Foamer. continued

deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

Chapter 7

"Julia, can you hear me?”

“Julia it’s me Ian, can you hear me?”

She could here him and she slowly opened her eyes.

“Oh, it’s so good to see you coming round, I have been really worried ever since they phoned me and told me to get over here.

How are you feeling?”

She couldn’t speak at first and reached out for a glass of water. Looking around she found herself in a hospital bed with a drip in her arm and some other monitoring equipment bleeping occasionally, next to her.

“Here you are, drink it slowly now”

“Where am I, and what am I doing lying here in this bed?”

“I got a phone call on Friday morning from Mr Widmark, he said that you were in a lot of pain and that they were going to have to operate on you there and then. Something to do with your stomach, some sort of poisoning. You were very lucky to have a good team on that morning and the operation went very well.”

“That’s, rubbish Ian, you don’t want to believe a word of it”

“What do you mean? What are you saying? I rushed over here and you looked in a bad way. I’m so pleased you pulled through. The doctors told me it was touch and go.

They were lucky to have caught the virus in time.”

“Ian, I’m telling you it’s all lies, I was talking to Richard this morning and then Doctor Phelps came in the room and starting threatening him. Next thing I know that Pratt Michael is standing in the doorway. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. They were going to tell me about something that is happening here at the hospital.

There was this Indian looking woman on the screen she was talking to them from somewhere abroad. I tried to get out of there and then I felt something in my arm. I fell down and must have passed out.”

“Slow down, you’re not making any sense, you can’t have been talking to anyone this morning, you’ve been out cold since Friday.”

“What day is it Ian, What day is it??”

“There’s no need to shout, calm down, you’ve just come round from being in some sort of coma for the past five days, it’s Wednesday Love and I’ve been here day and night waiting for you to come back to me.”

“Wednesday, did you say Wednesday? What happened to the meeting on Monday? Did they get told about what we found when we were going through everybody’s details?”

“The meeting was cancelled Julia”

“Hello Mr, Widmark, Look Julia is at last awake isn’t it good news”

“ Yes, very good, I’ll call a nurse to come in they have been monitoring your progress very closely.”

“What did you say about the meeting Richard?”

Well, that’s all they could do having lost all the personnel files in the fire, they had no choice but to postpone it.

What a mess it is downstairs we’ve lost everything Julia, all our work.

Hopefully the records at the payroll center can be obtained easily that’s all I can say.”

“But, Richard what about last Friday? What are you and Phelps up too?”

“I haven’t got a clue what it is your on about Julia, look you have been very ill, it was lucky that I found you in the office when I did, Our hospital has had quite a lot of cases like yours over a long time now.

The virus must have been spread amongst the staff somehow. We have people looking into it now and hopefully they’ll get to the bottom of it.”

“What do you mean cases? What cases are you on about, none of this is making any sense.”

“Ah, Julia at last you have come out of that coma you were in, we were very worried about you weren’t we Michael”

There in the doorway of her room were Michael and Kath; they had some flowers and a card. They gave Julia a hug each and gave her the card.

“ Aren’t you going to open your card love, it’s nice of your workmates to come and see you. They have dropped by several times to see how you are.”

It wished her a quick recovery and was signed

`Love Michael & Kath xx`

“Were so pleased your O.K it was such a shock finding out about what happened. We seem to be getting a lot of these `foamer` attacks at the hospital lately, I wonder what’s causing it?”

“No one seems to know babe and what with the fire and all its making working here feel weird if you ask me.”

“Now then Julia you get better real quick and we’ll see you when we get back from our hols.”

“Are you two seeing each other, and what do you mean holiday?”

“Yeah, cause we are I thought you would have realised that one, slow coach, and with the department out of action for at least a month

Mr. Widmark has told us to take a few weeks off”

With so much happening in the room the nurse started to ask people to leave and give the `patient` some room.

Richard and Ian were the only two who stayed.

“I’ve called Doctor Phelps.”

“Did you say Phelps?”

“That’s right, he insisted, you’re a very lucky lady if you ask me, he has dealt with you personally. From the moment you needed surgery up to today he has been `overseeing` everything.

Your in safe hands with him, he’s the best there is in this hospital.”

The nurse left the room and in walked Doctor Phelps his face beaming and his eyes looked like they were coming out of their sockets.

“ How wonderful to see you awake and sitting up my dear absolutely brilliant. The nurse tells me you’re a little confused but other than that you seem to be making excellent progress.

Now, if I could ask everybody to step outside for just a moment whilst I examine the patient.”

The room emptied and he pulled a screen around the bed.

“Now then Julia, lets look at that dressing,

The thought of having Phelps doing this made her feel like throwing up. She had always thought he was a creepy looking bloke and here he was, `examining` her.

“Before you say anything Julia, I’d like to point out a few very crucial things to you.”

“I knew it, you slimey bastard, what are you and the others up to, what’s all this `Foamer` crap people keep referring too?”

“You just had to stick your nose in, didn’t you?

Compiling a whole wad of statistics would have bored the pants of most people, but not the Miss Marple of Darent Hospital.”

“All I noticed were some anomalies, but now I realise there’s a lot more behind them, so tell me Doctor what is it?

It has to be pretty big for you to try and shut me up”

“Now is not the right time, all you need to know is that `we` have implanted a device beneath your skin and it is linked by radio waves to all of `us`.

If any one of us detects that you are making any trouble

what so ever we can activate the `device` and with-in seconds you will be dead.”

Julia froze, what the hell was happening, it must be some sort of dream she thought.

In a moment I’ll wake up and everything will be back to normal.

She looked down to where the scar was and she could see a faint light pulsing below the skin.

“Get this thing out of me Phelps or I will tell the police everything you don’t frighten me, we’re in a hospital in Kent for god sake, not some American T.V hospital soap.”

With that Phelps pulled out an ordinary looking Mobile phone.

“All I have to do is push two buttons Julia, that’s all it will take.

Any one of us can do the same, isn’t that so Ian”.

Ian emerged from behind the screen, holding an identical phone.

“That’s right Julia, any one of us, you’ll understand everything very soon and come to realise that what is happening will be so good for us.

Phelps, Richard and the rest of them, even Michael, all of us and now you, are going to be so much better off.”

“ Ian, what the hell is going on, what do you mean all of us, what have you got to do with all this?”

“ They came to me a few days ago, said they were worried about you, all this nonsense about doctors not recording what they were up too. It was a lot of fuss about something that shouldn’t have been noticed.

Why you, they asked? And then they showed me, showed me everything and told me how things would change if only I could stop you from exposing `it`. “
deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

CHAPTER 8

“ Get this thing out of me Ian, don’t just stand there staring at me, can’t you see what these people are up too. They have made you do this and I’m telling you to put a stop to it NOW.”

They weren’t listening to a word she was saying Julia was shouting at them and had started to try and get out of bed.

“I wouldn’t try anything Julia remember what Phelps has told you, Don’t think they won’t push the button, they will do whatever it takes to keep in control of things.”

Phelps pushed the call button and with-in seconds two nurses ran into the room.

“We will have to sedate the patient she is un-controllable at this time and we must prevent her from harming herself. “

With the nurses restraining Julia Phelps jabbed a syringe into her arm and Julia began to feel drowsy, she continued to shout

“Get this thing out of me” until she fell into a deep sleep.

“Thank- you we can take it from here”

The nurses left the room.

“Ian, you have got to get to grips with this, we can not and will not allow anything to jeopardise our plans. Once she is well enough to go home you must continue to watch her every move, is that understood?”

“Yes, Phelps, leave it to me I know how important it is for the `plan` to work, don’t worry once we are on that plane things will improve I promise you.”

“Just remember it is vital that you act immediately when you receive my message you will only a few minutes before she will become ill.

“ How will I know if the implant is working? I mean once I get your message what do I look out for? What will happen Phelps?”

“So many questions, all of them are nothing to get so worked up about, listen carefully Ian. Once you have received a text from me on your mobile, shortly afterwards Julia will begin to foam at the mouth. It is nothing to worry about; she will feel lightheaded and will need to sit down. You must react, call for help just act naturally as if you have no idea what is happening.

Once the ambulance arrives insist that she is to be seen by

Dr Farrooq.

Farrooq will be waiting at the entrance to the Emergency lobby, as she will have been informed that you are on your way in.”

“That’s it, I mean it sounds to good to be true,

How do I know it’s going to work?

What sort of danger will she be in, what if the ambulance takes too long to get to us?

It’s a city in India we’re talking about here. Since when do things run that smoothly over there? “

“Stop panicking will you, you seem to forget how eager you were to sign up for this, you can always pull out, it’s not too late, but remember this sort of money your getting for this job will never come your way again.

You do need the money don’t you Ian, how else are you going to pay off all those debts that your good lady wife here knows nothing about.”

“ Just shut it Phelps, of course I need the money, but nothing better go wrong with this or I’ll,”

“ Or you’ll what, Ian?

Who the hell do you think your talking too?

You need us, and don’t you ever forget that. Just get out there and get the job done. When you get back you’ll get the other half of the payment.

Back that is with that precious cargo that Julia will be carrying for us, just as Kath and Michael are doing, and just as all the other carriers have done so far.

None of the runs have gone wrong yet and that’s the way it’s going to stay, as long as everyone does their part nothing can go wrong.”
deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

Chapter 9

Julia opened her eyes, they felt heavy and at first she couldn’t see clearly. She was in a hospital room but she had no idea how long she had been asleep, what time it was and even what day it was.

Feeling weak she managed to sit up in bed and have a better look at her surroundings. The room seemed normal but there was no sign of a buzzer to call someone. Stepping out of bed her legs were like jelly as she staggered over to the door and found it to be locked. No surprise there, climbing back into the bed she thought about what was going to happen next and how best to deal with it.

Looking down to where something had glowed inside her body she couldn’t see the glow now and only the faintest line was there.

Just what was it that she had inside her, the thought of it made her feel ill. Thinking things through very carefully she decided exactly what to do next.

It wasn’t long before she could hear the door being un-locked.

In walked a nurse with a tray of food.

“ Hello Julia, it’s good to see you awake at last, How are you feeling now a lot better I expect?”

“ Yes, thanks much better, and I’m hungry, is there someone around I could see nurse?”

“The doctors will be with you shortly, I’m sure they will be as pleased as I am that you are feeling a lot better.”

As soon as the nurse had left the room a couple of doctors accompanied Phelps into the room.

“Nice to see you looking better Julia, How are you feeling?”

“Oh, much better now thanks, I’m looking forward to getting home as soon as I can, can you tell me when that will be?”

“Just a few days and if you continue to improve I can’t see a problem with you going home then. You have been through a very traumatic time and we just want to make sure that you are completely recovered first.”

“Yes, I understand Doctor, Who are your sidekicks there? Do they speak? Or maybe they need a reward first!”

“ How rude of me. Let me introduce Dr Siat, and Dr Mendetta. They are most interested in our continuing attacks of `Foamer` here in this hospital and a few others and they have been brought in to assist me.”

She had seen them before and they were on her `anomalies` list, they must be part of Phelps and Widmark’s group, she smiled at them but inside she felt like killing them along with Phelps.

Still they didn’t say anything they just stared at her.

“ If you two could give Julia and me a moment and I’ll meet you in the next room.” They walked out mumbling to each other.

“Now then Julia, have you come to your senses, there is no way you can beat us, even your husband is part of us now, you have to do as we tell you or you know what will happen.”

“ I’ve been thinking a lot about all of this Phelps, I want `in` as well.

I have been a bit of a fool and realize there is no way I can get out of this. It’s pointless trying to interfere with what ever it is you lot are up too!”

“Surely you don’t mean that, How do I know that what you are saying is the truth, How can we trust you Julia?”

“If you can’t Beat em, Join em, is how I honestly feel.

Every day I get up take the same journey to work, get stuck behind the same bloody traffic, do the same boring job, come home and watch the same boring telly, go to sleep with the same useless husband and get up to yet another `Groundhog Day`.

I fancy a change, I need some excitement in my life and I guess whatever it is your up too has got to be better than what I’m doing now, Dr Phelps.”

“I must say this is a bit of shock, I’ll have to speak to the others about this, I can’t guarantee anything just yet, we need some time before we can make a decision.”

“That’s just fine with me, after all you did say I need a couple of more days rest, just wheel in a few home luxuries and I’ll sit tight.”

“What do you mean luxuries?”

“ Can you see a T.V in here Phelps? And something to read, that sort of thing. And, I don’t want you tell Ian anything just tell him, I’m co-operating at the moment, I don’t want you tell him any more.

“ You can’t start telling me what you want and don’t want Julia, just who do you think your dealing with here?”

“Look George I’m O,K about the whole thing, I’m just not very happy with Ian, how he could do something like this scares me and the less he knows about how I feel and what I want the better. “

As if on cue in walked Ian.

“Hello darling at last your awake, I have been so worried about you. Have you and Phelps been having a little heart to heart in here. You have got to start taking things a lot easier Julia, it’s time to stop all this nonsense. Everything is going to work out just fine; me and the good doctor here are in to make quite a lot of money.

It’s money that we need Julia; with more money we can have a better life.”

“I know Ian, it’s just I have been so stupid. It must be because I have been very ill and that the operation has given Phelps here a chance to try something. I know that you wouldn’t do anything to hurt me Ian and if it helps us then I’ll keep quiet about it.”

“That’s great news Love, I knew you would understand. It sometimes pays not to upset the `applecart`; it’s far easier to go along with the flow. I wouldn’t dream of hurting you. I’m only doing this for us surely you can see that.”

“ I’d very much like to rest now, if you two wheelers and dealers can give me break, Phelps has said I need a couple of more days to get well and I feel quite tired.”

“ Of course darling, we out of here”. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and they left the room.
deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

CHAPTER 10

Pass me`puke` bucket this instant she thought. Ian her darling husband was going a bit over the top just then. I’ll give him darling and that’s great news Love. Yech bloody yech!

Falling asleep was the last thing On Julia’s mind; she had some planning of her own to get done.

I’ll just play along with them and let them think everything is going O.K, until the time is right to make a move. She would have to be careful so as to not let anyone suspect that was her plan. As long as I can get as much information about what it is that is going on I’ll know when to move. For now all she wanted was a telly and something to read.

Sure enough a couple of porters wheeled in a T.V and some magazines.

“Thanks you guys, do you think one of you could get me some writing paper and a pen.”?

“Is that allowed, Barry?”

“What yer saying, is wot allowed, How the hell do I know you’re the brains part of the job not me.”

“I spose it’s alright I’ll be back in a while, is there anyfing else yer want?”

“Some envelopes, a couple of stamps maybe, but don’t tell anyone, it’s just our little secret.”

“Okidoke lady our secret, yeah cause it is.”

The Laurel and Hardy look-alikes left and Julia wondered if such intelligent specimens of the human race would remember to get everything and forget to tell anyone about the writing stuff.

Now that was a toughie.

On with the T.V, at last she would be able to know what day of the week it is and what time of the day it was. Her room had lacked even a window so it could be any time of the day or night.

Neighbours now that is exhilarating T.V, next up the news.

6p.m Wednesday October 9th, what happened to the last week or so of September thought Julia, those bastards had been messing about with me so much I must have spent the past two weeks in and out of sleep. The news was full of the usual doom and gloom but Julia waited for the local stuff to come on next.

She watched with her eyes transfixed at the screen as the local news reported a number of `unusual` incidents` at the Darent hospital. A reporter standing outside the Accident& Emergency entrance prattled on about a number of admissions of people had occurred all of them reported to be people that had collapsed with some mysterious foam coming from their mouths.

The reporter then went onto interview a hospital spokesperson a

Mr. Widmark. He confirmed that there were a number of these admissions but that all the patients were making a good recovery and that there wasn’t anything to worry about. He also appealed for anyone who had information about the recent fire at the hospital to come forward.

So, Julia wasn’t the only people Phelps and Co were `interfering` with, how many more were there and who were they?

The door was un-locked and Barry’s mate appeared with a carrier bag in his hand.

“ Here’s that stuff you wanted lady, I kept it `our little secret` like you told me too.”

He sort of winked at her and gave her a moron looking smile.

“ Your such a `sweetie`, what’s your name?

“Frank, but my mates call me Franky.”

“Well, I’m one of your mates now aint I Franky. So, tell me Franky how come you got a key to get in this room?”

“ The key aint mine, you get it off the guard at the end of the corridor, he’s got all the keys for the rooms down this corridor”.

“ How many rooms are you on about Franky?”

“ I’ve never checked but there must about six of them I fink.”

“Thanks Franky you make sure you pop in and see me again tomorrow please and remember `our little secret`”.

He left the room but as soon as the door was being locked and it was being un-locked again.

The bag had all the stuff she wanted, a miracle she thought; she had to hide it all away somewhere but where!

She quickly stuffed everything under the mattress.

“Well, if it isn’t Mr T.V personality in the flesh before me,

I’ve just been seen your Oscar winning performance on the telly Richard, you looked very convincing.”

“Very funny Julia, so what’s this Phelps is telling me you want to be part of the `group`. I had to come in here myself because I just couldn’t believe it.”

“Start believing then, because that’s what I want. Whatever you people are into is something you must include me in on. I know you can make that happen Richard.”

“You haven’t got a clue what all this is about have you?”

“All I know is that there is a group of you that are making these `Foamer` attacks happen. Your putting something inside selected people that allow you to do something with them. Why it’s happening I’m not sure, but I know you are all making a lot of money out of this and it’s the money that I’m interested in.”

“I felt exactly the same when Phelps and his boffins approached me a long time ago. They offered me money, said it would change my life, and change my life it did, but not for the better.”

He sat down in the chair next to the bed, loosened his tie and started to tell Julia how his life had changed.

“Phelps approached me a few years ago, back when we were all up at the Joyce Green hospital. He said that he and a couple of other doctors had an idea that would make them `rich` and the idea was so good nobody would ever catch them out. It was the most perfect plan and nothing could stop them.

They needed more people to join them to make some more trips.

I was hooked; it sounded a way of escaping from the rat race that we are all tied too.

Any thing that could free me from the rut I was in was worth doing.

I couldn’t do a run myself as they needed me to co-ordinate things this end, but I had a close friend who like me needed some money.

They said that she was in no danger, they promised me she would be back in a week or so and everything would work out fine.”

By now he was sweating, his face wet with perspiration, he was rubbing his hands together and he wasn’t even looking at Julia now he was just staring at his hands. He reached out for the jug of water, poured himself a glass and drunk it down in one. Then he fumbled in one of jacket pockets, brought out a small bottle of pills and took a couple downed with another glass of water.

“ Are you O.K Richard you look very hot and bothered.”

“ Shut up Julia, let me finish what I have to tell you, I told you a while back that something happened, what I didn’t tell you that because of ME, someone died. I got her involved, don’t you understand, they told me it would be O.K. She trusted me, but it all went horribly wrong. Un-foreseen complications, they said, died in the operating theatre, didn’t even leave the bloody hospital, How’s that for a trip of a lifetime? “

He stood up and started strutting around the room, Glaring at her and pointing towards her arm out stretched as he carried on his voice grew louder and angrier now.

“You want in well let me tell you, I’m well and truly in, can’t get out even if I wanted too! They’ve got me just where they need me. I’m one of their puppets and when they pull the strings I do exactly what they want.

Yes, I get to earn a lot of money sometimes, but the price I pay far out weighs the poxy money. Most of that ends up being boozed away. “

Julia, started to feel very scared, what was she getting into? Someone had died because they got involved. The temptation of a different life sounded a lot less glamorous now.

“That’s terrible Richard, but you can’t blame yourself, your friend must have known there would be a risk.”

“Don’t be so f---ing stupid Julia, of course she didn’t know about any risks, neither did I. One minute there lying in front of you suffering from a manufactured illness that they know is part of an elaborate plot to allow the whole thing to work out. She smiled at me and said, “ See you later Richie”. In she went, and that’s the last time I saw her alive.

Of course it all had to be covered up, faked reason, faked autopsy, cause of death etc, etc. Her family mourned the funeral was un-bearable and I’ve had to live each day since knowing it was my fault.

So, Little Miss Sherlock Holmes, still want in now, still got the whiff of all that money you could earn, well `in` you are, Phelps has already convinced us that you will make a good part of the group but the catch is we have to find a way of levering out that pathetic husband of yours. How do you suggest `we` do that then? .

He knows too much Juila and he has let us down a couple of times already. You’ll have to convince us that Ian is worth `keeping` but make it quick, early next week you’ve a plane to be on.

Whatever is decided you both have to be on that plane.”
deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

FOAMER CHAPTER 11

All alone now Julia was in deep thought. This whole thing that had just opened up in front of her was beginning to become too much to take. She needed some help, “But who can I trust” she kept saying to herself, “Who, can I turn too?”

She struggled to get the hidden carrier bag from underneath the mattress and got out the writing pad and envelopes. It was time to try and contact someone before it was too late.

Dear Harpal,

I expect you may have been wondering why I haven’t phoned you for a while. I have been very ill over the last few weeks and have only now started to get well again.

I know you will be annoyed with me for not getting in touch with you sooner but believe me when I say it wasn’t possible.

Ian myself will shortly be going away for a short time to help me recuperate. When we return I will need your help to get my life back to some sort of normality.

So much is happening at the moment but for now I can’t tell you much.

Just promise me that you’ll be there for me when I contact you again.

Be in touch soon

Love Julia xx

She folded the letter and put it into an envelope and sealed it up.

On the front she wrote

To, Harpal Sabur, and then included her home address.

Why is it, she thought whenever you need a man around, there never there? And the man she most wanted around at this time was her new mate Franky!

She idled the evening away watching television, occasionally she played with the food that she had not eaten from the plate in front of her. There was nothing worth watching and the magazines stayed un-read. Soon she fell asleep.

The night went so quick she found it hard to realise that it was morning already.

“Morning Julia, how did you sleep, like a log I expect!”

“Thanks to you and your bloody drugs Phelps, I’ll get you back one day that’s a cert.”

"You wanted in so you’re in, the others like you and it’s a case of two trips in one for us.”

“What do you mean two trips, what are you on about?”

“Your first job with us is to convince that husband of yours that he needs to be a carrier as well as you. With both of you out there you can bring back two consignments, it’s excellent and it must happen. So, convince him, let him complete this run with you and what you want to do with him after that is up to you.”

“Stop talking jargon Phelps, how about filling in with some detail so I can understand what the hell it is you’re on about.”

“It’s a completely new drug, something that drug takers the world over have been wanting for ages.

Five times the power of any other drug with no overdosing and no possible chance of getting killed with this stuff.”

“Drugs, you lot are pushing drugs, I don’t believe it, poxy drugs”

“ Hold it there for a moment, let me finish Julia.

These aren’t just drugs, there not the sort of thing that gets sold down the local pub and rolled up in a fag paper or injected by some spaced out drop out living from fix to fix.

We have a new era of stimulant that is being taken by people from all walks of life. It allows them to indulge, with the rest of their lives running normally. You can’t see any difference in someone who does or doesn’t use it.”

“Go on Phelps there has to be more so tell me more, what’s the name of it for starters and where does it come from? “

“Now your interested, I see,

It’s called `Meltout 5`, it is made in different parts of the world.

Its entirely new way of having the effect of a drug but not actually taking one. Instead of putting the stimulant inside your body Meltout 5 works outside the body. It’s incredible entirely synthetic let me show you how it works."

He walked over to the washbasin and ran some water, returning to Julia he wiped his temple on right side of his head in line with his eye.

“You see Julia this drug is something you wear all the time”

Sure enough where he wiped she could see what looked like a small gold coloured oval shape.

“Take a close look Julia you should be able to see something that looks the same as an ordinary S.I.M card you know the type that goes in your mobile.

You see this miniature piece of wizarduary everywhere these days it’s even on your credit cards."

“Your joking, you mean to tell me that a piece of a SIM circuitry can set you up the same as a normal drug, no way.”

“Better, Julia much better the trip if you can call it that will satisfy every user, every time with no side effects. Once applied the user with practice can control the `lift` they get and turn it off and on just like a tap.

It’s like the Internet for you’re mind you can go online and offline whenever you want.”

“And how exactly do you go `online` you can’t exactly plug yourself into a computer?”

“Now then Julia your sarcasm will be the death of you one day, this is a new age of technology as well you know, all the user has to do is send the `dose` from their mobile phone, once transmitted they can just sit back and enjoy.”

“Wait a minute Phelps you’ve lost me back there, your saying they get it from their phone?”

“ It’s that simple all the user does is dial a `supply number` download what they want and upload it to this”

He pointed to the side of his head where his piece of wizardary sat as he called it.

“Broadband for the mind and it’s far more reliable than B.T.“

“Surely, that’s not possible, you’re talking pure science fiction Phelps,

“Believe me Julia, would you like me to demonstrate, I could do with a lift as it goes we have so much to do to get you ready for that trip of yours.”

The door to her room opened and in walked Ian.

“How yer feeling love? Getting better I hope, how’s your chat been going with George? He tells me you want in and all I can say is Welcome aboard darling, You won’t regret it, Just think of the money we will have once you’ve `carried`.”

“Well, I’ll leave you two to have a talk, I’ve got loads to do and I’ll see you later.”

“I’m feeling fine, and I can’t wait to get out of here, I am so confused.

Dr Phelps has been explaining to me what it is you’re all up to but I don’t see what me being here in this bloody room has got to do with it.

“You don’t think for one moment that we can just travel around the world with, a load of hot S.I.M’s stuffed down our trousers or concealed in a suitcase.

They have created the most user friendly super concentrated out of this world mind blowing pep pill that has only one problem”.

“Oh, so now here comes the down side, I was wondering when it was coming and here it is!”

“You may well joke but with a problem came the way round it and what it is inside you is the same as every other carrier.

Not been feeling very hungry recently Julia, perhaps since you woke up in this room!”

“What has me not eating got to do with all this? Will someone just tell me what is going on for F—k sake before I lose it and start wrecking this room.”

“Now then Julia, don’t get angry it won’t do you any good, I’ll explain.

Meltout 5 has one draw back, it is very easy to detect at places like airports and seaports anywhere in fact where passengers are screened whilst going through customs.

The airports and other places have in an effort to stop the `smuggling` of this new drug developed a scanner that can easily detect Meltout.

Every single S.I.M contains an electronic signature.

It’s a signal of some sort and these new scanners can detect it.

The only way that they can’t reach the S.I.M’s is if they are concealed not on a person like most other drugs but inside the person.”

“Are you saying I’ve got some inside me Ian?

Is that what was glowing under my skin?”

“Not exactly, what is inside you are two small containers one of them will be filled up with Meltout 5’s.

Part of your stomach has been removed to make room for these containers.

The other container a smaller type contains two chemicals that if mixed can kill you in seconds once released.

When the chemicals are not mixed and only one of them is released into your body it makes you have a `foamer` attack."

“You Bastard, you let them do this to me, you helped them, became part of their gang, scheming behind me, even allowing me to begin to find out that something was wrong."

She got out of bed and starting lashing out at Ian, trying to hit him.

He gripped her arms and pushed her back into a chair beside the bed.

“All behind my back, how could you?

I hate you and one day you’ll pay for this! “

“Things got out of hand, everything was going fine, and until you started to find some what did you call them `anomalies`? Your boss the idiot shouldn’t have got any of you involved in a job he should have done himself.

No one would have found anything and nothing would have happened.

But, it’s too late now, we had to stop you from exposing us, there is too much to lose now. All you have to do is a few trips and the money we get will help us. Plus we get paid from the huge profit that is being made out of this, we need money Julia, how else can I pay off the amount of debt we’re in.”

“What debts are you on about surely we don’t have that many debts?”

“If only you knew, how do you expect me to pay for the things we now take for granted with the money I earn?” It’s easy money too, plus we get to travel, how many people do you know can go on holiday for free and get paid for it?”

Anyway, we can talk some more on the way home that’s the main reason for me being here, I can take you home now, Phelps thinks it’s a good idea for us to be at home a few days before we take our trip.”

“Our trip to where Ian, where exactly is it we are going?

Do I need to pack ski- boots or flip-flops? come to think of it I’ll need some new clothes. It’s about time I started to see some of this money `we` are getting and once home a visit to Bluewater is on the cards.”

“I’m not sure where we are set to go, at first it was India but that may change Phelps said something about waiting to hear.”

It didn’t take long for Julia to get dressed and everything packed away, the sooner she get out of this place the better she thought.

There was just one problem she had to deal with, somehow she had to get her letter to Harpal out from under the bed and sent to her but how?

“Ian I’m feeling a little too weak to walk do you think you could get me a wheel chair, it’s been a while since I walked anywhere and my legs just don’t feel up to it. Perhaps you get hold of one of them porters, try err! Frank I think his name is he seems a helpful chap.”

“O.K, if that’s what you want I’ll see what I can do.”

He phoned through to reception and asked for a wheelchair but no mention of her `friend` Franky.

“All set then Love, we will soon be back home, It will be great, I have managed to get some extended leave from work so it will be just the two of us at home for a few days before having some time away. I can’t wait, how about you?”

Waiting for a porter was more on her mind and luckily enough in came Frank with a wheelchair.

“Hello there, going home Miss? Are you feeling better? You look a bit better.”?

They left the room and once along the corridor Julia shouted.

“Ian, how silly of me I have left something back in that bloody room.

Frank wheel me back, wait here a moment.”

“O.K love I’ll go and bring the car round to the entrance.”

“Here we are then, do you want me to help you with anything?”

“Yes, quickly there is something I want you to do”

She lifted the mattress and got the letter.

“You must get this letter in the post as soon as you can Franky.

Don’t let anyone see you do it, remember we keep little secrets like this to ourselves. Don’t tell anyone about this letter will you Franky, now quickly hide it away.”

“Okidoke, Miss what ever you say, I’ll post it on my home for you.”

Once outside the hospital, Julia felt the fresh air and it made her feel `free` at last. Ian helped her into the car and they headed home.
deckard

Foamer. continued

Post by deckard »

FOAMER CHAPTER 12

Home at last, but everything felt different, the whole house was too tidy, too clean and so un-like Ian.

Every other time she had been away even for only a few hours the house looked a total mess when she returned but not this time. It was as if he hadn’t been living at home while she had been in hospital.

“Blimey, how come the house is so tidy, who’s the new cleaner?”

“Yeah, well I thought I’d make an effort and so I made sure the house looked good for you.”

“The place looks like you haven’t been here at all, been staying round one of your mates have you?”

“No, just me and that bloody cat of yours which reminds me who’s going to look after it when we go away?”

“I’m sure our neighbour will help out shall I go and ask them?”

Ian rushed towards the front door.

“No, don’t you bother yourself Love I’ll sort that out along with everything else, perhaps you should rest for a while.”

“Julia collapsed on the sofa and sure enough dozed off, Ian covered her up with a blanket.”

She woke up and could hear Ian on the phone discussing something.

“What do you mean a change to the plan? Yes, you can do that from here, O.K I’ll see you at 7 then.”

“Who was that on the phone then?”

“Phelps, he needs to see us tonight something has come up, we need to start packing immediately he said and be ready to leave at short notice.”

“Pack, but I’ve only just got home how do you expect me to pack if we don’t know where the bloody hell we are going!”

“How do I know, lets just get some stuff sorted shall we and hopefully things will become a lot clearer when Phelps gets here.”

It wasn’t long before Phelps was at the front door and he wasn’t on his own.

“Hello, George and you must be Dr Mendetta, come in, please.

Phelps had a laptop with him and set it up on the coffee table.

“Where’s your phone socket Ian we have to hurry up we can’t miss our time slot, Lets get moving shall we.”

”Here’s the cable that should do it, what’s next?”

“Get everyone around the table screen side I’ll just fix the camera up and log in.”

The hospital home page was there and in less than a minute Farooq and a few other people were on screen.

“I’m so glad you could link with us Dr. Phelps, my associates and I have had some serious problems with our operation here in India.

It has been decided to pull out at once and move to our Singapore base.

You have two of your people here at the moment they have been detained by the police.

It is only a matter of time before they trace us back to here we believe, we are leaving for Singapore tonight and you must send your next carrier to us as soon as you can.

Are they in a position to leave in the next few days?”

“Hello Madam Farooq, That certainly is bad news about our `carriers`, you can’t just up and leave without them!”

“Yes, I’m afraid we are going to have too Phelps, they were aware of the risks involved as is everybody, they will just have to deal with it on their own.

Is your next carrier there with you Phelps?”

“She is here and will be able to travel in a few days time along with her partner, I will start work on arranging everything immediately.

When do you expect to be ready to receive them?”

“Our operation in Singapore is very secure and the best we have. They normally deal with the North American and Australian traffic but they will be able to cope with the extra carriers no problem.

Are you sure the `girl` is going to be O.K, she did cause you some trouble don’t forget and the last thing we need now is any more setbacks.”

“There will be no problems we have her on our side now she will perform this run and as many as we give her Farooq, don’t worry.”

“I need to hear it for myself to be entirely confident, I can see her there so tell me, why have you changed your mind, when I last saw you it was a very messy

affair Julia.”

“At first I was angry, I didn’t know what was going on and I felt I had to escape and get help. But, since I had the operation and had everything explained to me, I want to be part of your team and I promise to do whatever is necessary.

You don’t need to have whatever it is inside me that could kill me; I will do a

good job for you, Madam Farooq.”

“Excellent, it’s all falling into place, so get on with it Phelps, we must make up for lost time, there are buyers waiting out there and we cannot and will not let them down. Let me know as soon as you have arrival times and I will give you the contact details at Singapore.”

“I suggest you two get packing at once and try and rest you have a busy time in front of you, as soon as I have sorted out your tickets etc you will have to be ready to leave. Mendetta, will be travelling with you just in case there’s any trouble.”

“What do you mean trouble Phelps, you can trust us the job will get done.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about Ian, but I don’t like it when we just leave our people dangling, Michael and Kath are good people and it feels wrong to abandon them.”

“Did you say Michael & Kath, you can’t just leave them out in India Phelps, we will help them to get home safely won’t we?”

“It’s not up to us Julia, we have enough on our plate and we have to make sure that your trip is successful.”

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”