an article on conformists.

hadji

Post by hadji »

The phrase "I think, therefore I am" in association with the idea of mainstream conformism caused by the Mass Media's, brings up an interesting point.

The phrase "I think" meaning "I am able to form an opinion."

The phrase "I am" meaning "I am able to be".

In retrospect, "I’m able to form an opinion; therefore I am able to be."

To help me explain the idea of mainstream conformism caused by the Mass Media's will require an example. The example chosen to help enlighten readers, in the confines of this discussion, shall be the mainstream music industry (i.e. Much Music). If you cant understand what I mean when I say that, you're opinion (if said) may be in ignorance of the fact that I’ve only chosen the mainstream music industry as an example to help describe the idea of mainstream conformism caused by the Mass Media's. So, basically, if you reply with something like "Much Music isn’t trying to dictate my opinion… etc. etc.” or "I agree Joe, much music is very much trying to dictate my opinions...etc. etc."(Or anything that doesn’t help further the progress of this discussion) that will tell me, that you have missed the entire point of reading this article.

If I'd wanted to, I could have written this article in regards to the mainstream movie/film industry, targeting mainly, and for example, Empire Theatres. So for whatever medium I could wish to chose, I can still illustrate the point I want to show using Much Music.

The point of this article, for me at least, is to show how being told your opinion directly relates to the idea of "being', and the idea of who "we" as people "are."

Throughout this article, I’m going to talk about Much Music as an Entity. I know they're a television channel, but keep an open mind, and like I said, in the confines of this discussion, they're simply an example used to help describe the idea of mainstream conformism, which is caused by the Mass Medias.

-To Form an Opinion-

To be able to form an opinion means to have the ability to critically analyze an idea, and develop a distinct (although commonly not unique) view point on the subject.

When an opinion has been formed, it means that a person has considered the subject, and has chosen to understand the facts, ideas, or claims (or lack there of) presented as they may.

What Much Music does is it tells us what to think. It tells us what to think concerning the idea of music, other popular media, and people. Much Music's point with this is to lure people into a "trap." A trap designed to help sell whatever bands they're sponsoring this year, or whatever logo's they're fronting for however much money is offered.

People are ALWAYS falling for this trap. If you don’t believe me, take for example the different groups of individuals who are clearly shown to be "mainstream whores." You can see groups of these types of people everywhere. Walking down the streets, in classrooms, or wherever else interaction with a multitude of different opinionated beings is forced (i.e. any social gathering.) For one example of what I mean when I say "groups of individuals," I suggest the people that love My Chemical Romance (one of Much Music's sponsored, and over played bands.) I don’t mean people that "like" MCR, or people that are "mildly interested" in MCR, or even people that "kind of enjoy" MCR. I'm talking about those sad excuses for life forms that get on the bus in their "O-So-Unique" camouflage of self pity. And I admit, people can like this band without falling into the category of "a mainstream whore," and those people (as with everybody else that doesn't conform to whatever's being pushed as "cool" in mainstream media) should be, in my opinion, held in high-esteem. But those people have absolutely nothing to do with what Im talking about.

Focusing now, on people that trend music according to what the media says is cool, these people "are" simply people that have been taught to think "INSERT BANDS NAME HERE" is cool because Much Music says it's cool.

For Much Music, there are thousands of different bands, or artists that they've at one point or another, sold to the masses in the way described above (by setting up a "trap.") And for that many different artists/bands, there are millions of subservient consumers on the other end, taking all these forced opinions and ideas in, and not even questioning why they think everything on Much Music is cool. Much Music is only an example; one of thousands of examples of establishments that invoke mainstream conformism.

With so many different establishments adding to the mainstream media entity, it's hard to even comprehend how many myriads of people must be influenced by the "traps" that are being set up all the time, by any example of media establishments I could wish to use.

-The Relationship With "Being"-

If someone were to say ("I think therefore I Am." is the same as saying "I am able to form an opinion, therefore I am able to be.") I would agree. I can’t make that statement myself for sure, because I really have no clue on the subject of "Being" and such. I’m not much of a philosopher.

If Much Music is able to dictate what the mass opinion on music is, is it not reasonable to say, if you're (as I am) in agreement with the statement made at the beginning of this paragraph, that the Mass Medias are to a high degree, in control of who people are. Is it not reasonable to say that the Mass Medias are able to dictate to people who they are. And ultimately, is it not, then, reasonable to say, that to some degree, the Mass Medias are in control of what people do.

I’m not going to say to anybody that the Mass Medias are breeding an army, or any other crackpot conspiracy theory. But what I am going to say is that I believe to some degree, the Mass Medias can dictate more then just what a person likes for music, or movies, or art. I can say with confidence in my opinion, that I think if the mass media entity wants to tell people who they are, they have the ability to dictate that to them.

To some degree, conformists aren't just conforming anymore. Theye're becoming part of whatever media dictated mechanism is being created.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

First of all, Hadji, let me welcome you to the Garden. I say this because I am able to but also, because I like welcoming people to the forum. This is a subjective aspect to my mental ability.

Having welcomed you, I would like to ask you a few questions. I ask this question because I am able to, but also because I am intrigued to know the answer.

Descartes' statement, "I think, therefore I am" is nothing more than that. It is profound and without logic. A stone exists, but it does not think, therefore it cannot make this statement, but it exists just the same. So my first question is, how did you determine that the term "I think" means "I am able to form an opinion".

When I think, I may well be forming an opinion, but just as likely, I may be calculating something, or planning, or reminiscing, or visualising. A lot of people think that thinking is done using words, but I use visuals as well when I think.

How do you come to the conclusion that "I am" means "I am able to be"? Descartes' statement may not be logical, but neither does it imply any control over over his power to exist. We know that we can end our lives, i.e. commit suicide, but we cannot empower our births.

Over to you, Hadji.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

By the way, I have not come across Much Music. I have come across lots of music, but not Much Music.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

To some degree, conformists aren't just conforming anymore. Theye're becoming part of whatever media dictated mechanism is being created.

Hmm, like posting on the internet?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: To some degree, conformists aren't just conforming anymore. Theye're becoming part of whatever media dictated mechanism is being created.

Hmm, like posting on the internet?

CHONSI, YOU CONFORMIST, YOU:wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: I confess, I posted!
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

SnoozeControl wrote: Sorry, way too cerebral.

Welcome aboard, nice to meet you! :)

What you have to do is to turn on the TV. Turn down the Tv's volume. Turn on the hifi ( turning up the volume, of course), play what YOU wnat to listen to, and lip read the characters on the TV according to your imagination. Personally, I skip the lipreading bit and just dance to the music cos' it's good for my heart. if I like it, I like it.:D :-5
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hadji, what is the source for your article?

And please do introduce yourself, and welcome to FG.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I don't want to be an individual, stop questioing my right to do as I am told!:wah:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Galbally wrote: I don't want to be an individual, stop questioing my right to do as I am told!:wah:

So, you wanna be a collective, a society??
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

OpenMind wrote: So, you wanna be a collective, a society??

I wanna be whatever you tell me to be. I am a number, not a free man, thank god. ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Galbally wrote: I wanna be whatever you tell me to be. I am a number, not a free man, thank god. ;)
What was that, #6?

*gosh, I loved that show!*
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

chonsigirl wrote: What was that, #6?

*gosh, I loved that show!*

Yes a great show, from which I learned the lesson of accepting my lot in life, well that and avoiding large white plastic bubbles of any variety.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

chonsigirl wrote: :wah: I confess, I posted!
i posted, therfore YOU are?

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Galbally wrote: I wanna be whatever you tell me to be. I am a number, not a free man, thank god. ;)

I want you to be a good looking sex-mad woman who can sing like the sirens. You already share my musical tastes and you know everything.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

OpenMind wrote: I want you to be a good looking sex-mad woman who can sing like the sirens. You already share my musical tastes and you know everything.

But what about my good points?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Galbally wrote: But what about my good points?
damn... you cook and clean too???

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Wolverine wrote: damn... you cook and clean too???

That would be a bonus.:wah:
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

OpenMind wrote: That would be a bonus.:wah:
she said, "what about (her) good points"

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Wolverine wrote: she said, "what about (her) good points"

I have yet to come across a (her) without good points. *hands quivering*
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Hate to break this to you but I am not a "her", though you can believe that I am a woman if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl wrote: I'm always being mistaken for a man... it might be because of my upper lip hair.:-2

I don't beleive that for a minute! ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
hadji

Post by hadji »

OpenMind wrote: First of all, Hadji, let me welcome you to the Garden. I say this because I am able to but also, because I like welcoming people to the forum. This is a subjective aspect to my mental ability.

Having welcomed you, I would like to ask you a few questions. I ask this question because I am able to, but also because I am intrigued to know the answer.

Descartes' statement, "I think, therefore I am" is nothing more than that. It is profound and without logic. A stone exists, but it does not think, therefore it cannot make this statement, but it exists just the same. So my first question is, how did you determine that the term "I think" means "I am able to form an opinion".

When I think, I may well be forming an opinion, but just as likely, I may be calculating something, or planning, or reminiscing, or visualising. A lot of people think that thinking is done using words, but I use visuals as well when I think.

How do you come to the conclusion that "I am" means "I am able to be"? Descartes' statement may not be logical, but neither does it imply any control over over his power to exist. We know that we can end our lives, i.e. commit suicide, but we cannot empower our births.

Over to you, Hadji.
beleive me, im no philosopher, and as i said in my article, have no clue on the idea of "being." But i still stand by my opinion that the mass media entity can to a degree control. i need to hurry my response though, the new Episode of Family Guy has already started.
hadji

Post by hadji »

OpenMind wrote: By the way, I have not come across Much Music. I have come across lots of music, but not Much Music.
Much Music is a canadian television network.
hadji

Post by hadji »

chonsigirl wrote: Hadji, what is the source for your article?

And please do introduce yourself, and welcome to FG.
i didnt source anything in this article, i wrote it myself.

hi, my name is joe, i live in canada, and im a grade 11 student.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

hadji wrote: beleive me, im no philosopher, and as i said in my article, have no clue on the idea of "being." But i still stand by my opinion that the mass media entity can to a degree control. i need to hurry my response though, the new Episode of Family Guy has already started.
Feel the pull of that mass media leash, huh?
hadji

Post by hadji »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Sorry just had another go at reading that. Didnt work. Welcome indeed Hadji. Im sure you have something relevant to say so it would help us if you posted back in plain English and not like a legal document
i cant say what i really want to say in any plainer english than my article. if i simplifide it any more than that, it would be missing things.
hadji

Post by hadji »

chonsigirl wrote: Feel the pull of that mass media leash, huh?
i love family guy, it's the funniest show on tv (my opinion.)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

hadji wrote: But i still stand by my opinion that the mass media entity can to a degree control.

Ultimately, this is the influence of money. Money drives the need to "will" the public to spend it on the products of those that advertise by whatever media that is available.
hadji

Post by hadji »

OpenMind wrote: Ultimately, this is the influence of money. Money drives the need to "will" the public to spend it on the products of those that advertise by whatever media that is available.
indeed
hadji

Post by hadji »

OpenMind wrote: Ultimately, this is the influence of money. Money drives the need to "will" the public to spend it on the products of those that advertise by whatever media that is available.
to bad i already pretty much said that in my article.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

hadji wrote: to bad i already pretty much said that in my article.insulting aren't you? if you didn't want comments, why post it?
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by hadji

The phrase "I think, therefore I am" in association with the idea of mainstream conformism caused by the Mass Media's, brings up an interesting point.

The phrase "I think" meaning "I am able to form an opinion."

The phrase "I am" meaning "I am able to be".

In retrospect, "I’m able to form an opinion; therefore I am able to be."

No it doesn't. How do you know the association is real as the only certainty you have is that you are. You know this because you are thinking about whether you exist but you don't know the reality around you unless you can trust your senses but you don't know if your senses can be trusted.

I think means just that and no more.

Therefore I am is the conclusion arrived at by the fact you are thinking at all.

That you exist is a good thing is an opinion, whether it is worth it or not and what is the purpose of it all is open to question.

posted by open mind

A stone exists, but it does not think, therefore it cannot make this statement, but it exists just the same. So my first question is, how did you determine that the term "I think" means "I am able to form an opinion".

How do you know the stone exists? If it does not think then does it exist? Does it only exist because you think it does?

Rene Descartes walks into a bar, really thirsty and hankering for a cool beer. The bartender, seeing a person of such celebrated status walk in, thinks "I've got to set this guy up with something really nice!" So he says to Descartes, "Mr. Descartes, would you like a nice snifter of cognac or perhaps some whisky from Scotland? On the house?"

Descartes replies, "Oh, I think not"...and promptly disappears!
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

gmc wrote: How do you know the stone exists? If it does not think then does it exist? Does it only exist because you think it does?

Rene Descartes walks into a bar, really thirsty and hankering for a cool beer. The bartender, seeing a person of such celebrated status walk in, thinks "I've got to set this guy up with something really nice!" So he says to Descartes, "Mr. Descartes, would you like a nice snifter of cognac or perhaps some whisky from Scotland? On the house?"

Descartes replies, "Oh, I think not"...and promptly disappears!

Have you ever picked up a stone, or even been hit by one. I have picked up a stone. I have been able to feel its texture and weight. I have passed it to a friend who has himself handled it, inspected it, and passed it on. Because my friend did this, I know that he can also see and feel the stone. I have watched another friend throw it against a post and I have heard it as it hit the post.

Of course, all this could be in my mind. In fact, it is now considered that everything is only experienced within the mind and is therefore an. Your reply to this thread is only an illusion in my mind. This means that the existence of my very body comes into question as I am only experiencing it within my mind. But then, my mind would also become disputable in which case, I would ask from whence all these illusions came from. Then, I would also ask whether you are simply the result of my mind's illusions or whether you believe that you exist (simply because you exist). If you are merely an illusion of my mind, then your thoughts (which, strangely, I cannot sense) are the result of my mind's illusion. Or this could be the other way round. My thoughts may be the result of your mind's illusion.

That events occur against my will would have to be the result of a perverse part of my mind. If everything is the illusion of my mind, why can't I stop things happening against my will?

On the other hand, we might all be Sims avatars.

Nice joke about Descartes by the way.
minks

Post by minks »

OpenMind wrote: By the way, I have not come across Much Music. I have come across lots of music, but not Much Music.
Canadian Music-ography station, musical mainstay of Canadian youth.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

minks wrote: Canadian Music-ography station, musical mainstay of Canadian youth.

Is it any good?
minks

Post by minks »

Give and take

make more want more

Make more money want more toys

Make more toys want more toys

back to the top again, make more money want more toys

and the cycle goes on and on.

kinda crazy eh.

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

OpenMind wrote: Is it any good?

Yeah some days it is good, they have some interesting features at times, highlights different bands, some interesting sets of "one hit wonders" where we get to travel back to the 70's and 80's and see such grand bands as Bay City Rollers, and the likes hehehehehehe

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

minks wrote: Give and take

make more want more

Make more money want more toys

Make more toys want more toys

back to the top again, make more money want more toys

and the cycle goes on and on.

kinda crazy eh.

Yup. Madder than the Mad Hatter's tea-party.:-5
minks

Post by minks »

OpenMind wrote: Yup. Madder than the Mad Hatter's tea-party.:-5
You referring to me????:confused:

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

minks wrote: You referring to me????:confused:

Dunno. Are you??:thinking:
minks

Post by minks »

OpenMind wrote: Dunno. Are you??:thinking:

I know you are but what am I??

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

minks wrote: I know you are but what am I??

That sounds like the title for a new thread. I think you are what you wanna be. How's that for starters?:D
Jives

Post by Jives »

So I'm brainwashed by the mass media....I understand that, but I'm not threatened by it. As a primate, I enjoy being "part of the group" or the "in" crowd. I'm glad they are constantly changing what is "cool" and what is not. It'd be kind of boring otherwise.

And as a consumer, I like new spending my money on new logos and music.

So what's the point here? We should all just run away and live in a cave? Or stop dressing in logos and listening to music? Not bloody likely.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”