Top retailer tells Muslims they can refuse to serve Pork and Alcohol

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Marks & Spencer tells Muslim staff they CAN refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork | Mail Online

Well excuse me then M and S while I never shop In your stores again.

Imagine the scenario...... you arrive at the checkout with a full trolley of shopping. The operator whizzes your groceries through the till and then he hits a bottle of wine or a leg of pork..... suddenly everything stops. He has to void all the Items he's already rung up. You're In a hurry and all the people behind you In the queue for the checkout are In a hurry. You then have to look around for another checkout where the operator doesn't look ' slightly foreign'. Thus you are forced Into a position of judging ethnicity by looks alone. You then have to cart your trolley and join another queue to get served.

What's next? Muslim only check out's ?

Marks and Spencers... get stuffed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

That would be a large percentage of customers then. Ham, bacon, sausages, then the alcohol. Doesn't seem workable to me
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1443057 wrote: That would be a large percentage of customers then. Ham, bacon, sausages, then the alcohol. Doesn't seem workable to me

Even something as Innocuous as Oxo cubes can contain pork fat.... It's ridiculous.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1443059 wrote: Even something as Innocuous as Oxo cubes can contain pork fat.... It's ridiculous.

Oxo cubes are not innocuous though are they ?

I very much doubt M and S are putting their devout muslim staff on the tills.

Giving the muslim staff the right to not serve stuff is the same as allowing staff with objections to smoking to avoid being put in the kiosk.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just far once I agree with oscar:confused:

More to the point why did they take on someone that wasn't prepared to do the work in the first place. M & S are primarily a clothing retailer but even so if someone is not preprepared to cover the tills when asked and it's part of the job just don't employ them. What if she decides she won't serve a woman wearing shorts and a crop top in summer or won't take orders from a non Muslim manager? I bring that last one up because I had an issue with a muslim supervisor and hindu women - to them he was little better than an untouchable and he was one of those who thought women inferior and treated them as such.
Oscar Namechange

If a Muslim working for M and S has a problem selling alcohol and pork, then gmc Is right. Put them on the clothing or household goods tills. The point Is, that the Islamic faith states Muslims should not sell alcohol or Pork, however, the Muslim staff are not actually selling It themselves.

It's the store that sells It and the money from the sale goes Into the store's account not the Muslim workers. The Muslim Is doing a job and handling the Items not selling.

eta

Oscar snorts Into her coffee and Inserts evil laugh....... just found this.

Well, that didn't go to plan then eh ?

Marks & Spencer is facing a boycott from hundreds of customers furious at the store’s decision to allow Muslim staff to refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork products.

The policy was revealed after customers trying to buy pork or alcohol from a Muslim shop assistant in central London were told they would have to use another till because of the cashier's religion.

The chain has admitted, however, that it has breached its own internal policy - by forcing its staff to choose between their beliefs and their responsibilties to the supermarket.

A spokesperson for M&S said that it works closely with employees with specific beliefs that restrict what food or drink they can handle, but on this occasion it had to “regret” that it had not followed its own guidelines.

“Where we have an employee whose religious beliefs restrict food or drink they can handle, we work closely with our member of staff to place them in suitable role, such as in our clothing department or bakery in foods.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... olicy.html
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I remember a young fellow in the kitchen, didn't speak much English, had tears in his eyes and was obviously uncomfortable because he had been told to stir a pate mixture by dipping his hand into it, it was up above his elbow before anyone noticed how distressed he was.
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1443095 wrote: I remember a young fellow in the kitchen, didn't speak much English, had tears in his eyes and was obviously uncomfortable because he had been told to stir a pate mixture by dipping his hand into it, it was up above his elbow before anyone noticed how distressed he was.

With very close Muslim pals, I am actually extremely respectful toward their culture. I don't expect any Muslim to do anything they are not comfortable with. I even put my dogs In the back yard outside when they come Inside... something I'd tell anyone else to get stuffed over.

Yet this scheme was doomed to fail from the start. Any employee of M and S or any of the other big retailers sign a work contract In which It should be clearly stated they have a duty to that store.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1443095 wrote: I remember a young fellow in the kitchen, didn't speak much English, had tears in his eyes and was obviously uncomfortable because he had been told to stir a pate mixture by dipping his hand into it, it was up above his elbow before anyone noticed how distressed he was.

What restaurant was that just so I can make sure to avoid it.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1443118 wrote: What restaurant was that just so I can make sure to avoid it.

When he tells you, let me know.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1443118 wrote: What restaurant was that just so I can make sure to avoid it.

You have set me off on a nostalgia trip now.....

It is no longer there.....the site still uses the name Trocadero

There was often a pot or something chucked at a rodent loose in the kitchen, walking from the basement changing rooms to street level the rats would scurry off the stairs ahead of you.

Return to “Social Human Rights”