Foamer Chapter 3

deckard

Foamer Chapter 3

Post by deckard »

The office downed tools at 12.30 for lunch and today everybody agreed that they would stop for lunch despite the pressure to get the job done.

Lunch it was then, Julia decided to grab a sandwich and a drink and sit in her car for a well needed break.

Even out here in the car park you were not entirely alone for just when you thought you had escaped a CCTV would be turning to look over the car park.

“Yes, it’s me Julia! Actually it’s a tuna and watercress sandwich and not a very good one at that. And look I’m drinking a can of shandy so please don’t report me for consuming alcohol on the premises. Just let me know when you want me to turn the page of my paper and I will.”

It seemed that wherever anybody went or whatever you did some one somewhere would be watching or they would find out soon enough.

How then was it that no one else had found out about my doctors as she referred to them now?

Whoever it was that controlled the security at the hospital didn’t seem to know about them, or if they did why were they allowing it to continue?

Julia wondered if she was the only person who had noticed, or could there be others, maybe there were a lot of people involved.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the passenger window.

It scared Julia; she dropped her drink as she looked over to see who it was.

She wound the window down.

“ You moron, you scared the hell out of me!”

“ Hurry up and let me in, I need to talk to you now! “

It was Mike, he struggled to get into Julia’s car, and once in he shut the door and wound up the window.

“A bit tight these Tigra’s do you mind if I push the seat back”

“ What do you want Michael? Creeping up on me like that, it’s a good job we are in a hospital car park because for a moment there you may have needed some help to scrap me off the roof of my car.”

“ I’m sorry honest, it’s just I need to talk to you and I saw you here so I thought now is the perfect time to get you.”

“ So, you got me, I’m listening but hurry up or we will get noticed, you know what it’s like here, I bet we are being watched already.”

“ Do you think so, well I just wanted to ask you what you thought about what was going on. I’m worried so is Kath and you being new here it must be a worry to you as well.”

Julia had to think fast here, what was it that Mike was referring too.

Had he found out something while going through the nurses files or was he just fishing to see if I had anything. In such a situation the best approach was to act dumb.

“ What do you mean about going on, going on what Mike? “

“ Don’t you think it’s been a bit strange these past couple of days?”

“ How do you mean strange?”

He still seemed to be trying to get Julia to open up and say a lot more but Julia couldn’t trust anybody. What if Mike was in on what was happening? If she told him what she had found it could put her in danger. She felt a bit panicky but told herself to keep calm and stay dumb.

“Mr Widmark has got us to do all this stuff because he says they need it upstairs for Monday so that they can discuss staffing levels.”

“ Yes, that’s what we are doing isn’t it?”

“ Why so much detail then, how come we have to go through every persons files and include their performance levels. Now that’s strange don’t you think? And haven’t you noticed something else about some of the files?”

“ Your kidding ain’t yer, it’s bad enough having to go through all of them in the first place, if there is anything wrong, I haven’t noticed, have you and if you have what is it? “

A car drove into the recently vacated space next to Julia’s, and there staring into her car was Mr Widmark.

“ Where the bleeden hell did he spring from?” shouted Mike.

“ That’s his car you pratt he’s just pulled up and got out.”

“ We can’t talk now, meet us at the Darenth Village Hall car park tonight around 10, we must talk make sure your there.”

He got out of the car and walked back to the entrance lobby.

“ Hi there Richard just got back” Julia heard him say.

“ Yeah, what a poxy morning I’ve had, hopefully the three of you are going to give me some good news this afternoon.”

“ Well, maybe Mr Widmark, but it depends on what you call good news if you know what I mean.”

Mr Widmark looked back at Julia and shouted

“ Come on Julia, lunch is over let’s get on with it shall we”

Julia just stared at them, there was so much happening it was giving her a mean headache. She couldn’t get her head round everything. What is happening here at the hospital? Was there anything happening or was her mind in `overdrive`.

She locked the car and walked slowly back to the admin section

As she walked into the office she saw a doctor talking to Richard at his desk. They were looking over some papers and making some notes.

It was one of Julia’s doctors and he stared at Julia for a moment before smiling at her.

She felt a cold tingling all over as the doctor smiled again before continuing his conversation with Mr Widmark.

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”