont do it again, got lots of stories but the one that really sticks out is the little girl who said thank you when i lifted her plate

her mother looked at her unapprovingly & said - you dont have to thank them!!!
weeder

My Life As A Waitress

Post by weeder »

I waitressed from the time I was 17 years old until way into my 40s. I always loved it, This is my view on waitressing. It is like being in business for yourself. You are provided with the product, the clients and the location. You go out there knowing what you are selling, and present it. Of course a lot has to do with the calibur of the place one is working in. Also doing it to supplement a main income, is very different than relying on the money to survive. Ive lived both circumstances. Part of the country you are working in is a big factor also. In New York... 15 years ago.. in a rather nice steak house type restaurant, I could go home with 150.00 on a Friday or Saturday night. Came down to Virginia. Thought Id waitress while looking for something else. What a shock!! Try 9.00 for a night.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Peg

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Peg »

You can tell the ones that work with the public and the ones that rely on tips. They are the nicest customers and the best tippers. I've always tipped every where, but now that I rely on tips I find I am a much better tipper than I used to be. Yes, you have rude, obnoxious customers, and then again, you have the ones you are actually happy to see coming in. Many places around here only pay $2 to $4 an hour for people who get tips. I would be looking for something else. Where I work, we are the highest paid bartenders around here per hour, and the tips are pretty good considering I work mainly with WWII vets.
spot

My Life As A Waitress

Post by spot »

I've not seen English customs described yet. OK then, my turn.

I had a full time bar shift for six months.

That needs a lot of expansion - the pub was the White Horse opposite Leicester's Victoria Park. It had three bars, the Snug (admission by invitation of the manager), the Lounge (carpet, padded seats) and the Public (sawdust, wooden benches and stools). After a couple of weeks training in the Lounge (which had two staff on a shift) I was given the option of running the Public (on my own) and jumped at it. I never got to see the inside of the Snug, either then or since.

So, we had regulars and I knew their names. I was polite, the customers were polite, good order was never a problem in there, I much prefered it to the Lounge. There was room to seat thirty and by the final couple of hours it was usually around that many, and some in the garden at the back as well.

I may be blanking things from this distance, but I believe I'm not. In my six months there I was never offered a single tip, and neither would I have known how to react other than with shock had one been proffered. I had a generally recognised self-imposed limit of one pint a night while working, and that invariably came through inclusion in a couple of rounds during the evening - "you'll have a half yourself, I hope" was the polite way of offering. They'd include me in discussion of the day's news too, in much the same way.

I have never known matters to vary from this picture from then until now. That's how English bars are. Maybe there's one or two who might corroborate that?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

My Life As A Waitress

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: PS My first job was bussing tables in a small German restaurant. I quickly found out it wasn't the job for me when some drunk old guy grabbed my 17 year old ass.:rolleyes:It's all changed over there since then, Snooze - they had a Reformation which cracked down on the drunk old guy in bars syndrome (and indulgences in general).
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

My Life As A Waitress

Post by cars »

"Tipping" can be a controversal subject. I sometimes wonder about the percentage aspect of the bill approach. When in a resturant, if a person chooses to have a $25 steak, rather than a $10 dollar burger, they seem to be penalized. Because using the percentage approach, 20% of $25 is $5 tip, VS $2 tip on the burger. As for waitressing, the amount of steps are exactally the same from the kitchen to your table for either platter. So why the difference in expected tip? And that percentage increases exponentially if you decide to have a $30 bottle of wine, VS a $2 soda. Again the steps are the same for delivery. Would it be fairer for all resturants to to have a set tip for normal service? Like for Breakfast $1.50 pp, Lunch $2.50 pp & Dinner $ $4.50 pp? A little similar as to what is done on Cruise ships. :thinking: And of course, if the service was exceptional, it could be rewarded accordingly if desired.
Cars :)
spot

My Life As A Waitress

Post by spot »

cars wrote: "Tipping" can be a controversal subject.Not unreasonably, I'd have thought. What's wrong with paying service staff a living wage and letting this demeaning relic of class deference die a well-earned death?

In England, you're either brought a bill (or "check" in American) or in a cheap "cafe" (as opposed to a restaurant) you pay at the till on the way out. In the cafe it's commonplace to leave a tip at the table. The other occasions where tipping still exists, besides that, is cabs and porters. I don't think I've had a porter in my life in England.

Anyway - to the point. Restaurants. There's been a shift in thinking, and tipping has all but disappeared there. Restaurants now conventionally charge more in order to pay their staff more reasonably. To encourage good service they invite customers to reduce their own bills by 15% whenever they feel either the service or the quality was not up to their expectation. Everyone seems quite happy with that arrangement. What it is not, any longer, is discretionary tipping, and I'm delighted.
bigears

My Life As A Waitress

Post by bigears »

I seem to remember seeing a large sign at Auckland International Airport when I visited many years ago: "Leaving a tip is not appreciated in New Zealand. Please don't do it." Or something along those lines.

PS NZ certainly the most beautiful country I've ever been to. :D
BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

cars wrote: "Tipping" can be a controversal subject. I sometimes wonder about the percentage aspect of the bill approach. When in a resturant, if a person chooses to have a $25 steak, rather than a $10 dollar burger, they seem to be penalized. Because using the percentage approach, 20% of $25 is $5 tip, VS $2 tip on the burger. As for waitressing, the amount of steps are exactally the same from the kitchen to your table for either platter. So why the difference in expected tip? And that percentage increases exponentially if you decide to have a $30 bottle of wine, VS a $2 soda. Again the steps are the same for delivery. Would it be fairer for all resturants to to have a set tip for normal service? Like for Breakfast $1.50 pp, Lunch $2.50 pp & Dinner $ $4.50 pp? A little similar as to what is done on Cruise ships. :thinking: And of course, if the service was exceptional, it could be rewarded accordingly if desired.
Cars, while I have no idea of the practices of tipping in other countries, here in the US, if a tip is not given that is at least 8% of the total bill, it cost the waitress money to serve you. That's how they figure our taxes. 8% of our sales is what we are taxed on.

While my tips average way more than 8% of my sales, it's because I give exceptional service.

So, it's not "delivery" you are paying for, it's service. The only reason people go out to eat is to be waited on. There's not much of anything on any menu that I can't go buy the ingredients for and make at home. When I go out, I go out to be waited on. And they better do a damn good job, because I'm the worst customer in the world. Critical, picky, and demanding. Because I PAY for that service, in the form of a tip. A fabulous tip when it's earned.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Lon

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Lon »

They just don't tip in New Zealand or Australia. It's not the custom. The service in most eating establishments reflects that as well.
DesignerGal

My Life As A Waitress

Post by DesignerGal »

BabyRider wrote: Cars, while I have no idea of the practices of tipping in other countries, here in the US, if a tip is not given that is at least 8% of the total bill, it cost the waitress money to serve you. That's how they figure our taxes. 8% of our sales is what we are taxed on.

While my tips average way more than 8% of my sales, it's because I give exceptional service.

So, it's not "delivery" you are paying for, it's service. The only reason people go out to eat is to be waited on. There's not much of anything on any menu that I can't go buy the ingredients for and make at home. When I go out, I go out to be waited on. And they better do a damn good job, because I'm the worst customer in the world. Critical, picky, and demanding. Because I PAY for that service, in the form of a tip. A fabulous tip when it's earned.

:yh_worshp :yh_worshp

HBIC
BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

mrsK wrote: Sorry I haven't been back to this,been a bit busy.

I get $17 per hour waitressing, that is without trips.

I get $15 perhour behind the bar ,that is without tips:-6 :-6

I love both jobs,& the paycheck;)
That's friggin' AWESOME money. Do they tip in Australia?

It's funny, that's backwards from here...bartenders make a higher hourly rate than waitresses do.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Sheryl

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Sheryl »

My oldest niece waited tables all through out college. Now when we eat out together she gets out her calculator and figures exactly 15% for tips, unless the service is crappy. I've started doing the same thing now. Also on most the menus around here there's a note on bottom that sais "parties of 8 or more will have a 20% tip figured in the bill" After reading about the tips in ya'll area makes me wonder if we tip to much in the south. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

Sheryl wrote: My oldest niece waited tables all through out college. Now when we eat out together she gets out her calculator and figures exactly 15% for tips, unless the service is crappy. I've started doing the same thing now. Also on most the menus around here there's a note on bottom that sais "parties of 8 or more will have a 20% tip figured in the bill" After reading about the tips in ya'll area makes me wonder if we tip to much in the south. :wah:
It surprises me that a person who was in the food service industry would be so concerned about tipping exactly 15%. Around here, our customers who are also servers/bartenders tip way over the norm. As I do with them when I go to their places of work.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Sheryl

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Sheryl »

I think she is just being honest in giving them the norm of 15% and on top of the bill that's all she can afford. She's a teacher now and sais she made more money sometimes as a waitress.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

Sheryl wrote: I think she is just being honest in giving them the norm of 15% and on top of the bill that's all she can afford. She's a teacher now and sais she made more money sometimes as a waitress.
Oh don't I know it!!! I make 3 times the money tending bar that I did when I was a vet tech. It's sad, because if I could afford it, I'd never do anything else but tech. I love the money as a bartender, but I like my clients at the animal hospital better. :wah:
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

My Life As A Waitress

Post by BabyRider »

mrsK wrote: I don't get many tips waitressing but get a fair bit behind the bar,we keep the tips & have a party or go out for dinner when there is enough in the tip jar,for all 12 to go out & not pay for a thing:-6

Now for the bit you are really going to love BR,when I waitress at a private function,wedding,party ,home party etc I earn $20 an hr ,because I have been the head waitress for 6 yrs. I usually just organize the tables,settings etc & ask the girls which tables they would like to wait on,then I do what is left.It works well & we all get on well:-6

Love my boss

I like to tip when I go out.
How odd to me, that you don't get tipped waitressing, but do as a bartender.

NICE being head waitress, isn't it? :sneaky:
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Maristar87

My Life As A Waitress

Post by Maristar87 »

I didn't waitress but I was a hostess for about a month at a sports bar. It was hell on earth. I applied for a part-time position and I ended up getting 50+ hour weeks. I could handle the work, the customers, and even the "Canadian tippers", but I couldn't handle my co-workers whom happened to be about 30 teenage girls.

I've never been treated so poorly in my life. Kudos to everyone who deals with that drama.

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”