How to Brew Cheap Wine

Escape the rat race and slip on into Pub Nutters Inn.
User avatar
Marie5656
Posts: 6772
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:10 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Marie5656 »

In case you can't always get to your local friendly pub...make the wine at home. Click here
User avatar
Lulu2
Posts: 6016
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:34 pm

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Lulu2 »

It's fun to read through that and then find a link to "HOW TO BECOME A WINE CONNOISSEUR"
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Okie
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:28 pm

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Okie »

Marie5656 wrote: In case you can't always get to your local friendly pub...make the wine at home. Click here
Have you ever tasted cawtawba wine? It used to be my favorite long ago. Too sweet for me now. My sister wanted some sort of sweet wine not so sweet as port so I got her some. I need to ask her if she liked it. It comes from cawtawba grapes . Most comes from the Northeast part of the states.
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Okie wrote: Have you ever tasted cawtawba wine?


I have spent a few minutes looking into this. Interesting. Do you know of an

on-line resource giving a technical introduction, preferably with notes of an

international style?
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Marie5656 wrote: In case you can't always get to your local friendly pub...make the wine at home. Click here


I have made "wine" out of various things - flowers and fruit, honey, and

unlikely-sounding root vegetables. They can be quite palatable, or quite

something that one would travel to avoid! The results tend to "palatable".

I've also distilled various brews, reasonably succccessfully. Haven'd done

any for years, though. Must have another go sometime!
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky wrote: My dad brews his own. Even I can't do a whole bottle, that's saying something.


What of? Beer? "Home made wine"? What? Wondering minds would muse...
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky wrote: Oh, sorry! Wine. I've had a few tonight, so the brain isn't functioning as it should!:rolleyes:


'K, what sort (or can't you tell[1])?







[1] I have produced "wine" from things that people could not guess!
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky wrote: (Dad's home-made wine) It's cherry wine!

I also love weird stuff like potato, parsnip and birch wine.

Elderberry is my fave, but it does me in:-3


I haven't done cherry wine.... now the season's past, & I haven't time, anyway.

'Tater? Dunno. Sounds like a base for something to chuck through the still.

Parsnip, can be good. Birch wine, certainly, if it's plain and "natural", less so

if it's tarted up. Don't use the tree in the garden! Use some where it "doesn't

matter" (but plug the hole, anyway!). Elderberry is a great favourite. You can

also stick elderberries in with blackcurrant and apple to make pies, crumbles,

or even jam - elderberry jam or jelly is great (so is crab apple jelly, you've still

time to do this now)! Next year, drop a hint about elderflower - this is also a

sure-fire hit. It can be made sparkling, too. The elder bush is most useful, if

rather pungent in some applications. Anyway. I have to go to bed in a mo.

Hawthorn is good, but time-consuming to collect. Dandelion (from flowers) is

also very good. What else? *Beetroot*! Mature for at least two years. Lovely,

nothing *like* the taste of beetroot! Oh. Apple. Much stronger than cider,

which I'm drinkink now, and also easy to make. I wonder whether crab-apples

would do? Maybe a bit sharp.
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky wrote: Sounds good! I usually make elderflower cordial, but haven't attempted wine yet. Maybe next year eh? Apple sounds out of this world!


I did some cordial the year before last. It went mouldy very fast. Knickers.

Elderflower sorbet is a wonderful thing, which is what I'd intended making.
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky wrote: It lasts longer if you disinfect the bottle first. Milton or something similar works a treat! Lasts a couple of months like that.


I used those bottles with a porcelain stopper, a rubber washer, and a wire lever

arrangement to close them (dead "Newquay Extra Stout" bottles). The washers

were bleached (a little "thin" bleach in water is excellent for this), the bottles

and stoppers were baked very hot in the oven (over "boiling point"). I expect it

was contamination of the cordial, &/or insufficient sugar... will have a go again

some time.
User avatar
Galbally
Posts: 9755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:26 pm

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Galbally »

How do you ferment expensive wine and sell it to rich people for £600 a bottle, thats what I want to know, oh yeah, thats a good earner.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"



Le Rochefoucauld.



"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."



My dad 1986.
Okie
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:28 pm

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Okie »

Bill Sikes;436119 wrote: I have spent a few minutes looking into this. Interesting. Do you know of an

on-line resource giving a technical introduction, preferably with notes of an

international style?


No I dont. I think catawba grapes are named for the indian tribe who cultivated them. Locals here make wine from muskadynes(sp). wild grapes from the East part of Oklahoma. Very acidic grapes. Large as tame grapes. Some call it muskatel.
Okie
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:28 pm

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Okie »

Bill Sikes;436150 wrote: I haven't done cherry wine.... now the season's past, & I haven't time, anyway.

'Tater? Dunno. Sounds like a base for something to chuck through the still.

Parsnip, can be good. Birch wine, certainly, if it's plain and "natural", less so

if it's tarted up. Don't use the tree in the garden! Use some where it "doesn't

matter" (but plug the hole, anyway!). Elderberry is a great favourite. You can

also stick elderberries in with blackcurrant and apple to make pies, crumbles,

or even jam - elderberry jam or jelly is great (so is crab apple jelly, you've still

time to do this now)! Next year, drop a hint about elderflower - this is also a

sure-fire hit. It can be made sparkling, too. The elder bush is most useful, if

rather pungent in some applications. Anyway. I have to go to bed in a mo.

Hawthorn is good, but time-consuming to collect. Dandelion (from flowers) is

also very good. What else? *Beetroot*! Mature for at least two years. Lovely,

nothing *like* the taste of beetroot! Oh. Apple. Much stronger than cider,

which I'm drinkink now, and also easy to make. I wonder whether crab-apples

would do? Maybe a bit sharp.


When I was a young man I had a friend a bit younger than I. He made some sort of concoction from pineapples. I told him to bring a gallon and a bunch of us took to to a drive in theater. I took one large gulp and it was more terrible than anything I had even drank. but of course I did take a second drink. When I took the third drink, ny lips were numb and I was starting to sweat. After that I lost track of everything.I sort of recall going into my friends little guest house and later my dad leading me into my house backdoor. I was sick for three days. I could not eat. I suppose I got poison. Not sure.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by Nomad »

Okie;1227641 wrote: When I was a young man I had a friend a bit younger than I. He made some sort of concoction from pineapples. I told him to bring a gallon and a bunch of us took to to a drive in theater. I took one large gulp and it was more terrible than anything I had even drank. but of course I did take a second drink. When I took the third drink, ny lips were numb and I was starting to sweat. After that I lost track of everything.I sort of recall going into my friends little guest house and later my dad leading me into my house backdoor. I was sick for three days. I could not eat. I suppose I got poison. Not sure.


Same here. Parents made saki and burgundy. Vomited for 2 days.
I AM AWESOME MAN
rissa
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 am

How to Brew Cheap Wine

Post by rissa »

We,ve tried Potatoe Wine,

had to be watered down

with lemonade though.

Blew your head off neat.:D

Return to “Pub Nutters Inn”