The effects of disproportionate incarceration

spot

Post by spot »

One in nine African American children has an incarcerated parent. I take this figure from http://www.economicmobility.org/assets/ ... ration.pdf

How can anyone look at that figure and not recognize that it's a residual consequence of racial discrimination? Or that it's going to be self-perpetuating unless a major change is effected in the criminal justice system?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Post by Lon »

spot;1339352 wrote: One in nine African American children has an incarcerated parent. I take this figure from http://www.economicmobility.org/assets/ ... ration.pdf

How can anyone look at that figure and not recognize that it's a residual consequence of racial discrimination? Or that it's going to be self-perpetuating unless a major change is effected in the criminal justice system?

I agree that it's self perpetuating without change, but not sure it is the criminal justice system that needs the change nor do I believe that racial discrimination is the root cause. While true that some African Americans have been unjustly incarcerated (much publicized) so have Latinos and Caucasians (less publicized). The problem is a Social one, just like the high rate of unmarried teenage African American mothers.
spot

Post by spot »

If drug dealing was legal, nobody would go to jail for drug dealing. I just throw that observation in to support my "major change effected in the criminal justice system" comment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Post by Lon »

spot;1339357 wrote: If drug dealing was legal, nobody would go to jail for drug dealing. I just throw that observation in to support my "major change effected in the criminal justice system" comment.

No argument with that. Look at what we Californians will be voting on this November 2. I support this proposal. It will go a long way in reducing needless jail time for many.

Register to vote | yeson19.com
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1339360 wrote: No argument with that. Look at what we Californians will be voting on this November 2. I support this proposal. It will go a long way in reducing needless jail time for many.

Register to vote | yeson19.comThen there is the business side of the issue. For example, prison guards and prison officials are opposed to prop 19 because according to those groups it will mean jobs. Life is bad when jobs such as that are more important than justice. Another example where morality takes a back seat to survival fears.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

spot;1339352 wrote: One in nine African American children has an incarcerated parent. I take this figure from http://www.economicmobility.org/assets/ ... ration.pdf

It is interesting to note, that the facts themselves speak volumes about the rate of incarceration. It is even more evident when looking at the racial statistics from executions over the decades/centuries. When I finished that death penalty chapter, no one had ever graphed out the stats, and it made it more apparent that specific ethnic groups had a higher number when the graph was done. The book sits here still in the shrink wrap, I found that such a hard thing to think upon, and when I wrote it-I do not know if I ever want to look at it again. The discrepencies still exists, at lower rates-and it varies from region to region here in the U.S.

Return to “Social Human Rights”